Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Options
Alice_NotInONEderland
Alice_NotInONEderland Posts: 20 Member
edited August 2016 in Chit-Chat
I hope it's ok for me to post things here that aren't weight loss related.

I'm having a really tough time with life in general right now. I don't have any friends to talk to.

Here's one of my biggest/most pressing predicaments:

I've worked for a large biomedical company for several years as a contractor. I'm well liked and very competent. Recently my department has started cutting contract positions in favor of directly hiring people that they don't want to lose. I've been encouraged by many people to apply for a direct position and so I have. My problem: I don't have a high school diploma. I've never lied to anyone or even suggested that I did have one. However I do suspect that the company who contracts me may have lied about it (I had disclosed it to them).

What would you do in this situation? Obviously I'm not going to lie about it if asked point blank but besides that I don't know what to do. I basically have no education. I'm so nervous and upset with myself.

Replies

• Alice_NotInONEderland
    edited August 2016
    Options
    GED is not an immediate option. I have taken and passed 4 out of 5 GED tests but I need tutoring to pass the math test.
  • JChadwick22
    JChadwick22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If they say something. Tell the truth and promise to enroll in tutoring and finish up your GED. If your a value to the company, I'm sure letting you go would not be their first thought.
  • _birdie__
    _birdie__ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't say anything, it might not come up. if it does come up in an interview, offer to finish your GED within a certain amount of time as a condition of them hiring you
  • Alice_NotInONEderland
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I had pretty much decided that I would not talk about it unless it was brought up, I just wanted to hear that it was a sane thing to do. If it doesn't come up and I do get the job I'm still definitely going to get tutoring and finish the last test so that I never have to worry about it again.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So, I work in Talent Acquisition for a pretty large financial services Company. We check education background religiously. We're not anal about it. For example, if a position says it requires a bachelors and a potential hire doesn't have it, but does have an associates or a HS diploma, we are fine with that unless it's a very high profile role.

We would even take someone in certain roles with a GED, especially if they disclosed it to begin with. Now - I am not saying that your candidacy is in danger or anything, but if this particular company checks education backgrounds, they are going to see it. Your best bet - if you are chosen for the role, disclose this information to the hiring manger, and let them make the call. Most of the time, we defer to whatever the hiring manager for the role decides, regardless of the job description.

I hope that helps a little :)
  • Alice_NotInONEderland
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    So, I work in Talent Acquisition for a pretty large financial services Company. We check education background religiously. We're not anal about it. For example, if a position says it requires a bachelors and a potential hire doesn't have it, but does have an associates or a HS diploma, we are fine with that unless it's a very high profile role.

We would even take someone in certain roles with a GED, especially if they disclosed it to begin with. Now - I am not saying that your candidacy is in danger or anything, but if this particular company checks education backgrounds, they are going to see it. Your best bet - if you are chosen for the role, disclose this information to the hiring manger, and let them make the call. Most of the time, we defer to whatever the hiring manager for the role decides, regardless of the job description.

Thanks for this. I have received professional certifications in the time I've worked there and they are listed as "preferred" for the position (while HSD is listed as required) so I wondered if that could help me. I guess my biggest concern is that they could freak out that I've been working for them all of this time without a high school diploma or GED and just fire me on the spot. I do have an old email where I tell the company I work through that I DO NOT have one, at least I have that to back up the fact that I disclosed it to them as I should have.

I feel so stupid. I passed most parts of the GED without any sort of preparation (also, just found out those scores "expired" and I'll have to take all 5 again) but I CAN'T do math, algebra specifically (it's not like I can't do basic math). It makes me look like a fool =/
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Since you've been given the right answer, I want to say one more thing. Don't borrow trouble from the future. You have a plan for how you're going to deal with this if it comes up, that was productive, but worrying isn't.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    If you attended high school just put the name of the school. They wont go checking to see if you graduated (white lie). You already work there so they know your work ethic and competence levels. I work a job that in most industries would require a minimum 4 year degree. I didn't even hang in for my 2 year degree. I got where I am through hard work, work ethic, and common sense smarts. Most of my coworkers hold high level degrees and I can work circles around them in my field and have better results. Education has its place but most college graduates don't even get to apply what they went to school for in their career path (I said most don't get your noses out of joint) .
  • Alice_NotInONEderland
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone who replied here. I have now found out a few things since posting this: 1) They absolutely DO include education in their background checks-I asked a trusted coworker 2) There are new versions of the test with easier math sections and I passed all 5 pretests so I'm now registered to take all of them this Thursday!

I REALLY hope I pass!

• lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone who replied here. I have now found out a few things since posting this: 1) They absolutely DO include education in their background checks-I asked a trusted coworker 2) There are new versions of the test with easier math sections and I passed all 5 pretests so I'm now registered to take all of them this Thursday!

I REALLY hope I pass!

Hey good luck please let us know how it goes!
  • Alice_NotInONEderland
    Options
    I PASSED! I PASSED! I PASSED! I even scored a 16/20 on the Math portion. I can barely even believe it. So happy I could cry.
  • Alice_NotInONEderland
    Options
    Since you've been given the right answer, I want to say one more thing. Don't borrow trouble from the future. You have a plan for how you're going to deal with this if it comes up, that was productive, but worrying isn't.

Had to mention that I can't tell you how much I appreciated this bit of advice. I have a serious worrying problem and this was perfect. Thank you so much
  • lenoresdream
    Options
    I PASSED! I PASSED! I PASSED! I even scored a 16/20 on the Math portion. I can barely even believe it. So happy I could cry.

Yessssssss great job! And thanks for the update! How did the job situation go? Let us know!
  • Alice_NotInONEderland
    Options
    Yessssssss great job! And thanks for the update! How did the job situation go? Let us know!

THANKS!!!!!

The position I applied for is still pending but I had a second interview and have a phone interview with Global HR tomorrow. And maybe I'm projecting here but I swear everyone keeps talking to me like they've already given me the job. I'm really excited. :)
  • lenoresdream
    Options

THANKS!!!!!

The position I applied for is still pending but I had a second interview and have a phone interview with Global HR tomorrow. And maybe I'm projecting here but I swear everyone keeps talking to me like they've already given me the job. I'm really excited. :)

That's great news! Very proud of you! Sending all the positive job winning energy your way!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I was absent from this thread - GREAT WORK on passing :) Can't wait to hear what comes next.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »

I used to do home health scheduling. The position desired a licensed practical nurse (associates degree). I didn't have one but I have a cna certificate and had worked my way into the position.
  • tlucas62
    tlucas62 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Great Job!