To run or not to run!!

Options
2»

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'd say do it.. train as much as you can, and when race day comes, listen to you're body. If its telling you run then run, if it says walk then walk.

For me personally, you would never ever get me to run a 5K because I don't run unless I absolutely need too.. and by absolutely need to I mean, serial killer or rabid dog chasing me.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    As long as you are OK with walking some of it if you have to (and it's a distinct possibility) I'd say "Go for it."

Just don't push too hard during training. You don't have much time, but don't try to cram 5 or 6 weeks of training into the next 2-and-a-half weeks. Try walking 5K first - building up to it over the course of a few days if you need to.

Remember rest days are important and, if you really want to RUN it - make sure you have good running shoes.

Good luck! :smile:
  • silvafan
    silvafan Posts: 147
    Options
    Its a great experience, I did my first 5K on Saturday and I preped for 3 months for it. You don't have to run the entire thing, especially since this is your first time and you haven't preped for it. I say go for it just don't put a lot of pressure on yourself. It's 3.1 miles just start out with a nice slow pace, run for as long as possible, when you need to stop then walk after you catch your breath start running again.

If you do this 5K you will see how awesome it is then you can prepare for a future 5K and maybe start the C25K program then you can work towards running the whole thing next time and having a great time. It is addicting, I say just go for it :-)
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    Go for it! Earlier this year my Trainer challenged me to complete a Trianthalon which consisted of a 5K. The one thing I did not like to do was run. After accepting the challenge and training for about 4 weeks, not only was I able to run the entire 5K , I completed it in 33 mins.; now I practically run everyday. This was about the last thing I thought I'd find myself doing at the age of "55"' GO FOR IT!
  • apoyser
    apoyser Posts: 35
    Options
    Yes do it!!!! Walk, run do your best and you will feel great about it! I recently did my first 5k and I'm in love with running now if you are not a runner try a 5k training C25k is a great program to prevent injury my wife is doing it and getting amazing results. You can do anything we are strong people!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    YES! You can totally walk as much of it as you want or need to..and it will be fun and maybe give you a bug for running..OR let you know that you hate it lol. Just have fun :)
  • MamaMayo
    MamaMayo Posts: 30
    Options
    I have to say, I agree w/ 24man's reply. I started running about 3.5 yrs. ago, hated it w/ a passion even when I played sports in school. I avoided it at all costs!!! Now, I have learnt how good it feels, how it has helped me become who I am. I now believe that all things are possible. The first 5k I ran in 2009, I was terrified but when you cross that finsh line and everyone is cheering you on that's what it's all about. It's not about how fast you can do it, you may have to walk some that's okay. I recommend pacing yourself, starting out w/ a slow jog wait till the end and bust out that last 10th of a mile. It is only 3.1 miles, average time 30 - 40 mins., best feeling of accomplishment ever! I now have participate in a half marathon in Oct. 2010, doing it again this year. I have learnt to be fearless, take my time, and enjoy the scenery. Besides, you meet a lot of nice people, great supportors. Best of luck to you! I say "YES!"
  • MamaMayo
    MamaMayo Posts: 30
    Options
    I have to say, I agree w/ 24man's reply. I started running about 3.5 yrs. ago, hated it w/ a passion even when I played sports in school. I avoided it at all costs!!! Now, I have learnt how good it feels, how it has helped me become who I am. I now believe that all things are possible. The first 5k I ran in 2009, I was terrified but when you cross that finsh line and everyone is cheering you on that's what it's all about. It's not about how fast you can do it, you may have to walk some that's okay. I recommend pacing yourself, starting out w/ a slow jog wait till the end and bust out that last 10th of a mile. It is only 3.1 miles, average time 30 - 40 mins., best feeling of accomplishment ever! I now have participate in a half marathon in Oct. 2010, doing it again this year. I have learnt to be fearless, take my time, and enjoy the scenery. Besides, you meet a lot of nice people, great supportors. Best of luck to you! I say "YES!"
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That is how I started running, a friend invited me to run a 5K. Now 10 years later I am still running and have even completed the NYC Marathon.

Now I invite friends to run 5K!!! I even invited a co-worker run her first 5K with me and now we are training for a 1/2 marathon together. And it doens't hurt that she has lost 40 pounds since that 5K.

It can really be a changing experience.

GOOD LUCK!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot! You can always walk/run...there's no rule that says you can't!
  • punk_mama
    punk_mama Posts: 93
    Options
    Do it! Do it!!! :happy: :happy: :happy:
    Its okay to walk if you need to I always have to walk in the middle of my runs it just apart of it.
    Every run I have done, everyone there is so supportive it is such a good feeling when you finish. My first 8k event, shamrock shuffle in Chicago, I cried at the end I was so proud of myself for finishing it. Thousands of people cheering for the runners it was a wonderful feeling. :heart: :heart:
  • LisaStanley500
    LisaStanley500 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do it, and don't be ashamed of walking! If the others in the group are more accomplished runners they can go on ahead of you & you can catch up to them as you can.
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses folks.. I think I will do it... I've been doing my Cardio workouts 6 days a week mostly.. and using my sister's treadmill sometimes (I usually start walking 3.5 - I'm short, and do spurts of running in between that).. I think I can do this!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Want a running (walking) partner?)
  • jenleabee
    jenleabee Posts: 1
    Options
    Running may change your life. Even if it doesn't it's a great change and is often enough to give their metabolism a kick in the butt. I am currently in a 1/2 marathon clinic, and haven't looked back!