Appalled at the amt of sodium in these tortillas!

Options
So as my sweetie and I sat down to enjoy a healthy and quick dinner last night of grilled chicken, low-fat cheese, plain greek yogurt, black beans, corn and salsa on whole-wheat tortillas, I thought, wow, this is becoming one of our favorite "fast foods" at home when things just get too busy to cook a big meal. And pretty healthy too, carbs, protein, fiber, etc... UNTIL I logged the food into MFP... wow, 150 cals for the tortilla and... get this... 460 mgs of sodium - ARE YOU KIDDIN ME?! Holy cow... I was like, well, there goes my sodium intake for the night! We had just got back from camping over the weekend and had a bit of sodium overload there... I was trying to cut the sodium now that we were back... I'm still amazed. Oh and the tortillas were the Mission Mulit-Grain medium tortillas... whole grains and 5 grams of fiber... I must've been in a daze when I bought these!

So MFP friends, which tortillas do you recommend that are whole grain and/or whole wheat, full of fiber and DON'T taste like cardboard? I've had some and man, I'd rather eat cardboard, lol!!!

Replies

• mbennett51
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory Tortilla's are very good!!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Kellog Special K has some good chips - 230mg/serv http://www.specialk.com/cracker-chips/sour-cream-and-onion/

. Also "straws" from Sensible Portions - http://sensibleportions.elsstore.com/
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've actually stopped using tortillas all together because I had the same issue. One of my hubby's favorite meals is chicken tacos. We use the pre-mixed seasoning packets from McCormick's and those are loaded with sodium already. But I was appalled at the amount that was in the tortilla, too. So, I've started using lettuce as my taco shell. I'll get a head of green leaf or romaine lettuce and put the chicken and my toppings on there. Wrap it up and enjoy. I think it tastes pretty good like that and I'm happy to cut out ~500mg sodium.
  • LPC020409
    LPC020409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've actually stopped using tortillas all together because I had the same issue. One of my hubby's favorite meals is chicken tacos. We use the pre-mixed seasoning packets from McCormick's and those are loaded with sodium already. But I was appalled at the amount that was in the tortilla, too. So, I've started using lettuce as my taco shell. I'll get a head of green leaf or romaine lettuce and put the chicken and my toppings on there. Wrap it up and enjoy. I think it tastes pretty good like that and I'm happy to cut out ~500mg sodium.

This is a really good idea. I am making chicken tacos tonight. I think i'll use a lettuce wrap instead of a tortilla shell. We also use the pre-mixed packets but I've started using half of the packet instead.
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Oh that is a fab idea!! I love taco's but wasn't sure how to get around the sodium in the tortilla shell. I will have to try this next time since I always have green leaf in my house. Love the stuff and eat it as my salad at lunch time. Great Idea!!
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    great idea jen! i LOVE lettuce wraps! and to answer your question nicole...tortillas have sodium, there arent any that i have seen without a lot of sodium. if you dont want to cut them out (i cant bring myself to) then just try and pre-plan so you can fit them in without going over!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    All baked goods, including tortillas, are fairly high in sodium. I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas. Here's the nutrition breakdown:

Calories: 120
    Carbs: 18
    Fat: 4
    Protein: 5
    Fiber: 11
    Sodium: 330
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory Tortilla's are very good!!

I like there too!
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    What about corn tortillas? That's what I use. Lots of flavor.

I also like to do the lettuce wraps too.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe for low sodium Tortilla Shells - they are easy to make and don't take much time - about 30 min from start to finish. Give 'em a try!

Karen’s Homemade Low Sodium Tortilla Shells

3 cups Robin Hood unbleached flour
    2 tsp. Calmut Baking Powder

1/2 tsp. Morton Iodized Salt

4 Tbsp. Blue Bonnet Light Margarine

1+1/4 cups slightly warm tap water

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in low fat margarine with a fork or pastry cutter, like you would for pie crust. Next, add warm water a little at a time until dough is soft but not sticky. Knead the dough for a few minutes. Pull off pieces of dough to form 12 small dough balls. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes. The longer the rest time, the better they roll out. On a floured surface, roll out each dough ball with a floured rolling pin. Roll fairly thin. Over medium heat, in a large skillet or griddle pan - sprayed with cooking spray – fry the tortilla shell about 30 seconds per each side. Little brown speckles indicate when they are done.
    Yield - 12 shells

Nutritional Analysis per Tortilla. Calories 117, Fiber 1g, Carbs 22g, Sodium 206mg, Calcium 3%, Fat 2g, Cholesterol 0
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Salt is really not as bad as people would like you to believe. It's the first thing they plug into your vein when you visit the hospital emergency room or when you have surgery. Yes it's a SALINE freaking solution. Here is a study i read about recently that actually says to little salt can have negative health effects.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-wartman/change-in-season-why-salt_b_868808.html
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    All baked goods, including tortillas, are fairly high in sodium. I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas. Here's the nutrition breakdown:

Calories: 120
    Carbs: 18
    Fat: 4
    Protein: 5
    Fiber: 11
    Sodium: 330

yep, those. They taste fantastic, they are hardly noticeably different than normal flour tortillas.

Tortillas in general are just not healthy friendly, but these ones work if you (like me) just have to have them.
  • KatyRing
    KatyRing Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Mission carb balance fajtia size... yummy and i think 200ish sodium
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Unless you have high blood pressure, kidney problems or swelling issues, 500 mg for a meal is not bad at all. I love those Mission whole wheat tortillas. I'd rather make my own taco seasoning than skimp on the tortillas. I use a combination of spices, depending on my tastebuds for the day and how hot my companions lik their food, and what spices I have will determine what I use. The basic essentials are: chili powder, cumin, paprika (smokey pap adds a nice dimension, but plain works too). These alone are not quite complex enough, so I'll add a combination of any or all of: oregano, black pepper, white pepper, cardimon, tumeric, mace, cayenne pepper, salt, cajun seasoning (not if I add salt), and whatever other spices smell rigt for that dish at that moment. When I make my own refried beans, I don't add salt at all, but may add it later.
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    LA Tortilla Factory are brilliant and offer a wide range; low carb, low fat, low sodium, different sizes. In general their tortillas are half the sodium of other brands. I'm sad we don't get them here in the UK (I'm originally from LA so I know good tortillas) and the Mission ones have way to many questionable ingredients for my liking. I make my own now 100 cals each and made without adding salt. They taste amazing when they are so fresh.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    Unfortunatly the one's I have do taste like cardboard.. :ohwell:
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    LA Tortilla Factory are brilliant and offer a wide range; low carb, low fat, low sodium, different sizes. In general their tortillas are half the sodium of other brands. I'm sad we don't get them here in the UK (I'm originally from LA so I know good tortillas) and the Mission ones have way to many questionable ingredients for my liking. I make my own now 100 cals each and made without adding salt. They taste amazing when they are so fresh.

Would you mind sharing your recipe?