Starting Over w/ Better Soda Pop Strategy

Options
Yackma
Yackma Posts: 21 Member
Hello! I'm back after a few year hiatus.

I'm excited, too, because I think I've found a much easier way of not drinking pop than before. It's something I can do long-term and will help avoid sugar/caffeine withdrawal.

I swapped pop out for Koolaid Singles. They're sweetened so you don't add extra sugar, but they're still only 30 calories per serving. If I drink the same amount, I'll wind up saving over 8k calories a week! :o

To control caffeine withdrawal, I'm taking caffeine tabs. I'm down to half of one a day - around 100 mg. So far, no debilitating migraines or commitment-level mood swings. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping for big changes by my 40th birthday, Sept. 2018.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity why not just drink diet soda? Not that your plan isn't a good one, it just seems like you are going to great lengths to avoid the easier solution.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I drink fresh brewed coffee with water. No sugar, no cream.
    If I get tired of it, I use skim milk to prepare a capuccino.
    In the summer, I drink infused water ( filtered water with a split lemon, slice cucumber)
    In winter, I drink green tea
    If you really like your soda, make room in your daily calorie budget. I stopped drinking soda. I prefer to munch my calories.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity why not just drink diet soda? Not that your plan isn't a good one, it just seems like you are going to great lengths to avoid the easier solution.

This is what struck me, too. What's the difference between the Koolaid singles and a diet soda besides the sugar and calories in the Koolaid? If you were literally drinking 8000 calories per week in soda that's around 37 17-ounce servings. Multiply that by 30 calories and you could save approximately another 1100 calories per week by cutting out the calories in the Koolaid entirely.
  • sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Diet soda isn't good for you. If you're going to question the OPs solution why not suggest not drinking soda or flavored drinks at all? That's the simplest solution.

@Yackma if this works for you it sounds like a step in the right direction. For me, soda really increased my cravings and food impulses and had effects far beyond its caloric content. Finally I reached the point where I understood that soda was an addiction for me and that I had to stop completely. I haven't had a soda in 3 years, and I mostly avoid all other sugary drinks too (except fresh fruit/veggie juice), but I occasionally have something flavored and it doesn't affect me in the same way.

Good luck to you with your new plan, I hope it helps! Once you have made the switch and are solid on no soda, you may find that cutting down on the coolaid is possible too.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Wow - saving 8000 calories a week!? That is a ton of pop. I would go with diet also. Probably not 37 cans a week though. Maybe 7-14 cans? Would save a lot of money also.
  • Yackma
    Yackma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I should have said "Even if I drank the same amount..." because I'm not planning on it. Two sugary drinks a day (versus 4 or 5) and the rest is water.

Why no diet pop? I don't like the taste, but also, it's a really bad habit for me. If I drink some, I drink way too much and wind up never eating and just drink pop if I'm hungry. That doesn't happen with other beverages, for whatever reason. (Or, it hasn't yet.)

Thanks for the well wishes and the advice. It's always nice to have other people's opinions. :smile:
  • stacylyle13
    stacylyle13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've found it was easier in the long run to just stop soda altogether. I was drinking 4-5 20 oz sodas a day. The first 3-4 days was tough. After that the craving was gone. I drink over a gallon of water everyday and occasionally if I want some flavor a little unsweet tea. Artificial sweeteners don't do us any favors. Natural is better in the long run.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    "Why no diet pop? I don't like the taste"

Fair enough.
  • EternalSnow627
    EternalSnow627 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I still drink soda and its regular but doesn't have all the calories and sugar in it that u would find in a store. I drink sodas from SodaStream u basically make ur own soda with it from the mixes. So much better :)
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There are some diet sodas out there that actually taste decent. It's the ones made by the store's company that's generally bad in taste [like the Great Value and Big K sodas].
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like diet sodas. Even the store brand kind. The regular stuff makes my mouth and throat feel... sticky, I guess? I dunno. I'm one of the people that will order a Diet Coke with a Big Mac and large fries.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP, have you tried products that you add to water? There are tons of flavors and brands out there and even less calories than your Kool Aid. My favorite is raspberry lemonade.
    battyfitch wrote: »
    I like diet sodas. I'm one of the people that will order a Diet Coke with a Big Mac and large fries.

^^me too. I know people do not get that, but I have always thought that drinking diet pop saves some calories at least, even if you are consuming what others may perceive as very high calorie food.
  • earthakin66
    earthakin66 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I drink seltzer water or club soda. I like the fizz of the soda but it has no calories.