Terrified to start working out again after back pain

Options
Hi two months ago i had a severe back pain and it took me two months to get back to normal with physical therapy, chiropractor, medicines. Now I am terrified to attempt to go back to any excercise. Anyone had same experience? Its becoming psycological now I think I have constant back pain. I will probably go back to my doc to check up before attempting anything. Needless to say that I gained weight in these two months by practically not moving. Share your experience please!

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Go slow!

You don't say what exercises/lifts caused the back pain. So, I'll just suggested starting again only with body weight exercises. If you don't have any pain doing that, start using LIGHT weights and work your way back up. Of course, if you experience any further pain, just STOP!

It is all too easy to come back too soon after an injury but you seldom hear anyone say that they came back too late. Slow and steady is the best course.

Good luck!

PS: I suffered an SI joint injury that caused severe pain and caused me to stop lifting for 3 years! Got an MRI, steroid injections in the joint and chiropractic treatment. Nothing worked except the time off. Didn't plan to lay off that long, just happened that way but it was the best thing that I could do. Started lifting again 3 months ago w/o pain. So, at least in my case, rest was the answer.
  • chemtrailz
    chemtrailz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    yeah take it slow and in no time you will feel better about it . remember to stretch everyday
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have a shoulder injury. i worked with my pt to figure out what to do and how to progress
  • jzazj
    jzazj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, check with your doctor before restarting any exercise program, and I second going slow. After injuries in the past, the pool has always been my best friend. You can usually find some adaptive exercise to help you work your way back to whatever you love to do. Good Luck!
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and decided that i would work with a trainer for a few sessions because i needed to learn the difference between bad back pain and good back pain - the good being the one that comes with muscle fatigue from strength training. I also learned really focused on strengthening core and glutes and all the muscles that support my lower back. I have a good PT who really helped with this, too. I know the fear of "one wrong move"! Good luck.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Go back to you physio/chiro and other medical providers...A good physio will give you active rehab directions and tell you what to do and what not.....
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answers I got injured by simply seating too long working at desk. For a period of time when getting up from the chair I felt back pain until one day that i could not move anymore! In fact my physical therapist found a very very tight glutes muscles and hips flectors. The rule of seating correctly and stretching up every 15 min would have saved me two months of hell. Today i tried to ride a bike for a bit and I was fine but if i bend to fo cleaning in the house I feel discomfort so I stop. My house is a mess!
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    WWnot wrote: »
    I had the same problem and decided that i would work with a trainer for a few sessions because i needed to learn the difference between bad back pain and good back pain - the good being the one that comes with muscle fatigue from strength training. I also learned really focused on strengthening core and glutes and all the muscles that support my lower back. I have a good PT who really helped with this, too. I know the fear of "one wrong move"! Good luck.

Yes that is what I am thinking there is a specialize pilates private class in pain management and back pain, this is where I am heading, so there is hope .....
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have had back pain since 08 (arthritis). I got to the point where I gave up everything. Physical therapy, blah blah blah. I started weight training again, and my back has not felt better in a long time. I started off easy, and gradually progressed. I have lost 30 lbs. so far as well. I'm no Dr., but it worked for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I use to have horrible back pain. When I lost weight, it got better. I worked out and got stronger, and my back got even better. I do not have chronic back pain anymore. You need to start slow, with doctor approved exercises, but keep progressing. It can get better.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Proper exercise and core strengthening will help. My back pain has largely disappeared with weight loss and strength training.