MFP or IIFYM recommendations-confused

Options
FLBeachluvr
FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
Back in 2012 I lost 50 lbs. with Weight Watchers. Since then I've regained almost 30 lbs. I'm working hard at getting back on track but don't want to have to pay for WW. Plus I like tracking my nutrition more closely. I've plugged my stats (height, weight, age, activity level, etc) into MFP and IIFYM and get quite different suggestions and I'm confused as to which I should go with, or does it really make much of a difference in the grand scheme?

MFP
1200 calories/day
Carbs: 150 g
Fat 40 g
Protein 60 g

IIFYM
1318 calories/day
Carbs: 80 g
Fat 59 g
Protein 118 g

Obviously the IIFYM plan is much lower in carbs and higher in fat and protein. My main goal at this point is weight loss and secondary is increasing my endurance and then finally I want to work on increasing muscle.

Suggestions or feedback?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IIFYM tends to be a little protein heavy I find. Depends if you fancy doing good low carb or not?

A lot of people go by 0.8x bodyweight in lbs for protein, 0.4 x bodyweight for fat and the rest carbs.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat food you like. Hit an appropriate calorie goal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit for weight loss, so for weight loss it does not matter..

for body comp you want stricter macro/micro adherence...

also, where did you get your numbers from ..the carbs seem low for an IIFYM plan ...? what is your current weight?
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    calorie deficit for weight loss, so for weight loss it does not matter..

for body comp you want stricter macro/micro adherence...

also, where did you get your numbers from ..the carbs seem low for an IIFYM plan ...? what is your current weight?

I used the IIFYM calculator: age 54, height 5'3", current weight 147. Oops I did recheck and the suggested carbs are 87g.
  • oglalagirl724
    oglalagirl724 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

My suggestion would be figure out what you like to eat, play with the macros and caloric intake and find what works best for you, those BMR numbers are guidelines and they change as you lose weight.

I like the Ketos diet: high fat 75%, low protein, 20% low carb 5%. It's almost Atkins with caloric restrictions. I lost 30# since May 20, 2016. But it is hard to eat that much fat and stay that low in carbs at first, but I am never hungry! The fat helps you to not feel hungry. The very low carb diet keeps me away from sugar, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and forces me to eat vegetables which I never ate before.
    Here's some help with Macros:
    80g carb x 4 calories =25% 59g fat x 9 calories =40% 118g protein x 4 calories = 35% of your total 1318 calories.
    50g carb x 4 calories = 15% 85g fat x 9 calories= 58% 90g protein x 4 calories = 27% of your total 1318 calories
    150g carb x4 calories = 45% 45g fat x 9 calories = 30% 85g protein x 4 calories = 25% of your total 1318 calories
    20g carb x4 calories= 6% 95g fat x 9 calories= 71% 75g protein x 4 calories= 25% of your 1200 calories
    Play with those numbers till you find what works for you. Don't forget your BMR will change as you lose weight- plug in the numbers for your goal weight and learn to eat what it will take to keep the weight off.
    I'm not a nutritionist or Dr. Just a fat person trying to not feel like I am starving so I can lose weight. I also don't believe anyone REALLY understands weight-loss and nutrition. There are literally thousands of experts who cannot agree on what's healthy or what works. I believe your body will tell you. I made a chart so I can record the date, carbs, calories, fat & protein, daily morning weight, daily evening weight and weekly inches. I can look back at about 60 days on one sheet of paper. It helps keep me focused.
    Hope this helps. Be blessed on your journey.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    IIFYMs includes your exercise.
    MFP does not. It assumes you will log additionally.

So your calorie goal will likely vary.
    Also it depends which weight loss goal you choose. I believe IIFYM uses percentages (I may be wrong). A 20% deficit is tofu by equivalent to a 1 lb a week goal on MFP.

MFP uses the minimum protein suggestion. IIFYM tends to be a higher protein recommendations.

If you use MFP plus exercise it should average out over the week to roughly the same as TDEE.