Too little calories ?

Options
Mimirari
Mimirari Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone I started my weight loss journey yesterday and in those two days I only eaten 1000 calories but I'm feeling full ? I'm not a big eater, but I used to eat a lot of junk food.
In the past I did another diet and I was eating around 1000 calories too, I lost 8kg but I hit a plateau at 81kg like every time and it always discourage me because it last 2-3 weeks without any change between some grams, but I don't want to stop again. I seen some peoples say that when you hit a plateau you should change your intake calories of everyday like 1200 and the day after 1400 etc until the plateau break.
So yeah I have all those questions :
Should I eat more ?
Is it a good method to break a plateau ?

Thanks a lot to those who'll answer me ! ~

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is MFP's default minimum (before exercise).....this is so women can get adequate nutrition.

Are you meeting both protein & fat goals at 1,000 calories?

Are you extremely petite (I can see you're not elderly)......this might warrant fewer calories. Unless you are very petite....yes, eat more.

If you are full on 1,000 calories, then add some calorie dense foods (small portions big calories)....nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, avocado, cheese. Losing weight quickly makes it difficult for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. To lose a higher % of fat.....a moderate deficit is better.

Weight loss will not be linear. Some weeks you may experience no loss, and make up for it the next. Water weight can fluctuate for many reasons: time of month, sore muscles, higher sodium.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    First of all, you shouldn't go below 1200 calories. When you eat at very low calories for a long time it can cause your metabolism to slow down, which can cause a plateau. Assuming the plateau is caused by the metabolism slowing down then yes you should increase calories for a while and then go back to what you were eating before. I suppose alternating days would do the same thing. Only way to know is to try it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your food on a food scale, or eyeballing portions? It's very difficult to determine exactly how many calories you are eating if you are not weighing.
  • Mimirari
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your food on a food scale, or eyeballing portions? It's very difficult to determine exactly how many calories you are eating if you are not weighing.

Well I eat most of the time by 1 fruit, 1 veggies and things like that and weight only things like rice, lettuce and things like that but you're right I should probably weight all of it, thanks for the advice !
  • Mimirari
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    1200 is MFP's default minimum (before exercise).....this is so women can get adequate nutrition.

Are you meeting both protein & fat goals at 1,000 calories?

Are you extremely petite (I can see you're not elderly)......this might warrant fewer calories. Unless you are very petite....yes, eat more.

If you are full on 1,000 calories, then add some calorie dense foods (small portions big calories)....nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, avocado, cheese. Losing weight quickly makes it difficult for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. To lose a higher % of fat.....a moderate deficit is better.

Weight loss will not be linear. Some weeks you may experience no loss, and make up for it the next. Water weight can fluctuate for many reasons: time of month, sore muscles, higher sodium.

I'm around 1m60 I think it's around 5'2 in English, and I eaten an Avocado yesterday but it seems like my nutriments doesn't require some of it ? But I'll keep eating some because I know it's really healthy and good for the body as for the nuts I feel like my body don't take them well, like they make me take weight, every body is different and maybe mine don't like those but there's still others options, still thanks a lot !
  • marian_fit
    marian_fit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Mimi, I too hit a plateau for 3-4 months. I could not figure out what was wrong. I tried doing higher intensity exercise and lifting and gained a few lbs. I realized I may have been eating too less. So I tried eating different amounts on different days but stay within my calorie limit and try to have Net 1200 at least. The days I workout and burn more I really need to make an effort to eat more. However that seems to be working and I have started losing some of the weight I gained :) each body is different. You need to try a few things and see what works for you.
  • debradonothin
    debradonothin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough calories with catch up with you..