Suggestions for cutting down on coffee?

Options
kirkscott1426
kirkscott1426 Posts: 18 Member
edited August 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Although I drink it black, I know that as much coffee as I drink can't be good for my health. Any suggestions from people who have cut down? What have you substituted. I will always enjoy my coffee in the morning, but I don't need to drink it throughout the day. Thanks.

Replies

• killingthejiggle89
    killingthejiggle89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I used herbal tea with no caffeine. That worked for me. But perhaps if you just like the taste of coffee you should try decaf
  • nfelkel
    nfelkel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Or drink bad decaf, which is an Abomination Unto Nuggan, and potentially great aversion therapy.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Although I drink it black, I know that as much coffee as I drink can't be good for my health. Any suggestions from people who have cut down? What have you substituted. I will always enjoy my coffee in the morning, but I don't need to drink it throughout the day. Thanks.

If you drink a lot of coffee, and drink it every day, you might want to find out if you have a caffeine addiction. All you really have to do is not drink coffee, soda, tea--anything caffeinated--for about a day to a day and a half. You'll get a headache that feels a lot like a headache from dehydration (or a hangover).

I was drinking a lot of coffee too. But when I discovered the dependence I had on caffeine, it didn't take me long to cut back on coffee, just for the sake of breaking the addiction. (In my case I quit cold-turkey, though substitution with low/no caffeine alternatives works just as well.)
  • nfelkel
    nfelkel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness I cut back by switching to tea for a while then back to 1 cup of coffee in the morning
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot but it started effecting my sleep. I started by only drinking decaf coffee after 3pm. I then started having the odd cup of tea instead of coffee on a morning.

I now drink tea on a morning and have my one lovely cup of coffee to follow my lunch and no caffeine after that one. I know I still have a fair bit of caffeine but it no longer effects my sleep which was my goal.
  • nukephysics
    nukephysics Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was caffeine from for about 4-5 years. I drank nothing but water and fruit juices (in moderation). The best way to do it is cold turkey with a bottle of Tylenol nearby. Once you break the headaches you're golden. Green Tea a great alternative too because it has low amounts of caffeine (compared to coffee), and it acts to rid your body of toxins.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it all day, but it started to keep me up at night. Now I stop drinking it at noon and switch to water.
  • NewSouthernBelle
    NewSouthernBelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Club soda gives me the same feeling of being full as hot coffee. And actually chewing gum (sugarfree) or eating a small peace of dark chocolate helps reduce my coffee cravings occationally.
  • kirkscott1426
    kirkscott1426 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Back 10 years ago I was easily a pot a day. I made myself cognizant of this and started cutting back. I was a 2 cup a day on weekdays for the last 2 years and now I am cut to one cup a day. On weekends I tend to drink more.

FYI caffeine is actually good for you in moderation. Take the link with a grain of salt.

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/top-10-caffeine-health-benefits