Deployment and Life

Options
I was doing really good there until about a week ago. Then I had family come visit over the holiday weekend, I totally splurged on my culprit carbs, and am having trouble pulling myself back into the routine. My stressful life right now isn't helping too much. Dealing with a deployed soldier, taking care of his house/rental apartment/horse boarding stable, and maintaining a fulltime job as well. The anxiety and stress has really taken me over and is on the verge of depression... well maybe i have hit bottom on the emotional stance and I'm deperately trying to pull myself back together. I only have a little over 3 months to go until he's back but the daily routine is getting harder. I've never been through deployment before... how should one deal with it? The therapist wasn't much help.....

Replies

• angelarozmyn
    Options
    I'd say stay really busy but looks like you're already doing that :) sleep in when you can lol. Be around people who make you laugh. EXERCISE! Really working up a sweat/out of breath means you don't have time to think about other things. Don't count down each day...makes it feel slower, IMO. But you're almost there!!! will be the best day ever when you see him walk off the plane! stay strong <3

(hubby is a marine)
  • priescm
    priescm Posts: 95
    Options
    When my husband was deployed last year, I found new hobbies and friends. It was the only way to get through.
    We were actually only engaged at the time...he got home 2 weeks before our wedding. It was VERY stressful not being able to talk to him as much or plan things with him. I was in school full-time and trying to plan our wedding while he was thousands of miles away. I ended up getting a new puppy which helped pass the time....but I also picked up painting and took different classes at the community center in my area (such as cake decorating) which were fun, helped me meet people, and kept me occupied. Good luck with everything! I know how crazy deployements can be. Luckily we are on a 3 year tour and my husband most likely won't be deployed any time soon...but once we leave here, he's open for Korea. I'm already trying to plan things to do for if/when he leaves.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hi there -

I'm a Navy wife and I've been through 3 deployments and lots of time apart. It's tough - that's true - I try to keep very busy (job, school, workout, etc etc)... and try to find some other wives/gf's that are in your situation. I used to go to dinner once a week with a group of navy wives - it was just nice to have people that can understand your situation. Feel free to friend me and/or message me if you wanna talk about it

- Ashley
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Theres really no one way to deal with a deployment. What I do, is try to find something to do everyday. Even if it's just going to the mall just to walk around. If you have kids, have some "alone" time to just read a book, or watch a series of a favorite tv show. 3 months left! You can do it!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Hugs.... lots and lots of hugs....

The only thing I can say is keep trying. I personally haven't found the happy medium either. Mine is on a year long remote tour in Korea. It sucks no matter how you look at it.

On one deployment I over packed my schedule and stressed myself. On another, I under did my schedule and drank too much the entire time he was gone.

There is a happy medium and it takes just doing it I think. And its not a constant thing. I've been off and on on this one. Some weeks its good others not at all. The one thing that has helped a lot as far as getting in the exercise, is having a parnter. I have two different work out partners so that I feel obligated to go. Without them I wouldn't be nearly as diligant as i have been. And support lots of support.

You can do this. Just remember why you are doing it. And its okay to let the emotions out. you need to, and its ok to ask for help, just because some don't understand the reasonings or the things that you're going through doesn't mean they won't help you.

okay sorry that was so long. hope it helps.
  • bobbie228
    bobbie228 Posts: 53
    Options
    FIRST and most of all Thank you and Thank your husband! Please, know that you and his sacrifices do not go unnoticed and unappreciated! I don't have a soldier husband so while I can say I sympathize I really can't! The closest I have ever had is my husband working out of town every week.

With those being said, I am a firm believer in you get what you expect to get out of any day. If I go to bed with the mindset of I have such a crazy stressful day ahead i.e. work a 12 hour day again and then run to this place for Child A and then this place for Child B plus squeeze in a workout all while trying to log and keep track of everything I am shoving in my mouth. I wake up still exhausted and dreading the day more. I usually tell myself tomorrow is going to be fantastic what will be will be and I will figure it all out, because I always do. I continue the day this way when I wake up. I try to not let myself think things are overwhelming and try to focus on the fact that HEY I FREAKING ROCK! I can stay within my calories and be the craziest busiest mom of 2 working 2 jobs. I will get some form of workout in even if it is me chasing kids! NO Matter what just focus on one task at a time. YOU can control your carb intake you have proven you've done it before.
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouraging words... only way to do this I think is to go day by day. Some days are better than others... I CAN DO THIS!!!