HRM Suggestions?

Options
I am looking at purchasing a heart rate monitor. Any suggestions on ones that are reasonably priced and accurate?

Thanks!

Replies

• briank83
    briank83 Posts: 2
    Options
    you definitely want one with a chest strap so it's always monitoring unlike others where you have to touch your fingers to the watch to read your heart rate. i have a polar ft7 and love it. paid about $80 for it from amazon.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    For optimum calorie burn accuracy, get one with a chest strap. Also, a good one is not exactly what you can call cheap, but they are WELL worth it. My Polar FT4 hasn't let me down yet. Got her for 73.99 on heartratemonitorsusa.com.
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    I have a Polar RS300X. I love it. Cannot imagine working out without it.
  • chelledenae
    Options
    Yes - one with a chest strap is easiest & is accurate. Sporting goods stores has some for $80. I bought my HRM watch w/ chest strap at Target for $60 (it's geared for females). Hope this helps. I LOVE mine!
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Purchased the FT4 last week on Amazon for $64, happy with it so far.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar FT4. chest strap, but that is ok, and about $80.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Read this link on HRM's:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I have the Polar FT7 and absolutely love it. Really comfortable and easy to use/set up. I got mine off of drugstore.com for 79.99 but I know that amazon has been having some good deals on Polars lately.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    when I was looking for a HRM, this was some info I found (someone else put it together).

I chose HRM #1 below and have been quite happy with it thus far. I did read while researching each model that #1 below is intended for a man, as there is no way one can change the sex within that device unlike some of the others.

Heart-Rate Monitors top 5 models according to consumer reports Feb-2011. All are chest-strap models.
    1. Timex Personal Trainer T5G971 - $50, score: 93%
    2. Timex Zone Trainer T5J031 - $75, score: 92%
    3. New Balance N5 - $72, score: 90%
    4. Sportline Duo 1010 - $60, score: 88%
    5. Omron HR-100C - $40, score: 88%
    6. Acumen Ergo Plus - $70, score: 87%
    7. Ekho E-15 - $72, score: 87%
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Polar FT7 for my birthday, and it's great. Does everything I want it to. Definitely seems to be a good entry-level choice. If I have one criticism, it's that the 'beep' isn't very loud but it's not really a problem, since I can turn my playlist down if need be!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i am based in the UK and got the lloyds pharmacy HRM with watch and chest strap for £20.00 + P&P

its accurate enough for me - i have a total of over 100lbs to lose, so if the HRM is 50kcals out, its no real biggy for me coz i dont eat my exercise kcals back, just make sure i'm over 1200 NET

maybe when i have less than 30lbs to lose ill get a more expensive one, but this one is working well for me, and im still losing weight so its doing it's job - i also make sure i set up the gym machines fully before using them and its very close to what they tell me so it cant be too far out - if i didnt have a HRM i'd use the gym machine figures anyway
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Heart-Rate Monitors top 5 models according to consumer reports Feb-2011. All are chest-strap models.
    1. Timex Personal Trainer T5G971 - $50, score: 93%
    2. Timex Zone Trainer T5J031 - $75, score: 92%
    3. New Balance N5 - $72, score: 90%
    4. Sportline Duo 1010 - $60, score: 88%
    5. Omron HR-100C - $40, score: 88%
    6. Acumen Ergo Plus - $70, score: 87%
    7. Ekho E-15 - $72, score: 87%

I think Consumer reports was crazy when they put this list together. I've learned a lot about HRM's from this site(see the link I posted earlier) and none of these HRM's have all the features needed for accurate calorie burn.

You're also right about the first HRM being for a male. I had that HRM at one time and wound up returning it because of that feature... it made my calorie burn go through the roof!
  • Pirate1974
    Pirate1974 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you all for the information. I will read through and look at the information and purchase one soon!