Sodium!

Options
Holy smokes!! So last night I made a turkey sausage and cabbage dinner and tonight I made turkey meatballs with jarred pasta sauce...quick and still within my calories is what I was thinking but the sodium was outrageous!! I feel like all my hard work is down the drain because tonight and last nights sodium was -297,000!!! What can I do other than drink water? And is it really going to kill my hard work today?

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, you will feel sluggish today and likely be up in weight. I can be as much as 5 or 6 pounds.

Drink water. Revise your sauce for next time. I drink lots of tea the next day as a diuretic to get rid of the excess water in my system.

It takes me three or four days to lose the water weight.....
  • JChadwick22
    JChadwick22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • JChadwick22
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    If you're like me, you will feel sluggish today and likely be up in weight. I can be as much as 5 or 6 pounds.

Drink water. Revise your sauce for next time. I drink lots of tea the next day as a diuretic to get rid of the excess water in my system.

It takes me three or four days to lose the water weight.....

Bummer
  • JChadwick22
    Options
    What kind of tea? Green tea?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    All sodium does is cause shifts in water weight, which goes up and down every day depending on several factors. It doesn't affect your fat loss, which at least for me is the real goal! It will even out.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't kill hard work

It merely temporarily masks it with water weight

Just give it a few days and stay hydrated ...any liquid ...nothing magic out there ...water would do
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    What they all said.
    Keep sodium low for a couple days and stick to water.
    Too much sodium over time can keep your water weight on and make your heart work harder.
    keep in mind how you feel when you have high or low sodium days :) you'll figure out what's best for you
  • JChadwick22
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel better knowing my hard work is still going to pay off. Gonna chug water for the next couple days. Weigh in is on Monday.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I eat triple my sodium every day, no joke, been doing it for months. But I drink a ton of water. I hit the 100lbs lost mark last week.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Check the salt entry you used against the USDA value. People sometimes put things in and if you differ from the units they use it gives you completely insane values.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    And I thought my sodium control was bad.

The worst that can happen is water retention, maybe a few days of high blood pressure, but the body will eventually get rid of all of the excess sodium. It's also likely that your body couldn't absorb all of that sodium, so some of it may have passed through with the rest of the waste.