Fruit

So I heard from someone that fruit is not as good for you as it is suppose to be cause of the sugar, is that true, or is there fruit that is good to eat for weight loss? I like to eat peaches, bananas, cherries, sometimes apples and wAtermelon

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    edited August 2016
    Does it fit your calorie goals? Does it fit your other goals? Doyou like it? If yes, go ahead and eat it. Too many calories is what makes you gain weight, not any specific food item.
  • gdubb_flow
    gdubb_flow Posts: 10 Member
    Yes it's true...but if u minimize fruit intake should hurt much...
  • shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 229 Member
    I put a medium banana or peach in oatmeal, then I either eat a peach or 21 cherries at lunch time, and sometimes I'll have one of the three or some watermelon at dinner time, fruit is pretty much a replacement for me to keep away from chocolate and candy, I maybe will have a small sucker but that's only a couple of times a month
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Eat your fruit if you like. For me it is too high sugar/high calorie for what I get from it. If you like it, weigh it and log it.
  • shortygirl1987
    I thought about going a week without fruit just to see what it does for me not to have any sugar even from fruit, but I have a sweet tooth and fruit is something that helps me lol
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    There's no such thing as fruit to eat for weight loss, that's a myth. Fruit is food from nature so it's absolutely fine to eat. That being said, excess fruit seems unnecessary. Especially if you're aware of how the body deals with the fructose in fruit.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Fit it in your calorie goals and fructose isn't going to hurt you. The sugar you get from processed foods will. Like the "all fat is bad" message we lived through in the 80's and early 90's, my guess is that sugar is shaping up to be the new bad guy...a message being taken to extremes.

The sugar craze at the moment means people would be cutting fruit out of their diet because it contains naturally occurring sugars. And sugar is the bad guy right now and people are freaking out about it. Fruit however, has so much more to offer than sugars - vitamins, minerals, fibre....

In regards to sugar, if it comes off a plant, eat it. If it comes out of a plant, don't.
  • shortygirl1987
    There's no such thing as fruit to eat for weight loss, that's a myth. Fruit is food from nature so it's absolutely fine to eat. That being said, excess fruit seems unnecessary. Especially if you're aware of how the body deals with the fructose in fruit.

Well I try to only eat one whole piece of fruit at each meal or at breakfast and lunch
  • BodyzLanguage
    So 2/3 fruits a day? Seems alright to me. Personally, even while eating 2400 cals 2 pieces of fruit are enough for me.
  • shortygirl1987
    So 2/3 fruits a day? Seems alright to me. Personally, even while eating 2400 cals 2 pieces of fruit are enough for me.

I eat less than that, I try to stay within 1200 but some days it doesn't happen
  • BodyzLanguage

I eat less than that, I try to stay within 1200 but some days it doesn't happen

Oh right, if the need to have fruit is putting you over your calories for the day then making cuts elsewhere in your diet will be a good idea.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Fruit is good for you as long as you get in enough of all the nutrients you need and not too much of anything. No foods are good to eat for weight loss. A sustained calorie deficit is what creates weight loss. A varied and balanced diet is good for you and can make you feel satisfied while eating less calories than usual and thus lessen the urge to overeat, but you can eat anything and lose weight. I'd suggest you don't even track sugar unless your doctor has told you to limit sugar.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Fruit is great but honestly if you're eating 1200 calories, and 300-400 is coming from fruit per day, you're missing out on other important macro and micronutrients. Where's your protein? Where's you fat?

It's one thing if someone is chowing down on a bunch of fruit but has 2000 calories to eat for the day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Fruit is good for you as long as you get in enough of all the nutrients you need and not too much of anything. No foods are good to eat for weight loss. A sustained calorie deficit is what creates weight loss. A varied and balanced diet is good for you and can make you feel satisfied while eating less calories than usual and thus lessen the urge to overeat, but you can eat anything and lose weight. I'd suggest you don't even track sugar unless your doctor has told you to limit sugar.

This.

I like fruit and find it filling, but I go through stages -- tend to eat lots of it in the summer (local fruits) and not that much in the winter. I tend to use it as a substitute for other carbs of similar calories or perhaps sweets, not vegetables (I make sure to eat lots of veg all year round) or protein.

If eating fruit makes it easier to hit your calorie goals and other goals and stay satiated, that means they are good for weight loss, for you. If they make it harder, you might want to eat less. Most people don't eat huge amounts of fruit, but some seem to just love it and go overboard if they don't watch it, so know yourself. (I love many fruits, but don't tend to overeat them.)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Fruit is good. It does have sugar, but that's not added sugar (added refined sugar is the bad sugar). Fruit has alot of nutrients so it's better then a muffin, donut, ect. But too much of anything can be bad.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    So I heard from someone that fruit is not as good for you as it is suppose to be cause of the sugar, is that true, or is there fruit that is good to eat for weight loss? I like to eat peaches, bananas, cherries, sometimes apples and wAtermelon

My daily intake is usually a large apple (like 200g), grapes, strawberries and blueberries. And I have no issue losing weight. Sugar isn't what effects weight loss, it's calories.

Also, if you are exercising, 1200 calories might not be appropriate for you, but that is a whole other topic.