Any ideas for low calorie meals that involve pitta bread?

Options
Hello I am new to MyFitnessPal and I am looking for low calorie meal ideas that involve pitta breads. The quicker they are to make the better. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks, Linda :smile:

Replies

• KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Spread a few tablespoons of pizza sauce, some low sodium mozzarella and your favorite veggies on top on the pita. Put it in the toaster oven or regular oven for long enough for the cheese to melt and you've got a healthier mini pizza.
  • alexia_faith
    alexia_faith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love cous cous in pitta

Of salad and a spread (marmites my guilty pleasure)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My favourite meal with pita is falafel, mmmm
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    I second the pizza idea. Also, I like to put inside pita a combination of alfredo sauce, broccoli, and diced chicken breast. Gets me over that alfredo pasta craving and is delicious at the same time!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Quick response. Haven't checked the calories in this, but I love these.

Pita bread
    spread with pesto
    Slices of fresh pears
    Pistachio nuts, slightly crumbled
    gorganzola cheese sprinkled on top
    Bake at 350 for 10 - 15 min or until cheese and pita start to turn golden brown.

REALLY YUMMY!!!

Haven't tried this one yet, but sounds good.

Greek nachos

Toast pita and cut into triangles.
    brown ground lamb and garlic, sprinkle on top
    add feta cheese and a little mint.
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    Diced chicken breast in marinade of your choice, and a salad. And you have yourself a Shish Kebab.
  • LindaKnott
    Options
    Thank you very much, I will give that a try :smile:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I second the marinated chicken- I use piri piri marinade,jerk seasoning or tikka paste and serve it with grilled/roasted onion wedges, bell peppers and salad. Then top with tzatziki or minted yoghurt in the pitta.

or morrocan style meatballs made with lean minced (ground) turkey of extra lean beef- mixed with a pinch of cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg & mint (Use the middle eastern seasoning ras al hanout if available in your store). Then oven baked and served with salad and yoghurt.

Grilled halloumi cheese withlettuce, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion & chilli/yoghurt sauce.

pitta strips with tzatziki/salsa/hummus/guacamole

Roasted veggies & pesto
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    These are not super low in cal but over all a really great filling/tasting meal.

I cut the cheese in half and do not use any sour cream.

Biggest Loser Chicken Pileup

Nutrition Info
    Calories: 497.6
    Fat: 9.8g
    Carbohydrates: 58.2g
    Protein: 45.0g

Ingredients1 four-oz boneless skinless chicken breast
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp garlic powder

1 six-inch whole wheat pita
    2 TBSP prepared hummus
    3-4 strips of red pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    2 slices red onion, cut into 2 inch pieces
    2 TBPS black beans (rinsed, if using canned)
    2 TBSP prepared salsa
    2 TBSP reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
    2 TBSP fat-free sour cream
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees and preheat indoor grill (or BBQ).

Mix paprika, chili powder, garlic powder and cumin on a small plate. Roll chicken breast in spice mixture and set aside while grill gets hot.

Grill pita bread on grill for one minute per side until lightly toasted. Put chicken on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Remove from grill and slice into bite sized pieces.

Meanwhile, spread hummus on grilled pita and top with the red pepper, red onion, black beans, reserved grilled chicken, salsa and cheese.

Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Cut into four wedges, top with sour cream and serve immediately.

Makes one serving

Number of Servings: 1
  • LindaKnott
    Options
    Thank you, sounds nice, I'l definetly make that :smile:
  • justavoice1989
    justavoice1989 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i have very bland taste buds lol. i dont like alot of different foods but i did find that i LOVE tuna in pitta bread<3 all the options mentioned above sound amazing too!!! especially the pizza. make it a calzone!!:wink:
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    BBQ Chicken & Bacon Pizza

1 Weightwatchers 100% whole wheat pita (cut edges of pocket to make 2 "crusts") 100 calories

2 tbls barbecue sauce ~30 calories

2oz chicken breast 60 calories

1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella 80 calories

1 tbls real Bacon bits (i use aldi tuscan garden) 30 calories

Preheat oven to 400. Bake plain pita halves 5 minutes until slightly toasted, but not crisp. Cut chicken into small pieces, mix with bbq sauce. Top each pita crust with half of bbq sauce/chicken mixture, followed by mozz cheese then bacon bits on top. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese starts to brown. Best part? Only 300 calories for BOTH pita halves and truly doesn't taste like diet food :)
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is one of my FAVORITES!

You'll need:

Pita bread
    1 can of tuna (4 oz or bigger)
    2 Tbsp of 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese...My faves are Garden Veggie and Chive and Onion

What you do:

Open the tuna...plop in the cream cheese...then mix...put the stuff in the pita with a little lettuce and ENJOY!

I used the Pittetes (mini pitas) and they are 150 calories for 2 mini pittetes...so the whole thing was about 400 calories and I was FULL!!!