Burning fat or muscle

Options
So I met with my nutritionist again today and learned so much. Had a two hour sit down to go over everything. Great info max. I found out that my aggressive calorie deficit was to much to start at. Have to leave room to adjust your calorie intake when you hit plateau s. So I had to adjust my calorie intake up 800 cal. Which I was very hesitant to do but once he taught me the math and facts of calorie intakes needed for your personal bmr along with body fat percentages for cutting and bulking he had my attention. he showed me his journal when he was cutting and his calorie intake for 3100 and his bmr was much lower than mine. But his results were great. So guess I have to add 800 more cals. My goals I currently set before I was defenitly gonna lose weight but at the cost of lean muscle tissue loss. So if your trying to lose weight and want to lose as little muscle tissue as possible do not so your weekly weight loss goals any higher than 1% of your total body weight. One pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. So for example I weigh 260lbs my bmr is 3700 calories if my goal was to lose 1% of my body weight each week, I would lose 2.6 lbs each week I order to meet that goal I need to take 2.6 lbs of fat calories which is 9100 calories. I need to divide that 2.6 lbs goal of 9100 by 7 (day per week) to get my calorie deficit per day. So my number is 1300. So I would take my bmr and subtract my deficit leaving me with 2400 calories per week to lose fat rather than both fat and muscle. Don't forget to add extra calories you lose due to workouts.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    BMR is your base metabolic rate: calories you burn just being alive with no activity. The number you're using is TDEE, total daily energy expenditure, which includes all activity in a day.
  • foxrider2005
    foxrider2005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh ok thank you for the correction
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @capaul42, it is his NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) not TDEE. The last sentence says to eat exercise calories.
    He is following the same calculation MFP uses.

Well done on getting an adequate amount of calories @foxrider2005.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You're still gonna lose some muscle

All scale weight loss is made up of fat, muscle and water loss

The lower the defecit and the more attention to progressive resistance training and protein the more muscle you will preserve in defecit..but you are still going to lose some

I see why middlehaitch is saying, and she's technically right ..but I would worry that you have actually already included your exercise in getting your calories at 3700

For a NEAT calculation the activity excludes purposeful exercise...unless you have an active job or are constantly on the move at work I would be very careful on eating back exercise calories on top - basically that's someone who is fairly active all day

The numbers seem like TDEE but we don't know how you spend your days ..are you active without your purposeful exercise ?