Irregular body types: Is it possible to change the proportio

For some reason I tend to carry most of my weight in my arms and upper back, and I have fairly lean legs and narrow hips, which I find to be less common in women. I know it is not possible to naturally change fat distribution, or bone structure. Is there anyone out there who has changed the shape of their body with weight training or other exercise? Or once you lost a certain amount of weight, your body seemed to even itself out? I would love to hear from some other ladies!

Replies

• fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    I know that you can't spot reduce, like doing crunches to get rid of extra stomache fat. Doing toning helps, but it is a combination of diet and exercise. You can concentrate on those problem areas but over all if your body was packing on the pounds in certain areas it will reduce in size as you change your habbits. You'll get there, I know what it's like when you seem to be the only person with your body type. Be blessed.:smile:
  • picklepoo
    picklepoo Posts: 9 Member
    Oops my title was too long. Hopefully everyone is smart enough to figure it out.
  • picklepoo
    picklepoo Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks fit4mom! Even after losing 60 pounds my body was strangely shaped, I did notice that it was less disproportionate the more weight I lost. I guess I am hoping to discover a muscle group to build up, to make my hips/butt look larger.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Good question! I have very skinny legs (even when I am heavy), so now that I have lost weight, (I'm right in the middle of what is considered ideal for my height), I am constantly hearing how I've "gotten too skinny" because my legs are so skinny.

I get really tired of hearing this!! I telll people that my legs were skinny before, too and that when I'm fat I look like a tomato on toothpicks and when I'm skinny I look like a green bean on toothpicks! This gets a laugh, but I still get tired of hearing everyone's opinion of my legs sometimes. The rest of me is slim but not skinny. I still have curves, and feel like my figure is better even than when I was a teen. I wish I could reduce a bit more of my middle, though, so I will look forward to hearing what everyone says.