Starting over and need help

Options
amwoods72
amwoods72 Posts: 35 Member
So I am back at this trying to lose weight thing :blush: I joined Planet Fitness and walk about 3 miles or so at least 5-6 times a week. I put an incline to it and walk between 3.0 and 3.5 mph. I sweat like crazy doing this. I have lost about 6 pounds so far by doing portion control, but basically eating anything I want. Is walking and burning about 472 calories each time a good workout and will I see good results this way? I don't feel clothes are any looser yet, but I don't expect it to be with 6 pounds. I want to add some weights as I lose a little to hopefully make it a little easier. Has anyone lost weight and inches walking? Also is it OK that I am way under all my counts on Myfitnesspal or do I have to meet them for optimal results? Thanks for your help and I hope to continue this this time around!!!

Replies

• scottishmammy
    scottishmammy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but just wanted to say good luck on your journey. My only exercise at the moment is walking and I believe that along with staying within my calorie goals and not consuming my 'workout calories' I will see a difference. Good luck :)
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome back. well done losing so far, that's great. another few pounds and you might notice looseness more in your clothes. I walk at least 5 miles at work most days and found that a big help losing.

Are you meeting your calorie goal for the day? it's best to try and eat to your daily amount, and even eat some exercise calories, though not all. I've found that i need to fuel my body to lose weight, odd as that may sound but my body is a law unto itself lol.

good luck x
  • amwoods72
    amwoods72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am usually under my calorie goal and I have people freaking me out saying that being under my goal will cause me to gain because my body thinks it's starving, but I am NOT hungry LOL!! I won't eat when not hungry. I try to get 3 small meals and some snacks in a day. According to this site, I am under my goals I know I have to up my workouts soon with weights, but right now I am burning over 500 calories each time I walk. I just want to see a difference soon :(
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am joining Planet Fitness in about an hour. I'm so excited. I do think if you added working out to your routine and watch your food.. you can't help but lose. My plan is to work out each evening after work and replace the happy hour cocktails and bad food I eat during the 5-7 pm hours. In my mind… that's gotta work! I'll friend request you..and we can encourage each other.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 85-90% calorie deficit and the rest is from exercise (at least that is my non professional opinion after losing 119 lbs since January of this year). You want to lose? Eat less. It's simple, but not easy. Know your BMR (google it) and know that if you want to lose a lb a week you need to be under your BMR by 500 everyday, to lose 2 lbs it's 1000 everyday. (This doesn't account for exercise calories). I do not eat back exercise calories, that is my choice. I started my journey just walking as you are now but was quickly starting the C25K running program and am now able to run 6.25 miles in an hour and I also life for about 80-90 minutes 3x a week. My loss has slowed the smaller I get, but that's what's happened as my BMR started at like 2800 and is now down to 2300. Keep working hard, if you are diligent everyday you will get results. Weigh and log all your food meticulously and make guesses as infrequently as possible. Trust the process and you will hit your goals
  • ERI2199317
    ERI2199317 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 85-90% calorie deficit and the rest is from exercise (at least that is my non professional opinion after losing 119 lbs since January of this year). You want to lose? Eat less. It's simple, but not easy. Know your BMR (google it) and know that if you want to lose a lb a week you need to be under your BMR by 500 everyday, to lose 2 lbs it's 1000 everyday. (This doesn't account for exercise calories). I do not eat back exercise calories, that is my choice. I started my journey just walking as you are now but was quickly starting the C25K running program and am now able to run 6.25 miles in an hour and I also life for about 80-90 minutes 3x a week. My loss has slowed the smaller I get, but that's what's happened as my BMR started at like 2800 and is now down to 2300. Keep working hard, if you are diligent everyday you will get results. Weigh and log all your food meticulously and make guesses as infrequently as possible. Trust the process and you will hit your goals

Great advice, I agree with avoiding to eat any exercise calories because we can over estimate what we actually burn off (human nature). Best of luck to all!
  • optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    walking is great, anything that gets you moving. Definitely invest in a food scale so you can properly track your portions/calories. It 110% works when you do this.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Please do not use your BMR as your base calories. This is your basic metabolic rate- the calories you would burn in a coma.

MFP uses a NEAT (None Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) calculation which includes tour BMR and your normal everyday activities. Not exercise.

Your weight loss calorie goal is in the basic calories MFP gives you and you are expected to eat all the calories plus eat back your exercise calories. (Start with 50-75% of your burn and adjust so you are losing at your weekly goal) You need the extra fuel to perform well when exercising, or to prevent you becoming a couch potato so you have the energy for a good work out.

Not eating back your exercise calories also means if you have to stop exercising your basic calorie allotment will have to drop so you continue to lose. Often this can leave you with an unsustainable calorie goal.

Use a digital food scale to weight all food, slices of bread, oils, fruit, veg, prepackaged food, everything. Use measuring cups and spoons for liquids only.

If you follow MFP the way it was designed, have any medical problems treated, you will lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you are within your calorie goal.

Cheers, h.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Please do not use your BMR as your base calories. This is your basic metabolic rate- the calories you would burn in a coma.

MFP uses a NEAT (None Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) calculation which includes tour BMR and your normal everyday activities. Not exercise.

Your weight loss calorie goal is in the basic calories MFP gives you and you are expected to eat all the calories plus eat back your exercise calories. (Start with 50-75% of your burn and adjust so you are losing at your weekly goal) You need the extra fuel to perform well when exercising, or to prevent you becoming a couch potato so you have the energy for a good work out.

Not eating back your exercise calories also means if you have to stop exercising your basic calorie allotment will have to drop so you continue to lose. Often this can leave you with an unsustainable calorie goal.

Use a digital food scale to weight all food, slices of bread, oils, fruit, veg, prepackaged food, everything. Use measuring cups and spoons for liquids only.

If you follow MFP the way it was designed, have any medical problems treated, you will lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you are within your calorie goal.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for that explanation. You've answered many of my questions that I never got around to asking anyone :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!