Abdominal obesity and anterior pelvic tilt..any suggestions?

Options
I will admit that I have a fair amount of belly fat hanging off of me. However, most of the rest of my body is muscle or lean. I have been checked out and have been told that I have anterior pelvic tilt and abdominal obesity (37inch waist).

Any ideas on how to combat this?

I am about 5'8" and female at 163-5lbs

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what you need to lose the fat. Stick with your calories that MFP has given you to lose weight at 1 lbs a week.
    Start working out.
    Cardio and a deficit will really help with the visceral fat around your organs.

Either get a PT to help with your posture, or take a yoga class. Iyengar yoga would be good. An on line class may not be as good as you will not get the posture corrections you need.

Some kind of resistance work will help with muscle strength, including your abs) and bone density.

Cheers, h.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Physiotherapy, yoga, Pilates etc.
    Eating at a deficit...
    You can't spot reduce. But you can work on your posture.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    from what I've found looking into that issue myself, weak ab muscles, lots of sitting that leads to muscle imbalance contribute. Having a belly that you have to carry around also makes your body compensate -if you don't have strong abs to help hold it up, it drags your front down, which tilts your pelvis and makes your behind stick out. standing sideways in front of a mirror, squeeze your abs, and you'll see your posture correct itself. You can youtube simple exercises to work on it. not an expert, just working hard to fix my own posture.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Anterior pelvic tilt is kind of an overdiagnosed condition, because having a big belly (or big butt) makes the pelvis appear tilted. But if you're sure you have it, stretch your hip flexors and lower back every hour or 2 - search Youtube for instructions. Also search for how to contract your transverse abdominis muscle. Practice that *all day long*. There is no substitute.

For the fat, a simple calorie deficit. People with central obesity seem to respond better on lower carb diets (<50% of calories), especially women with PCOS. :+1:
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes, stretching your hips, quads, and psoas will help. Ditto for doing core exercises. If you haven't yet met with a physical therapist, please try to do so. It helps to have someone teach you the proper way to improve your posture.