Under active thyroid and success rates?

Options
Hi everyone. So I put on 11lbs in 2 weeks.. but I think this problem has been going on way before that. Had blood test and shown under active thyroid and now on levotyhrine. Has anyone had success at beginning to lose weight again once medication kicks in? I'm so worried that I'll just have this struggle all my life

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Once your meds are balanced properly, you should be fine - I have been on meds for 27 years now, and since October 2015, I've lost 98lbs, so it hasnt had an impact on my weight loss.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This is a great thing to read. Thank you as I'm really worried about it x
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at the end of last June. It took about six weeks for the medication to kick in so that I was able to start losing weight. I lost 25 pounds relatively easily and have been maintaining for several months now. Good luck!
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Awww brill. This is great news.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've had low thyroid for many years. I have lost 48 pounds since January. At 60 years old I am losing about 1.4 pounds a week and as long as I keep calories reasonable and walk every day it continues to drop. Hang in there you will likely find many little issues clear up once the meds get balanced. I had headaches for most of my life and once on synthroid they disappeared! Many other issues that had been little annoyances got better too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid, fairly severe, in 2000. Started on synthetic thyroid hormone then, and have needed a couple of dosage adjustments (upward) since.

Starting in April 2015, I lost 60+ pounds, around a third of my bodyweight, by February 2016.

I didn't encounter any particular problems losing, beyond what other folks (non-hypothyroid) experience, as far as I know (and I'm pretty old, 60, as well as hypothyroid).

I had noticed, in the cases in the past when my dosage needed adjustment, that there was sometimes a very slight unusual upward creep of my weight (along with other symptoms) that clued me in that there was an issue. There do seem to be a few people who, even once their TSH is in the normal range, have some difficulties related to T3/T4 conversion, but your doctor can test for this if needed.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm on Synthroid for over 10 years now. In the beginning, the dr did blood tests every few months, but now I only go once or twice a year for that, and my regular dr takes care of it.

I lost the weight I gained. It wasn't easy but losing weight - and keeping it off - never is.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    would it be the reason i gained 8lbs 1 weeks and 3lbs the other? ive just been told by another person that it cant be the reason? and so now im kind of feeling gutted again as i thought i had an answe. my food diary is spot on i eat half of my earned exercise calories, i weigh absolutely everything i even carry a little weighing scale in my bag for snacks and apples. so no cheating no binging no chocolate. and yet i still gained that much over the course of 2 weeks. this morning after the 3rd week, i lost 1lb out of the 11 i gained.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So I put on 11lbs in 2 weeks.. but I think this problem has been going on way before that. Had blood test and shown under active thyroid and now on levotyhrine. Has anyone had success at beginning to lose weight again once medication kicks in? I'm so worried that I'll just have this struggle all my life

If you have a medical condition it is easy to blame that but first rule out other possible causes of fluctuating scale weight

Hormones around ovulation and period
    Change in carb or sodium intake
    Change in exercise or activity
    Dehydration

11lbs in 2 weeks would intake an over maintenance consumption of roughly 38500 calories (an average intake of 60,000 across 2 weeks so over 4000 calories a day) is that likely?

Your meds are supposed to help compensate for thyroid inactivity and should, once dosage is right, lead to weight loss rather than gain (providing you eat appropriately)

Take a deep breath and give it time

• leahcollett1
    Options
    no i definately did not consume that, i was aiming for 1500 each day as well as eating no more than half my exercise cals back. it does feel that i have to work myself to the bone to get 1lb loss. i truly thought at least have that gain would be gone this week as i thought it was fluid retention.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    no i definately did not consume that, i was aiming for 1500 each day as well as eating no more than half my exercise cals back. it does feel that i have to work myself to the bone to get 1lb loss. i truly thought at least have that gain would be gone this week as i thought it was fluid retention.

May well be

It's certainly more likely

It just may take longer

Give it time
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    T4 supplementation is fine for those for whom their thyroid problem is not deep seated, possibly. Unfortunately the national medical system as well as the knowledge of your doctor and even the endo you have been referred to is paramount. Many consider this this to be a very simple problem which often it is not. It causes many to leave the workplace and become dependant.

The longer one lives with your share of the possible 300 symptoms the longer it takes to find your way out of this hole. It probably does not help that this is seen as "women's" problems. Men do have thyroid problems but they are only a small fraction of the number of women whose lives it devastates. Many see this as a problem of weight but it is so very much more, it can effect ones whole body and existence.

It matter too, that you know if you have antibodies which means you have an autoimmune problem where your immune system thinks your thyroid is an alien invader and sets about destructing it. You will be treated with t4 just the same. Finding what causes your supply of antibodies could help you avoid the high destructive levels my system does not encourage this.

Medicating to tsh does not work for everyone. Supplementing with the required minerals to facilitate conversion is often frowned on in many systems. T3 is the active form of thyroid hormone and is needed by every single cell in the body. Conversion should take place in several systems in the body but often don't these include the digestive tract with the help of microbes many of which are killed off by antibiotics, but the medics don't tell you. It also happens within the liver which can be overwhelmed by the task of eliminating the residue of our modern western diets. Many have problems in other areas of their endocrine system which if addressed would ease pressure on the thyroid.

Unfortunately some of us are not getting the t3 into our cells and their is no test for this. The old method of treating patients before the synthetic versions were discovered/invented, treating with NDT was so good because they treated to symptoms rather than numbers which according to STTM are questionable to say the least. The thyroid status of the donor samples were not included in the associated information.

T3's in your body are involved in your menstrual cycle regulatory system/ability to conceive and/or maintain a pregnancy, your digestive system, your well-being/mental heath, ability to avoid and recovery from health challenges. It also is involved in the way each cell is replaced by another, the way they incorporate errors of replication as time passes.

Read as much as you can. Look for scientific papers as well as good sites such as Stop the thyroid madness and thyroid mom, many national support sites are good too. We have an umbrella term which covers many different related problems. It will help you to understand how your personal systems fit together. This is a big subject which gets bigger with the new scientific research which is being published.

I'll end by wishing any hypothyroid person well and hope you find your perfect treatment to become your old self again so you can fully enjoy your life.
  • Pawsforme
    Options
    would it be the reason i gained 8lbs 1 weeks and 3lbs the other? ive just been told by another person that it cant be the reason? and so now im kind of feeling gutted again as i thought i had an answe. my food diary is spot on i eat half of my earned exercise calories, i weigh absolutely everything i even carry a little weighing scale in my bag for snacks and apples. so no cheating no binging no chocolate. and yet i still gained that much over the course of 2 weeks. this morning after the 3rd week, i lost 1lb out of the 11 i gained.

Thyroid problems can affect people differently.

But in general I would say no, it wouldn't cause that large of a weight gain that quickly.

I've suspected for the past six or eight weeks that my thyroid has gone wacky again and I need a medication adjustment. The scale has gone up 1.5 - 2 pounds and stayed there when my food intake and activity level haven't changed to account for that (keep in mind I'm small -- only about 4'10" and 110 pounds, so a 2 pound weight gain isn't insignificant). Plus I have other symptoms -- more tired than normal, some brain fog, joint aches, dry skin, lump-in-the-throat feeling occasionally.

Be wary of advice given on here. I think many people who know nothing about thyroid issues or other endocrine problems chime in to parrot what they've heard is true for "normal" people. Someone with an endocrine issue that can suppress metabolism (even slightly) will not gain/lose weight quite like a "normal" person unless the condition is well controlled. Research says the effect of hypothyrodism on metabolic rate is relatively small, but it is indeed a factor. As an example -- for the past few weeks I've been maintaining on about 1450-1500 calories a day, whereas before I suspected my thyroid was going wacky again I was able to maintain on about 1650 calories a day. So as you can see the effect isn't huge but it's there.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    but i dont think there could be any other reason, the weight gain has stayed with me for 3 weeks, so totm water weight is out the question, extra sodium? out the question would of leveled by now, exercise swelling? havent increased it, so not that either. i have definitely not been overeating, as ive even begun weighing apples and eggs and them sorts of things which i became lax on i admit.
    i have drilled and drilled my brain as too what i was doing so wrong to lead me to have such a significant gain. and nothing came to mind, which is when last night when the doctors rang i felt a sense of relief, knowing that something else out of my control was at play here. apparently you can hold up to 5-10lbs water retention with thyroid issues when they first appear. so im just keeping my fingers crossed that with these tablets and carrying on what im doing it will eventually go in the right direction.

my mother was the same - "you need to eat less" i tried to explain that i was eating loads less than my recommended allowance i was exercising 5 times a week and eating half the cals back through hunger. but no one believed me, they looked at me as if they thought i was sleep eating or secret eating, when i truly wasnt. i measure weighed everything - even adjusted my recipe entries with different meat weights each time i have that meal. trust me ive been bloody spot on these past 3 weeks, longer than that even and nothing is moving, i died when i saw that 8lbs gain the first week then the following a further 3lbs. it floored me.
  • Pawsforme
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think fluid retention is the cause of a lot of hypothyrodism related "weight" gain. One reason I knew something had to be wrong before I was diagnosed was that I had gotten very squishy, especially around my abdomen. It was unlike any true weight (fat) gain I'd ever had before, and unlike normal fluid retention. And once the levothyroxine kicked in and the scale started dropping it was relatively easy for me to lose, which is another thing that made me think quite a lot of it was maybe fluid that was releasing slowly.

Like I said, everybody with hypothyroidism is probably a little different. Having lived with it myself for awhile now I'd be the last person to tell you that it's absolutely not possible to gain that much that quickly.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    thanks hun, i really thought i was going bonkers - i even went out to tescos and go weighed as i thought my scales had had it lol. i really hope once the pills kick in i can continue to count calories and exercise and see a downward trend instead of down 1 step up 3 steps :)
  • mefatpat2
    mefatpat2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hmmm. I really think everyone is different. I have been on thyroid meds for 24 years. I am now 71. High weight was 200 lbs. When I first started on meds I lost 20 lbs very fast. Then I lost another 20 lbs very slow. These past two months I have lost another 6 lbs. I have made some drastic changes in my diet these last two months so I think that has a lot to do with the additional lost. Primary has been really really watching my salt (sodium) intake. The recommended amount for those of us over 65 is 1500 mg/day. Healthy amount of sodium in any given serving of food is 140 mg. I can't really say how much I was consuming in the past but I keep track now and most days I am right around 1,100 mg. I find that if it goes too low I don't do well so I try to stay between 1,100 and 1500 mg per day.

Each of us has to find their own way I think but salt (sodium) will make the body retain fluid just as an underactive thryoid will. (reduces kidney function - among many other things)
  • Justme_1
    Justme_1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroid, don't know how much of my weight struggles I can blame on it. Trying to lose weight, but told I need to eat more to maintain metabolism. Damned either way
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Many of us do not do well on T4 only medications such as Synthroid. This is because our bodies do not properly convert T4, which is inactive, into T3, which is the active thyroid hormone that our bodies actually use.

If you're on thyroid medication and you still have symptoms such as dry hair, insomnia, brittle nails and unexplained weight gain or resistance to weight loss, it might benefit you to insist that your doctor run a FULL thyroid panel, including Free T4 and Free T3, as well as thyroid antibodies. Many doctors will resist because they've been poorly educated, but that's no reason why anyone should continue to suffer.

My GP resisted doing the test, so I had it done privately and showed him the results. He had to eat his prejudices right in front of me. And then he prescribed me T3. I've never looked back.

In spite of what doctors have (mis)learned, many of us benefit from having T3 added, whether it is in the form of synthetic T3 (Cytomel) or in the form of a natural desiccated thyroid, which contains both T4 and T3.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    I've been prescribed 25mg of levothyroxine. Will this be enough. I thought it was pretty low?