Need some core workout ideas (body weight and weight lifting ideas)

Options
Hello! I have a good leg day/arm day/back and shoulder day routines..but looking to add more core burning exercises to another day. Anyone find some exercises and weight lifting routines great for the core? Would love some ideas.

Replies

• gr8t2sk8
    gr8t2sk8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend Tone It Up. They have videos on YouTube. You'll have to do them multiple times but you will def feel the burn
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I hate--really hate ab work. So I look for exercises that give me the biggest bang for the buck.

Front squat
    TRX pike
    Cable pull lying leg raises
    Oblique weighted side bends on hyper-extension platform
    Pallof Press on cable (you can do it with resistance bands, but I like the cable
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Planks! So many variations. I dread these but force myself. Doesn't take long to get results and then You can add extra moves to make it harder and more interesting.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The core is often worked hard in compound movements. These are often performed to target other areas - for example the military press is seen as a shoulder exercise but works the core also.

The daddies of compound exercises - squat and deadlift - are great for the core.

Without seeing your leg, arm, back and shoulder routines it's difficult to tell if you are already doing core work but I would recommend that you investigate some established strength routines rather than trying to generate your own. This thread contains masses of information on the subject:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

• CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    check out fitnessblender on youtube, they've got a ton of different workouts including a lot of core ones. these guys are my go-to for workout videos
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the few around here who suggests targeted core work. Can be done just a few minutes before your regular workout. Depending on your current level, you may need to adjust any of the following. Hollow body, superman, Lsit, hanging leg raises, ring support hold.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Some great core stabilization exercises include the front plank, side plank, floor bridges, floor cobras, quadrupeds

Ramping it up a bit you could consider floor or stability ball crunches (and crunches with rotations) lift & chops with a med ball or bands.

If you have space and have a med ball you could try woodchop throws or med ball scoop tosses.

If you have a partner you could hold a med ball or stability ball while they tap on the top and bottom (or on the sides) of the ball while you try to maintain the isometric hold
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve or improve?
  • frankerzzzfit
    frankerzzzfit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of these ideas!! I will be investigating and adding in these ideas
  • frankerzzzfit
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve or improve?

Gaining muscle and strengthening the core. Eventually to lose inches and gain definition.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bear crawls. Forwards, backwards, sideways, in circles. Love them.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've learnt to love my core work, and it's paying off in terms of easier activation of my core during squats and deads. Staples of mine are Turkish get ups, windmills, barbell rollouts, land mines, Pallof press, dead bug, weighted hyperextensions, planks, oblique crunches, and a few holds. Spread throughout the week it's only a couple extra minutes a day.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yep, crawls are great. Something similar is the get back up shown in this Dan John video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Starting at nearly 200lbs, exercise had become difficult for me. So I focused on food first and am now slowly adding in some exercise since I've lost a little weight. I belong to a healthy lifestyle facebook group started by my sister and we started doing month long challenge workouts. We are currently almost done with a 28 day plank challenge. Started at 20 seconds, we are now up to 250 seconds with the end goal being at 4 minutes. I am proud to say I can do a full, non-modified plank for nearly 2 minutes. Then I have to modify to my elbows for the last 30-40 seconds but I tell you what....I am so much stronger. And my middle is getting smaller. They're working! And really take no time at all. 4 minutes doesn't seem like much....but it really is. Having a strong core will prepare you to take on more difficult/intense work outs and decrease your chance of injury. Planks.
  • frankerzzzfit
    Options
    Starting at nearly 200lbs, exercise had become difficult for me. So I focused on food first and am now slowly adding in some exercise since I've lost a little weight. I belong to a healthy lifestyle facebook group started by my sister and we started doing month long challenge workouts. We are currently almost done with a 28 day plank challenge. Started at 20 seconds, we are now up to 250 seconds with the end goal being at 4 minutes. I am proud to say I can do a full, non-modified plank for nearly 2 minutes. Then I have to modify to my elbows for the last 30-40 seconds but I tell you what....I am so much stronger. And my middle is getting smaller. They're working! And really take no time at all. 4 minutes doesn't seem like much....but it really is. Having a strong core will prepare you to take on more difficult/intense work outs and decrease your chance of injury. Planks.

Thank you for the insight! Maybe i should take up more of these month challenges to keep things fresh =)
  • frankerzzzfit
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yep, crawls are great. Something similar is the get back up shown in this Dan John video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E

Wow Ive never seen this before! Will definitely try it out