Appalled at the amt of sodium in these tortillas!

nburns325
nburns325 Posts: 174
edited 11:33AM in Food and Nutrition
So as my sweetie and I sat down to enjoy a healthy and quick dinner last night of grilled chicken, low-fat cheese, plain greek yogurt, black beans, corn and salsa on whole-wheat tortillas, I thought, wow, this is becoming one of our favorite "fast foods" at home when things just get too busy to cook a big meal. And pretty healthy too, carbs, protein, fiber, etc... UNTIL I logged the food into MFP... wow, 150 cals for the tortilla and... get this... 460 mgs of sodium - ARE YOU KIDDIN ME?! Holy cow... I was like, well, there goes my sodium intake for the night! We had just got back from camping over the weekend and had a bit of sodium overload there... I was trying to cut the sodium now that we were back... I'm still amazed. Oh and the tortillas were the Mission Mulit-Grain medium tortillas... whole grains and 5 grams of fiber... I must've been in a daze when I bought these!

So MFP friends, which tortillas do you recommend that are whole grain and/or whole wheat, full of fiber and DON'T taste like cardboard? I've had some and man, I'd rather eat cardboard, lol!!!

Replies

• micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Your best bet for really low sodium is a corn tortilla, not as high fiber as some, but still a gram each and roughly 50 mg of sodium.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    La Banderita Low Carb Tortillas. 81 calories a piece!!! And here's what we put in them.

Grilled chicken, sautee some onion, 1 poblano pepper and 1 red pepper. Add some Italian Rose salsa, low sodium black beans, and some reduced fat cheddar jack cheese. Then I roll the burrito and grill it for a bit. Very yummy!
  • AmberM6912
    AmberM6912 Posts: 79
    I would LOVE to know what everyone recommends as well. I totally agree with the cardboard statement!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Fal - Tumaro's Gourmet Tortilla - Multigrain Low-In-Carbs 94% Fat Free.

I think they're expensive...10 tortillas for about 3.50 - 4 bucks! They're low sodium...85 mg per tortilla. 60 cals and 11 g of carbs, with 7 g of fiber and 6 g of protein!
  • nburns325
    Your best bet for really low sodium is a corn tortilla, not as high fiber as some, but still a gram each and roughly 50 mg of sodium.

I'll have to check em out. I'm diabetic and need to make sure there's a healthy balance of carbs and fiber. But thanks!!! :)
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    I eat Joseph's oat bran, flax and whole wheat tortilla...they are around 300 mg of sodium and 70 cals :) really good flavor and FIBER!
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    I've noticed that a lot of products that are whole grain and more fiber have more sodium in them... Just a couple like whole wheat english muffins have almost 100 grams more sodium than the regular ones. Ridiculous.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Oh man! Secret sodium can be ridiculous. Have you ever tried making your own? I don't have a recipe myself, but my old college roommate used to make her own. It's definitely easier to control sodium when your hand is the one putting on the salt.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    i buy them mexican fajita kits, and stinge the tortillas out of the,.
    they taste pretty good and if i remember there only like 40 calories each.. or maybe thats how long to cook them for..
    i forget.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    I like these
    Mission - Carb Balance Whole Wheat Tortilla Plus Small Fajita 1 tortilla Calories 80 Carbs 12 Fat 2 Protein 3 Sodium 220 Fiber 8
  • nburns325
    I've noticed that a lot of products that are whole grain and more fiber have more sodium in them... Just a couple like whole wheat english muffins have almost 100 grams more sodium than the regular ones. Ridiculous.

Amazing, isn't? You try to get healthier one way and it gets you another!!!
  • AerikaJ
    AerikaJ Posts: 11 Member

I think they're expensive...10 tortillas for about 3.50 - 4 bucks! They're low sodium...85 mg per tortilla. 60 cals and 11 g of carbs, with 7 g of fiber and 6 g of protein!

These are my go-to tortillas. I can't believe how good they taste for 60 calories. Just made fish taco(wraps) with them the other night...delicious.
  • nburns325

These are my go-to tortillas. I can't believe how good they taste for 60 calories. Just made fish taco(wraps) with them the other night...delicious.

Can you get these at just the local grocery store or are they harder to find???
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member

Can you get these at just the local grocery store or are they harder to find???

I have found them at Kroger's and Meijer's stores. Kroger has it cheaper, though. ;)
    I love taking a Tbs of Jif's All Natural PB and making that my go to snack.
    I keep them in the fridge...don't have to but like AerikaJ said, they are tasty. :)

Good luck!!
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    How about the La Tortilla Factory Low Fat/Low Sodium Tortillas? They're available in my local grocery stores and have 110 cals, 1.5 fat, 120 sodium, 23 carbs, 4 fiber, 1 sugar, and 4 protein.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    I usually get my tortillas at Trader Joe's but Acme was closer so picked up a few things last night. I needed tortillas and was also surprised at how high Mission's sodium, 500mg. I ended up getting La Tortilla Factory but they weren't so great. I'm sticking to Trader Joe's whole grain or corn tortillas.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    150 cals for the tortilla and... get this... 460 mgs of sodium - ARE YOU KIDDIN ME?! Holy cow... I was like, well, there goes my sodium intake for the night!
    460mg is only a fifth of the maximum recommended daily intake; I know you'd already been overdoing it on that day, but on a day when you're otherwise eating healthily that wouldn't be too much for a savoury dish.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    but on a day when you're otherwise eating healthily that wouldn't be too much for a savoury dish.
    Yes if you were only eating the tortilla, but most likely there will be other things put in it or on it that will have sodium too, so that is very high just for a tortilla, in my opinion.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Ole foods Xtreme wellness low carb tortillas are DELICIOUS! I use them for sandwich wraps, pizzas, and tacos/burritos/quesadillas. They are 71 calories, 12 g fiber. They do have 220 mg of sodium, but they aren't the teeny tortillas. They're the burrito size. They're soft and pure yumminess. :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    How about the La Tortilla Factory Low Fat/Low Sodium Tortillas? They're available in my local grocery stores and have 110 cals, 1.5 fat, 120 sodium, 23 carbs, 4 fiber, 1 sugar, and 4 protein.

MMM! You won't believe La Tortilla Factory's tortillas are low fat and low cal. I recommend these as well.
This discussion has been closed.