Running watch?

Options
Hi! I just ran my 5k last weekend. I'm now starting to train for a 10k. I need a watch, a monitor, something to keep track of my speed and my mileage. I'm not looking to spend a lot.

Recommendations or experiences appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? I use the Runkeeper app.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 5k! Do you have a smartphone to carry with you? I use an app called AllSpot GPS . Its really accurate with mileage and calorie burn. Even tracks your running vs resting time to an extent. I useit every run!
  • MamaNatasha
    MamaNatasha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I have a blackberry but I'm getting an iphone in a few days. Should I just get one of those phone holders?
  • ilikeitdoulikeit
    Options
    Hi. If you have an iPhone, Android, or Blackberry, you should be able to download "RunKeeper" or "MapMyRun" to your phone. You can also log into each applications' website. These apps are free and will track your distance, activity, calories burned, etc. I use Runkeeper. It is pretty good. Sometimes the GPS is off and gives false mileage, but I will usually drive my route to double check. 8 of 10 times it is right on. Hope this help out. Good Luck!
  • Cheetah63
    Cheetah63 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi good for you for completing your first 5km,keep it up. I'm training for a marathon and just purchased a watch with a GPs that is what you need to track the distance you ran,they are anywhere from 175 to the sky is the limit. you could try google your routes to get the distance and purchase a cheaper watch to time yourself and figure out your speed.
  • runningpfuhl
    runningpfuhl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I ditto the suggestion of RunKeeper.

Also Bridge to 10K App and Jeff Galloway 10K App.
  • elspencero
    elspencero Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good job on the 5k!

If you wanted the watch to keep track of you mileage you would need a watch with GPS like any of the Garmins. I have my eye on the forerunner 110, but it comes with a $250 price tag. I haven't saved up enough so I have been using gmaps- pedometer to map out my runs.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Its a great site and really helps with training.

Have you ever ran with a heart rate monitor? I love mine. It really helps me push myself on bad days and keep myself at a healthy rate on the days where I feel i could run forever. I prefer the ones with a separate chest strap for the monitor. Polar makes a lot and they are a good brand. Personally I use a Timex Iron Man with HRM. You can change the battery on the chest strap when it runs out and I got it on sale for about $40.00 (super holiday sale).

Once again, good job on the 5k and good luck with the 10k...pretty soon you will be asking about a half marathon.
  • MamaNatasha
    MamaNatasha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! Much appreciated!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you just want a watch, get a Timex Ironman. Cheap and not bad. For a little more, I prefer the Casio G-Shock series. But if you are serious about tracking time/distance and even heart rate, I highly recommend the Garmin 305. I love it. I'm never looking back!
  • DonPendergraft
    Options
    The Garmin Forerunner 305 is mo bedda and is only $128 on Amazon. ;)
    Good job on the 5k!

If you wanted the watch to keep track of you mileage you would need a watch with GPS like any of the Garmins. I have my eye on the forerunner 110, but it comes with a $250 price tag. I haven't saved up enough so I have been using gmaps- pedometer to map out my runs.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Its a great site and really helps with training.

Have you ever ran with a heart rate monitor? I love mine. It really helps me push myself on bad days and keep myself at a healthy rate on the days where I feel i could run forever. I prefer the ones with a separate chest strap for the monitor. Polar makes a lot and they are a good brand. Personally I use a Timex Iron Man with HRM. You can change the battery on the chest strap when it runs out and I got it on sale for about $40.00 (super holiday sale).

Once again, good job on the 5k and good luck with the 10k...pretty soon you will be asking about a half marathon.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 405CX and I absolutely love it!! I got it at Costco (in Canada).
  • DonPendergraft
    Options
    That's a nice one. The only ding is battery life. My 305 will go 8 hours, so it would need a re-charge on the fly during an ultra. The 310XT will go 20 hours and is completely waterproof. But it's like $400!
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 405CX and I absolutely love it!! I got it at Costco (in Canada).