Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat!!!

Options

Replies

• amwoods72
    amwoods72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!! LOL!! I have had so many people tell me this and I say no, muscle is just leaner than fat. A pound is a pound no matter how you look at it. There was a trick question once that asked, "What weighs more a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers?" So many people said bricks for obvious reasons but the correct answer is they weight the same - A POUND of feathers and a POUND of bricks is still a pound :) Not sure why everyone says this LOL!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I think this was covered in 5th grade. Different mass at equal volume . . .
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP always seems to have all the fun starting all the controversial threads. I feel like I need to join in on the fun. :tongue:

Next up: I'm not losing weight even though I'm eating -245 calories and exercising for 27 hours a day.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I sure seems like life would be easier if folks just actually said what they meant...
  • newthinkingfish
    newthinkingfish Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Whether a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle takes up less space than fat, but it does NOT weigh less. Another weight loss myth. I hate to see people deceived by this.

Good grief. People say that & just mean that 1# of muscle has less volume than 1# of fat.. ie. muscle tissue is more dense than fat globs. Regardless, just loose the fat & get on w/it. There's no myth about that !
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Just let it go. When someone says that to me, I just smile and nod and not give them any sharp objects.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Density is a factor of mass to space. Muscle is more dense than fat.

Saying "muscle doesn't weigh more than fat" is a skewed one sided view and a dismissal of common colloquial usage of the word "weigh" as it is used in the English language. People say something floats because it is "lighter" than the water. What they mean is the density is lower but that is understood because that is the use of the word in the colloquial sense.

Muscle weighs more than fat if you are considering a piece of muscle and a piece of fat that occupy the same volume. That is the way it honestly makes sense to think about it. Otherwise nothing weighs more than anything else by your logic and therefore the very concept of "Weight" is rendered meaningless.

Saying a pound of muscle weighs as much as a pound of fat is a tautology that caries no information with it as a pound of anything weighs as much as a pound of anything else. Its a meaningless statement meant to sound intelligent that is really just a waste of breath.

The statement that muscle weighs more than fat however DOES convey meaning, it informs that the density of muscle is greater which is of use in picturing how losing 20 pounds of fat after gaining 20 pounds of muscle could make you appear considerably smaller and leaner.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Saying "muscle doesn't weigh more than fat" is a skewed one sided view and a dismissal of common colloquial usage of the word "weigh" as it is used in the English language. People say something floats because it is "lighter" than the water. What they mean is the density is lower but that is understood because that is the use of the word in the colloquial sense.

Muscle weighs more than fat if you are considering a piece of muscle and a piece of fat that occupy the same volume. That is the way it honestly makes sense to think about it. Otherwise nothing weighs more than anything else by your logic and therefore the very concept of "Weight" is rendered meaningless.

Saying a pound of muscle weighs as much as a pound of fat is a tautology that caries no information with it as a pound of anything weighs as much as a pound of anything else. Its a meaningless statement meant to sound intelligent that is really just a waste of breath.

The statement that muscle weighs more than fat however DOES convey meaning, it informs that the density of muscle is greater which is of use in picturing how losing 20 pounds of fat after gaining 20 pounds of muscle could make you appear considerably smaller and leaner.

Then why not just say "muscle is more dense than fat" and be actually correct...?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    143tobe wrote: »
    Seriously, are we here again? Like this topic hasn't been posted here for the zillionth time. Oh no... a zillion is not a real number. Quick! Someone call me out on it.
    It's true, a zillion isn't a number, but muscle does weigh more than fat.
    There are lots and lots of repeated threads with the same questions over and over again. Answering them right isn't wrong.

Only if the muscle and fat are of equal sizes.

holy-sht.gif

LOl! Awesome gif.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Whether a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle takes up less space than fat, but it does NOT weigh less. Another weight loss myth. I hate to see people deceived by this.

I hear ya, a pound is a pound, except.......be open to this.....

If you compare one cubic inch of fat to one cubic inch of muscle, then the muscle would weigh more than the fat because it (the fat) is denser. This is generally what a lot of people think when they say muscle weighs more than fat.

However, there are people who take the muscle weighs more than fat literally and believe that is the reason they are not losing weight.

The people who do what you're describing here are not misunderstanding the concept of "muscle weighs more than fat." They are misunderstanding the concept of how difficult it is to put on muscle mass.
    Different things.

70490754.jpg

Good point.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sheldonz42 wrote: »

Then why not just say "muscle is more dense than fat" and be actually correct...?

Because colloquialisms are okay and in our language people generally refer to things as being "lighter" if they are less dense. Like how helium is lighter than air or styrofom is lighter than water.

Its because when we compare two objects we tend to think of them as being the same size because size is what our animal brains seem to consider important in terms of equality.

Thats okay, don't have to "correct" it everytime by saying "but a pound is a pound" which is just a tautological statement.

If we want to get nitpicky "weight" is not really a fundamental thing, its arbitrary and based on what source of gravity you happen to be near. Volume and mass however are more fundamental.

If you can convince the entire world to talk in more physics-accurate terms I'm on board but until then I'm just going to speak in such a way as to be understood by the majority of people so that I can best convey my meaning.

Honestly I think it makes more sense to say "Muscle weighs more than fat" and have it just be understood that you mean more dense than it is to say "Muscle weighs more than fat in the specific circumstance in which they share equal volume" because that just adds a lot of words that you probably didn't need to say to be understood.

I love you

In a purely "there's someone left on these boards to learn from" way
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    sheldonz42 wrote: »

Because colloquialisms are okay and in our language people generally refer to things as being "lighter" if they are less dense. Like how helium is lighter than air or styrofom is lighter than water.

Its because when we compare two objects we tend to think of them as being the same size because size is what our animal brains seem to consider important in terms of equality.

Thats okay, don't have to "correct" it everytime by saying "but a pound is a pound" which is just a tautological statement.

If we want to get nitpicky "weight" is not really a fundamental thing, its arbitrary and based on what source of gravity you happen to be near. Volume and mass however are more fundamental.

If you can convince the entire world to talk in more physics-accurate terms I'm on board but until then I'm just going to speak in such a way as to be understood by the majority of people so that I can best convey my meaning.

Honestly I think it makes more sense to say "Muscle weighs more than fat" and have it just be understood that you mean more dense than it is to say "Muscle weighs more than fat in the specific circumstance in which they share equal volume" because that just adds a lot of words that you probably didn't need to say to be understood.

I love you

In a purely "there's someone left on these boards to learn from" way

For real!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Tell you what, OP. Next time I move, you can come help me. You can carry all my books and I'll carry all the pillows and you aren't allowed to complain about your boxes being heavier because a pound is a pound so that would be stupid.
  • MrsLuca
    MrsLuca Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Thats okay, don't have to "correct" it everytime by saying "but a pound is a pound" which is just a tautological...

Stop. Right there. You had me at "tautological".
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Tell you what, OP. Next time I move, you can come help me. You can carry all my books and I'll carry all the pillows and you aren't allowed to complain about your boxes being heavier because a pound is a pound so that would be stupid.

I'm stealing this for the hundreds of future muscle/fat debates. I hope you don't mind. LOL