White vs. Wheat

Options
Is wheat bread really better for you than white? If so, how & why? I always get my bread at the Kwik Trip & I just did a comparison of the classic white & the multi grain wheat & they are almost identical. I was just always told that the wheat bread was so much better for you & offered so much more but I guess I don't see it.

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Whole grain is what matters...I think. I'm wheat free so I don't really remember so hot anymore but whole grain is what makes the difference.
  • robb7
    robb7 Posts: 22
    Options
    Look at 'whole grain' bread instead. All the nutrition is stripped out of typical white bread and sometimes the 'wheat' bread is simply white bread with brown color.
  • jml107
    jml107 Posts: 27
    Options
    White means bleached which means they stripped a lot of the nutrients you should be getting from the bread simply to make it white in color. Whole grain is the way to go although it is usually higher in calories because it has more of the things you need in it.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Look at 'whole grain' bread instead. All the nutrition is stripped out of typical white bread and sometimes the 'wheat' bread is simply white bread with brown color.

I agree, whole grain. It has more fiber and helps you feel full longer too.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The whole grain contains the hull, which is insoluble fiber. While the carb count may be the same, the insoluble fiber does not get absorbed or broken down into a sugar. The net carb count, then, is lower than in white bread. The hull also contains the bulk of the vitamins and minerals in the wheat grain. White bread, in contrast, causes your blood sugar to spike quickly. Additionally, the white flour is "enriched", which means that all the nutrients that were in the hull are stripped away, and then added back artificially. This puts white bread in the family of "processed" foods.

As my husband says, "Look for the shortest distance from field to table." Meaning, the fewer machines and hands your food touches before it gets to your plate, the better.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Also the white carbs are easy for your body to digest and tend to be the ones that become belly fat in women, whole grains are harder for it to digest because of the nutrients thus better for you and give you a slimmer waist :)
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The whole grain contains the hull, which is insoluble fiber.

Yep, the fiber stays in your body longer and basically makes more calories pass through without being absorbed
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Should say whole grain or whole wheat......not enriched, bleached flour. The bleaching is a process that is supposed to be unhealthy and the whole grain has more fiber benefits. That's all the knowledge I have but googling is always an option. :flowerforyou:
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The whole grain contains the hull, which is insoluble fiber. While the carb count may be the same, the insoluble fiber does not get absorbed or broken down into a sugar. The net carb count, then, is lower than in white bread. The hull also contains the bulk of the vitamins and minerals in the wheat grain. White bread, in contrast, causes your blood sugar to spike quickly. Additionally, the white flour is "enriched", which means that all the nutrients that were in the hull are stripped away, and then added back artificially. This puts white bread in the family of "processed" foods.

As my husband says, "Look for the shortest distance from field to table." Meaning, the fewer machines and hands your food touches before it gets to your plate, the better.

lol I literally had almost the exact same thing posted and I scrolled down before I posted my reply :)
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    But for it tohave no white flour in it is has to say 100% whole wheat/whole grain, and yes, it absolutely is much better for you. There is no nutritional value whatsoever in white flour. It's basically like eating empty calories, less filling, no fiber, has been completely stripped of everything good.
  • stressd1mom
    stressd1mom Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone WHOLE wheat it is!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at the cheap wheat "sandwich" bread, there probably isn't much difference. You want bread that uses whole wheat flour, or whole grain, not just something that's unbleached. I have compared the (store bought) unbleached white flour to home-ground wheat flour, and there is a world of difference! Real whole wheat flour has a lot more fiber and more natural nutrients. (Another reason you may see less of a difference is that store-made breads have a lot of added vitamins, etc. Not bad for you, but not as good as the naturally occurring stuff.) The texture of the bread will be different, because of the fiber (from the outside of the wheat kernel), not quite as soft or light.