Sparking water question!

Options
It might sound a bit daft, but im a sparkling water binger, i dont drink any non sparkling water at all. (my 8 glasses are based on it)
is this bad?? i never really thought about it -.-' i just love my bubbles!

hope anyone has an awnser!

xx

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I like it too - check to see if there is any sodium in the version you are drinking.
    I seem to recall that there is some issue with carbonation and teeth and bones, but I might be making that up.... Will try and find the article I read, or maybe someone else has it.
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    13.8 mg sodium
    2.9 mg magnesium
    28.0 mg calcium
    33.0 mg chloride
    40.8 mg sulphate
    <0.5 mg nitrate
    per 1.5 liter

hmmm after reading that, doesnt sound too nice 0_o
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist does not allow me to count anything with carbonation as water. Any of the free enhanced waters are ok like Vitamin Water Zero, Lifewater Zero, Powerade Zero, etc.....

Good Luck!
  • mizzsolero
    Options
    My nutritionist does not allow me to count anything with carbonation as water. Any of the free enhanced waters are ok like Vitamin Water Zero, Lifewater Zero, Powerade Zero, etc.....

Good Luck!

what are free enhanced waters? i need something with bubbles or ill go nuts :O
  • NewLeafEats
    NewLeafEats Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That depends on the sodium and whether your sparkling water has phosphoric acid, which is the chemical that pulls the calcium out of bones. I really don't see much plain sparkling water that has phosphoric acid, but I bet they're probably out there.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, that's all I drink too. Like the other person said some of the brands have sodium so keep that in mind. Carbonated water has no harmful effects on teeth and bones. The soda stream is a good idea if you drink a lot of carbonated water since it's cheaper and you reduce the use of bottles and cans.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-carbonation-bad-for-you.aspx

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/seltzer.aspx
  • mrscouchpotato
    Options
    That's all my daughter will drink. I asked her doctor about it. Hers has no calories or sodium but does have artificial sweeteners. She doesn't have any problem with the artificial sweeteners. He said sparkling water is better than no water at all. He adviced me to let her drink it if it means her drinking water or soda. :smile:
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I've heard people suggest getting a SodaStream if you love bubbles. You can make your own soda and choose what goes into it. I'd also look into more "natural" brands which may not have as much sodium and minerals... ?
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding carbonated drinks (as much as I can anyway) as they have links to osteoporosis and we already have that in the family, so I don't need more help edging towards brittle bones!

Used to drink shed loads of the stuff though, so the damage has probably been done now. I'd try non-carbonated drinks for at least half of your daily intake :)
  • mrscouchpotato
    Options
    That's all my daughter will drink. I asked her doctor about it. Hers has no calories or sodium but does have artificial sweeteners. She doesn't have any problem with the artificial sweeteners. He said sparkling water is better than no water at all. He adviced me to let her drink it if it means her drinking water or soda. :smile:

Drinking water instead of soda. Ooops!
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    the only thing i don't like about the sparkling water that i drink is the aspartame. I ususally drink about 3-5 glasses of regular water at the gym, and then i do the rest flavored, not sparkling. the only time i go for sparkling is when i feel like i want something that is like soda with the bubbles or to mix with my vodka! no extra calories than necessary! score!
  • minyME
    minyME Posts: 10
    Options
    There are competing views on carbonation and calcium,but this article says that it is not harmful. My experience with these type of things is: Moderation. too much of a good thing can be bad..even if they can't prove it (right now). http://www.ehow.com/about_5365577_harmful-effects-carbonated-water.html
  • mizzsolero
    Options
    hmm my parents have a sodastream, and never use it :o i mght just bump that one! ive tried sparkly water (and wine! but thats a diffrentstory!) from the sodastream and i dont taste a diffrence :)
    thank you all for your kind reply!
    the water im drinkin the now does have sodium in it, have 3 bottles left, after that will definitaly switch!! xx