Do I have an eating disorder of some sort or is this considered normal?

Options
SweeTemptation95
SweeTemptation95 Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2016 in Motivation and Support
For the past two years or so, I've struggled with binge eating episodes 2-3 times a month (sometimes less, sometimes more). The first binge I've ever had was triggered by a food restriction diet for allergies. I was also eating 1200 calories while exercising vigorously everyday at the age of 17 (the year I started using mfp). I had a fear of eating certain foods prior to that and barely ate enough as a teenager. Once I became more comfortable with eating a little bit of everything, I slowly gained 10 pounds and started getting comments on how well I was filling out my clothing. I took this the wrong way and even though I wasn't overweight, I started using mfp for the purpose of losing at least 5 of the 10 pounds I gained. After about a year of counting calories, I began binge eating frequently and punishing myself afterwards by doing 48 hour fasts and over-exercising to the point of feeling faint. I was somehow able to maintain or even lose weight for the most part.
Once I turned 20, everything took a turn for the worse. I began binge eating more often, fasting for longer periods of time and feeling extremely upset, guilty and depressed after binge eating. I looked into intermittent fasting hoping it would cure my problem, but I believe it's only made things worse. I've gone the past month and a half without binge eating (knock on wood), but I only eat one giant meal a day. I eat all of my calories (1500) in one sitting during the morning hours, but I don't eat again until the next morning. I've been doing this for the past few months. I'm usually ravenous when I wake up and have trouble sleeping due to hunger. I find myself thinking about food ALL day long and praying I don't give in to my cravings. It makes me feel anxious and depressed 24/7. To top it all off, I haven't been able to lose weight despite exercising for over an hour a day. I've been sitting at 116-117 pounds (I'm 5'4) for the past few months. My body's not letting me lose any more weight and I've been feeling deprived even though I incorporate some treats in my diet. What gives? Is there something wrong with my relationship with food?
Thanks for reading. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    At 5'4" and 116 lbs, you are on the middle to low end of the "normal" range for your height, so you may want to consider WHY you want to lose more weight.

I am not a professional, but the thoughts and behaviors you are describing sound like you do not have a healthy relationship with food and/or your body. You might want to consider seeking professional advice.

24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.r23.cf1.rackcdn.com/mfp-en.vanillaforums.com/editor/5p/x7ls2ra5kb8y.gif[/img]

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned then you should seek out professional advice.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • lorenlesley
    lorenlesley Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts about seeking professional help. Talk to your primary care physician first and they will lead you in the right direction. Be honest about everything, like you just did here!!! I used to binge eat with my emotions. The more depressed I got, the more I binged. The more stress I felt, the more I ate. A healthy relationship with food comes from loving yourself and treating your body as a temple for nourishment. You will get there, you just need some support/guidence from the right people.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on a month and a half without binging. If you’re thinking about food all day, and it’s making you feel anxious and depressed 24/7, then something about your relationship with food is definitely out of sorts. But if you're asking the question, you probably already know that.

If you’re not losing, then you’re eating at maintenance. You look very tiny. It might be time to try a different approach, less cardio more weights/recomp or even a bulk. Definitely keep looking at ed resources and perhaps professional help. You can read tons of stories about how these kinds of issues can take over and destroy people's lives.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fasting, eating 1500 calories, saving it for one meal, wanting to be at the lower end of your healthy weight range, and using exercise as a method of calories out.

However, the way you are approaching these methods is what's concerning, and also what's leading to your frantic binge episodes. This is where the problem lies, and why seeking professional help is ideal.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think you already know the answer to your question, you just need someone to help you confirm it. I don't think anyone on here will do that for you. You probably should seek medical counseling. I wish you the best!
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For the past two years or so, I've struggled with binge eating episodes 2-3 times a month (sometimes less, sometimes more). The first binge I've ever had was triggered by a food restriction diet for allergies. I was also eating 1200 calories while exercising vigorously everyday at the age of 17 (the year I started using mfp). I had a fear of eating certain foods prior to that and barely ate enough as a teenager. Once I became more comfortable with eating a little bit of everything, I slowly gained 10 pounds and started getting comments on how well I was filling out my clothing. I took this the wrong way and even though I wasn't overweight, I started using mfp for the purpose of losing at least 5 of the 10 pounds I gained. After about a year of counting calories, I began binge eating frequently and punishing myself afterwards by doing 48 hour fasts and over-exercising to the point of feeling faint. I was somehow able to maintain or even lose weight for the most part.
    Once I turned 20, everything took a turn for the worse. I began binge eating more often, fasting for longer periods of time and feeling extremely upset, guilty and depressed after binge eating. I looked into intermittent fasting hoping it would cure my problem, but I believe it's only made things worse. I've gone the past month and a half without binge eating (knock on wood), but I only eat one giant meal a day. I eat all of my calories (1500) in one sitting during the morning hours, but I don't eat again until the next morning. I've been doing this for the past few months. I'm usually ravenous when I wake up and have trouble sleeping due to hunger. I find myself thinking about food ALL day long and praying I don't give in to my cravings. It makes me feel anxious and depressed 24/7. To top it all off, I haven't been able to lose weight despite exercising for over an hour a day. I've been sitting at 116-117 pounds (I'm 5'4) for the past few months. My body's not letting me lose any more weight and I've been feeling deprived even though I incorporate some treats in my diet. What gives? Is there something wrong with my relationship with food?
    Thanks for reading. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

This, in bold, is more than enough to justify seeking professional help. Now, whether or not you have an eating disorder ... we should leave it to the health practitioner to confirm the diagnosis, and the treatment.

So take care - and take an appointment as soon as you can.
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Food-wise, I'm wondering if your protein and calorie intake are adequate. Perhaps try more protein (roasted chicken leg & thigh, hard-boiled egg, cheese sticks, yogurt, tuna salad). Also, allowing yourself to have a hearty soup and salad for a dinner meal (in addition to your morning meal) might carry you along.