Cycle your Calories, help your plateau.

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
By "cycling" your calorie intake throughout the week, you can expedite weight loss by tricking the body’s own fat-preservation methods, said Brad Schoenfeld, a fitness trainer in Scarsdale, N.Y., and author of "Women's Home Workout Bible" (Human Kinetics, 2010).

For example, if your target calorie intake is 1,500 calories a day, you would eat 1,200 calories on Monday, 1,500 on Tuesday, and 1,800 on Wednesday, and then repeat.

"This helps to override the body's natural starvation mechanism, tricking it into greater fat loss," Schoenfeld said.

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/seven-diet-tricks-for-weight-loss-1078/1

Replies

• vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    That makes sense, but does that mean you still eat back exercise calories?
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    Interesting. Any success stories out there?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    By "cycling" your calorie intake throughout the week, you can expedite weight loss by tricking the body’s own fat-preservation methods, said Brad Schoenfeld, a fitness trainer in Scarsdale, N.Y., and author of "Women's Home Workout Bible" (Human Kinetics, 2010).

For example, if your target calorie intake is 1,500 calories a day, you would eat 1,200 calories on Monday, 1,500 on Tuesday, and 1,800 on Wednesday, and then repeat.

"This helps to override the body's natural starvation mechanism, tricking it into greater fat loss," Schoenfeld said.

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/seven-diet-tricks-for-weight-loss-1078/1

It works. I do something slightly different...two days around 1300-1500 (36yrs old, 180lbs, 5'7" tall, 19% bodyfat), and one day over 2100 (plus exercise calories!). This keeps my metabolism kicking in high gear and keeps the fat loss comnig steadily. It helped (among other things) me break a six week plateau, and in the two weeks since I've lost 8lbs.
    That makes sense, but does that mean you still eat back exercise calories?

Yes.
    Interesting. Any success stories out there?

See my post above =D.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I don't know how this works with exercise involved. I workout a ton for work, so eating back my calories is tough. I'm wondering how I would cycle?
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i've been zigzagging for a couple of weeks now and have definitely noticed an increase in loss (lost threeish pound over the last couple of weeks instead of my usual 1 or 2 a MONTH). My goal before exercise is 1260 so i'll eat 1200 or 1300 one day, then up to 1700 the next day, then back to 1200/1300 - so i'm eating 3000 cals over two days no matter how i split them up. This means every other day I'm basically not eating back exercise calories. Working for now!! Basically though i'm not following MFP's recommendations for me- just using it as a calorie counter.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I don't know how this works with exercise involved. I workout a ton for work, so eating back my calories is tough. I'm wondering how I would cycle?

If you workout for work...that's part of your daily activity level and should be calculated into your basic metabolic rate. Someone like you would need a bodybugg or the like to determine your basic caloric need for a week before anything could be done with any accuracy.

I read your other post...I REALLY think you needed more food as you're incredibly active (plus pretty damn fit anyhow!). The cycling is just the icing on the cake.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    "Rinse and repeat..."

I need to try this. I've been at a plateau for the past ten days. Very frustrating....
  • dme3o
    dme3o Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It works and it's a proven method used by bodybuilders. I've done/doing it and it's definitely in my "tool" kit! :) Thanks for posting @cee134!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Can't wait to get the book.
  • sbourassa18
    Options
    So for 1,200, I should do 900, 1,200 and then 1,500??
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    So for 1,200, I should do 900, 1,200 and then 1,500??

Well, it's bad to eat less then 1200 calories a day. Cycling from what I've heard is well above the minimum amount of calories the average human needs to survive. I would talk to a doctor about trying anything less then 1200 calories a day and see if a form of cycling can be done or if it shouldn't.
  • AmandaLenn86
    AmandaLenn86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think im going to try this :)
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I'd love to try this, but I don't think I can?

I'm only at 1270 calories a day to lose 1lb a week. I can't cut more than 70 cals from any given day to cycle down.....
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Cycling when you're very close to that 'minimum' caloric intake isn't really a problem. As long as you're getting your macro nutrients on the low days...and you're not extending them out...your metabolism and health will never even notice.

Age/height/weight, and how much you have to lose to be at a healthy body fat level have much to do with it as well.

If your goal is 1270cal, and you pull 1000 one day, and 1400 the third...you'll be fine.
  • s_a_ramey
    s_a_ramey Posts: 12
    Options
    Going to try this! I have been stuck for 6 weeks. Thank you!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try this, but I don't think I can?

I'm only at 1270 calories a day to lose 1lb a week. I can't cut more than 70 cals from any given day to cycle down.....

MFP sets me at 1260, you could try what I'm doing- i do 1200-1300 one day (keep in mind i exercise every day, burning around 300-400) and don't eat my exercise calories back (and dont pay attention to net calories) and keep food nutrient packed, next day i'll have 1600-1700 so that I'm having 3000 cals over two days and keep everything healthy- mostly veggies, protein and some fruit and whole grains. it's working for now and I don't feel deprived because I have my high zigzag days to look forward to :o) those are the days I'll let myself have some dark chocolate or sugar free something or other.
  • Lynwilli
    Lynwilli Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you so much with that post!
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wonder if it will help me out of this stupid gain lose cycle
  • nursekj
    nursekj Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info being in a plateau for a month as only 1200 a day, sounds like a great idea!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    thanks for the info being in a plateau for a month as only 1200 a day, sounds like a great idea!

Hun, if you plateaued at only 1200cal/day...what you need is MORE calories, not necessarily to cycle them.

=D