Fiber help

Options
I'm am cutting out most carbs and sugar from my daily food and am curious what are some good sources of fiber?

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    90% of fiber in my diet comes from vegetables I eat every day. Out of curiosity; why are you cutting out carbs and sugars?
  • chrisleyland314
    chrisleyland314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can get fibre from almonds and sweet potato if you really want to cut out carbs. For the amount of sweet potato you can eat it's a very good trade of for the amount of carbs. But I think you should keep carbs to a minimum of at least 150g a day (just my opinion) you will still lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit (eat less calories than needed). People who cut out carbs run the risk of not getting all the micronutrients (fibre etc). Hope this helps
  • manicmuse1
    manicmuse1 Posts: 17 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Flax seeds
    Chia seeds
    Spinach
    Zucchini
    Romaine lettuce
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Onions
    Cauliflower
    Brussels sprouts
    Cucumber
    Asparagus

I am doing keto paleo. I have to keep my carbs under 50 grams per day with a 35% calorie deficiency. Keep in mind that is pretty strict, I am doing this because I have healthy issues that play into how my body processes stuff. These are my top go to for fiber choices that are low in carbs. Also I would steer clear of sweet potato depending on how Low you need to go on sugars. Plus, one cup of sweet potato has 27 grams of carbs per cup. I have not found it works for me unless I do 2 ounces post work out.
  • JChadwick22
    JChadwick22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    90% of fiber in my diet comes from vegetables I eat every day. Out of curiosity; why are you cutting out carbs and sugars?

I guess I should say I'm watching my carb and sugar intake. Not cutting them out completely.

• JChadwick22
    Options
    You can get fibre from almonds and sweet potato if you really want to cut out carbs. For the amount of sweet potato you can eat it's a very good trade of for the amount of carbs. But I think you should keep carbs to a minimum of at least 150g a day (just my opinion) you will still lose weight if you are in a calorie deficit (eat less calories than needed). People who cut out carbs run the risk of not getting all the micronutrients (fibre etc). Hope this helps

Thank you Chrisley! I am going to incorporate sweet potatoes and almonds into my day. So far, I am staying under my calories every day.
  • JChadwick22
    Options
    manicmuse1 wrote: »
    Flax seeds
    Chia seeds
    Spinach
    Zucchini
    Romaine lettuce
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Onions
    Cauliflower
    Brussels sprouts
    Cucumber
    Asparagus

I am doing keto paleo. I have to keep my carbs under 50 grams per day with a 35% calorie deficiency. Keep in mind that is pretty strict, I am doing this because I have healthy issues that play into how my body processes stuff. These are my top go to for fiber choices that are low in carbs. Also I would steer clear of sweet potato depending on how Low you need to go on sugars. Plus, one cup of sweet potato has 27 grams of carbs per cup. I have not found it works for me unless I do 2 ounces post work out.

Im curious as to how many grams of carbs a day I am eating. Gonna have to check my diary. 27 g is high...thank you for your response and good luck with your health adventure!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I can only get enough fiber myself with a fiber suppliment, Rite aid store brand works for me. I also drink a protein shake for breakfast and lunch which is why my fiber is low, but even when I put veggies with my breakfast or lunch it was still too low (mine is set at 30g)
  • chrisleyland314
    chrisleyland314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @marm1962 I also have a protein shake breakfast (early morning starts and just easy) I supplement my breakfast shake with a greens powder helps me keep on top of fibre etc I will say though it does have a distinct taste and will alter the taste of your shake. Adding a scoop of PB helps for me.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Also be aware that many people that count carbs focus on net carbs (carbs minus fiber). So of example, the Flat Out wrap I eat has 16 carbs, but 9 grams of fiber so the net carbs are only 7.

I also get a lot of fiber from vegetables and berries.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Fruits and veg, for sure. Butternut squash is lower in cals than sweet taters. I made that switch a year ago. Fiber one Cereal is a great snack and Tumaros wraps are high in fiber and lower in cals. You can peek at my diary if you like: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/CoachJen71
  • JChadwick22
    Options
    I bought some instant oatmeal that is high fiber. It's not too terrible and it gets me a good start in the morning for fiber. We shall see how that works! Thank you guys! So awesome to have help!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I get almost half of my daily fiber goal from breakfast:

b3e6dd9e78cce3c5a2a98bdb9de17586.png