Is this normal?

Options
Hi Guys

So I have been dieting for a few months now (1200-1300 cals per day) and hitting the gym 6 times a week ( a mixture of cardio and strength training for at least an hour a day), I also have a PT session once a week.

I am weighing myself once a week and don't really seem to be losing lbs, its the loss of the odd 1lb/2lb every week or every other week. I have lost 4 inches on my waist, but just no lbs really. shouldn't I be losing more weight?? Is this normal when I am creating a calorie deficit and exercising so much? Just gets disheartening when i don't see the scales going down as much.

I know it's good to lose inches but I guess in my head I like to see the number on the scales too. is this normal to stay around the same weight??

its driving me crackers and just need reassurance its all good to stay same weight and lose only the inches. <3

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Losing 1-2lbs a week means you are losing weight, so when you say you're not losing, what you actually mean is you're not losing as quick or as much as you want.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing 1-2lb a week is a good, normal rate if loss.
  • mizzmarble
    mizzmarble Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    its not a regular loss though, its like one week I lose, next back up, then down then same, its not consistently 1/2lb a week. i am constantly around the same weight.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If by 'a few months' I assume you mean 3, and if I take the average of losing a pound per week from what you've said, that means you've lost 12lbs. That's nearly the weight of a bowling ball.

How many pounds were you expecting to lose in this time? I think a lot of people have pretty unrealistic expectations about how fast they can safely, healthily and happily lose weight. I'm guessing you probably didn't gain the weight you now want to lose at the pace of 3lbs+ per week, so it's not going to come off that way either.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you are losing 1-2lbs every few weeks you are doing just fine - keep on doing what you're doing and have patience :smile:
  • pdgoffin
    pdgoffin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your picture and id suggests you're female.

Well, amongst the differences between men and women is that women have vastly different levels of all sorts of hormones at different times of the month.

And those hormones muck about with all sorts of things including water retention.

Women, more than men, need to take a longer term view of weight control because of this.

So yes, having a couple of weeks where you lose a bit and others where you stay the same despite exercising & controlling your diet is completely normal for healthy women.

(Just a check though.. If you're keeping a food diary, are you eating differently in the weeks where you don't lose? It's possible there are just one or two meals or particular foods where you're either underestimating your intake or maybe the calories shown in the diary are off for that special lunch you have at work every other week??)
  • lc63
    lc63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So since you started dieting and working out afew months ago what is the overall difference in your weight? Also, without being too intrusive how much do you have to lose? The less you have to lose the harder it is to shift.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    From the way you've explained your problem, it's not totally clear whether you have lost any weight or not at all. To help, would you say how much weight in total you have lost since starting? Are you saying you have lost nothing at all and are losing and regaining the same pounds - but have lost inches instead?
  • mizzmarble
    Options
    So I have lost in total 5 lb over 4 months, which is not great! this is just approximately 1 pound per month!
    I want to lose stone in total loss) I started this about 4 months ago. Could it be possible that i am losing fat whilst building muscle hence the loss of inches and not loss on the scales? just wonder with the strength training. I don't know what to believe to be honest. :( its just disheartening when I work my butt off 6 times a week, eat so good and deprive myself from treats for, well to me no results really. well small results.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks for updating, so 1lb a month means you are eating at only a slight deficit, around 125 calories a day so you just have to think what you can cut out to make that become say a 250 cal deficit a day - that would be the deficit to lose 1/2lb per week e.g.

Are you using a food scale to weigh your foods? and are you being careful with what entries you pick in the database for food logging? thats where you need to start, tighten the logging and you'll see success.

Working out is good and all but weight loss really is about how much we eat. If we eat more than we burn we simply wont lose.

Also its good to note that exercise calorie burns are inclined to be over estimated.

Have you had any inch loss or are your clothes any looser?
  • mizzmarble
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    From the way you've explained your problem, it's not totally clear whether you have lost any weight or not at all. To help, would you say how much weight in total you have lost since starting? Are you saying you have lost nothing at all and are losing and regaining the same pounds - but have lost inches instead?

have lost in total 5 lb over 4 months,
    I want to lose stone in total loss, I started this about 4 months ago. Could it be possible that i am losing fat whilst building muscle hence the loss of inches( i have lost 4 inches off my waist), i don't know, it's hard to keep up the motivation when I am working hard already for little results. Especially when I pretty much live at the gym, then people can go to the gym once a week and lose 4 lbs in a week! frustrating thats all. I don't know what i can do to boost it.
  • Annageorge25
    Annageorge25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are doing just fine.
  • mizzmarble
    Options
    Thanks for updating, so 1lb a month means you are eating at only a slight deficit, around 125 calories a day so you just have to think what you can cut out to make that become say a 250 cal deficit a day - that would be the deficit to lose 1/2lb per week e.g.

Are you using a food scale to weigh your foods? and are you being careful with what entries you pick in the database for food logging? thats where you need to start, tighten the logging and you'll see success.

Working out is good and all but weight loss really is about how much we eat. If we eat more than we burn we simply wont lose.

Also its good to note that exercise calorie burns are inclined to be over estimated.

Have you had any inch loss or are your clothes any looser?

So apparently based on my BMR I should be eating 1900 cals a day approx, I have dropped this to 1200/1300 max. I then exercise for an hour a day 30mins cardio and 45 mins strength 6 times a week. so surely thats a big deficit? i also wear a fitbit and make sure I at least hit the 10000 steps a day reccomended, before i even go to the gym.
    I weigh all of my food and log it all in my diary, inputting all of the calorie information from the packaging of the foods i eat as I don't trust the ones entered on myfitnesspal to be 100 % correct.
    I have lost 4 inches off my waist. I just cant understand why the scales are not budging much.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    With inch loss means that you have lost fat.

When you haven't that much to lose weight loss is inclined to be slow and its best to take the weight loss slow.

When I was losing I lost at 1/2lb a week, some weeks I wouldn't appear to lose but I still actually averaged 1/2lb per week eating 1600-1800 calories gross. I'm also active and workout 6 days a week and even have an active rest day where I still walk at least 5 miles.

People who lose a lot each week usually have a lot more to lose.

The fact is that we can workout all the hours we want but if we are eating too much we will gain.
  • mizzmarble
    Options
    I guess I will just have to stick at it and hope for the best. lol :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you aren't losing, you aren't tracking your calories accurately which means you are eating more than you realise... I know its hard to hear the truth, we all have been here at one point and I wont be the only person telling you this.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    mizzmarble wrote: »
    I guess I will just have to stick at it and hope for the best. lol :)

exactly, you will find that sometimes weight loss can be slow - I was a slow loser but it stayed off and I've been at maintenance for 3+ yrs. Just stick with it and wishing you all the best :smile: Just think if you keep up the good work in 6 months even you could been at goal weight :smile:

Ruth
  • mizzmarble
    Options
    Thanks ruth! :)
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but it sounds like you are making progress but its with regards to your body shape/tone rather than the scale weight. I get that this is hard, given that you feel you are depriving yourself and the scales aren't moving much - but to lose 4 inches off the waist is fantastic!

I've come across posts in the success forum where people have lost no weight (or have actually gained some weight!) but they look really toned and fit compared to how they used to be. Have a think about why the scale weight is so important to you, perhaps? In the end it is just a number and if your body is improving by the tape measure instead, then isn't that something to celebrate? ^^
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 Weight loss is not linear and is not logical.
    Rule#2 Your scale will screw you whenever it can.
    Rule #3 Listen to your body. It will tell you when it is happy with what you are doing.