Weekend with boyfriend

Options
So I'm going to see my boyfriend this weekend, and usually when I go to visit I don't want to be fussy so I just eat whatever his family eats. Typically, they usually eat quick foods like pizza, jimmy johns, etc. any tips as to how I can still stay within my calorie goals? I've been trying to stay under this week so when I do go out with him and his family the results aren't as bad.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat amounts proportionate to your calories goals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat however much fits in your calorie goal
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Try to look up calorie info for the places you'll be going in advance, if possible. Pick out one or two items at each of the restaurants they frequent that can be your go-to order. Consider prelogging this choice for the day so you'll be able to plan around it. You can work some of your own foods in as well by packing healthy snacks (a bag of baby carrots, some string cheese, yogurt - easy to grab and doesn't look crazy when you show up with a couple items to keep in their fridge). You could also offer to prepare a meal or a side dish to accompany the meal if you'll be eating at their home. Make something healthy and fill most of your plate with that, and smaller portions of the calorie-dense food they are eating.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the bread...... Push for vegetables at every turn. You don't want to hate yourself on Monday. If they know you are watching your weight,.. and Mr. Boyfriend knows, it won't kill him to buy some cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, and make THE BIG SALAD....... Don't eat pizza...... it's greasy, high carbs , sodium filled... BE kind to yourself..... and this can all be done with a smile....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    have fun with your boyfriend and don't worry about calories..it is only two days...
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Take your own food. I take my own food everywhere. I've eaten my own food at restaurants before (I try to avoid going to restaurants unless it's one my diet approves of).
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It's only two days. Just eat less. 1 piece of pizza, 1/2 Jimmy Johns. No mayo (use mustard instead). No cheese.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about the calories....you can always burn those calories again in the kitchen, bathroom, attic, garden, bedroom, tree house... if you know what i mean *winkwink*
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Eat however much fits in your calorie goal
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    have fun with your boyfriend and don't worry about calories..it is only two days...

Basically those two things.

Eat food your enjoy in reasonable portions.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    go all in
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    This can be a bit of a tricky situation. Have you tried having a conversation with your boyfriend about your goals and how eating with him can be a challenge? I ask because I had similar problems when I started seeing my boyfriend and eventually I broke down and sent him an email talking about my goals and how it was difficult eating with him and his family. He was really understanding and stood by me.

Actions we have taken since:
    1. Often we will pick up the groceries and cook supper for everyone.
    2. Sometimes my BF and I will eat separately (earlier or later) than the rest of the family.
    3. Sometimes (especially for special occasions) we will still eat with the entire family, we will just eat less of the convenience food and make a salad or something to add to the offerings.

These things have helped my boyfriend and I both lose weight and his family eat a bit healthier.
  • drakay
    drakay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    a) know in advance that's coming up and "earn" extra calories on the weekend by going under a bit each day for a week or if it's too late for that
    b) going to Jimmy John's - get the "unwich" (sandwich on lettuce)! Getting pizza (my personal arch enemy)? Request that a salad be ordered with the pizza (even just a small one for you if everyone else is going to poo-poo that idea) and eat the salad first. Even better, stock your stomach with plenty of water well before the pizza arrives to increase the chances you'll feel fuller before you eat too much pizza! Good luck!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    jimmy johns slim 4 (turkey)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This can be a bit of a tricky situation. Have you tried having a conversation with your boyfriend about your goals and how eating with him can be a challenge? I ask because I had similar problems when I started seeing my boyfriend and eventually I broke down and sent him an email talking about my goals and how it was difficult eating with him and his family. He was really understanding and stood by me.

Actions we have taken since:
    1. Often we will pick up the groceries and cook supper for everyone.
    2. Sometimes my BF and I will eat separately (earlier or later) than the rest of the family.
    3. Sometimes (especially for special occasions) we will still eat with the entire family, we will just eat less of the convenience food and make a salad or something to add to the offerings.

These things have helped my boyfriend and I both lose weight and his family eat a bit healthier.

umm it is only two days....
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Get the JJ lettace wraps, only have 1 or two slices of pizza.

If i were you I would just have smaller portions for most meals and then if one or 2 meals you eat more it wont be a big deal.
  • _pragma_
    _pragma_ Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Budjola wrote: »
    go all in

Best tip. It's just two days. Live a little. /thread
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Not always a great plan...might end up married one day and it'll spiral! I know this...
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Is your boyfriend aware that you're trying to lose weight? If so could you come up with a compromise where one night you eat their food and one night the two of you eat something else?

Yes it is only two days and you can probably scooch calories around a bit for two days, but long term you're going to need a better way of handling being at other people's homes and eating out.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you're really concerned about going over for a couple days, you can also save up extra calories by creating a bigger deficit in the days leading up to the trip. Probably too late now but keep in mind for next time.