Running too much?

Deeta
Deeta Posts: 1
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there such a thing as too much exercise? I figured the more calories burned the better, but should there be rest days in between days of running? I have been running every day, about 2-3 miles. I have also been tracking my calories and eating right, but haven't noticed much change after 4 solid weeks of doing it. Very discouraging....

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    2-3 miles is not an excessive amount (maybe 300-400 cal) but every day is probably not the best for your joints.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Rest days are just as important as workout days. It is recommended to have two rest days per week. That's not to say you shouldn't do anything on those days, but you should keep it low impact, like walking instead of running or doing something like yoga.
  • I would attempt to run more each time and push yourself, but even if your dont get results atleast use it as therapy. I enjoy walking for that reason. Rest days are recommended too and try walking which can be just as much fun especially if you have a friend of a dog to walk with.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Your body needs rest days to rebuild and repair the muscles. My biggest losses are actually the morning after a rest day because the swelling in my muscles has gone down. As a college athlete, we were required to take 1 full day off a week. That meant no running, no gym and no swimming. You can (if you would like) take a short easy walk, but that would be about all I would do.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Here are a few articles as to why it's improtant:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/injuryprevention/ss/Exercise-Donts_4.htm
    http://www.fitness-health.co.uk/rest-period-between-workouts.htm
    http://www.indoorclimbing.com/carbohydrates.html

Either way, you also need to look at what you are eating. Losing weight is about 80% diet and 20% exercise so even if you are working out, maybe you need to reevaluate what you are eating? It's hard to say without being able to see your diary.
  • I think it is possible to run to often. I have started running again recently, and I try to take one day of rest a week. This rest doesn't always have to be a complete break from working out. For example I usually run three to four miles in a workout, but on a rest day I may ride the stationary bike or weight train instead. If you are not feeling pain from running everyday I don't see a reason that you would have to take a break though. As far as results go, I was unsure as to whether you were concerned with lack of results from a weight loss or running ability aspect? I too am unimpressed with my weight loss results; however, if I am very critical when I post my food entries to this site I can see the reason. As far as running quality I am making slow progress at increasing run distance and dropping mile time. I think this is also helping with the weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.