Machine Workouts

Options
Just curious if there are any machine equivalents to the lifts in Stronglifts? Might have access soon to a gym but it only has machines, no free weights.
Squat
OH Press
Deadlift
Bench Press
Barbell Row

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well, as my cheapest and closest option is a Planet Fitness.

Recommendations for modifying decent free weight programs to work with weight machines would be great! I'm focusing on building up my running and dropping weight now, but I want something extra to maintain muscle and strength until I get to a healthier weight range.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes and no...you can mimic most of those movements with machines (except for deadlifts), but you won't get the full benefit that you would with free weights.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Squat - Leg press machine
    OH Press - shoulder press
    Deadlift - you can simulate the deadlift movement on some seated row machines and cable machines, if you understand the movement
    Bench Press - chest press
    Barbell Row - seated row machine

If you're unsure about a machine, upload a picture or video of it.

I agree that you'll be missing a lot without freeweights. :+1:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this as well, as my cheapest and closest option is a Planet Fitness.
    Recommendations for modifying decent free weight programs to work with weight machines would be great!

You have a lot more options at PF. Try NROL4W, or use the routine in my profile. :+1:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Does your PF have dumbbells? You'll almost certainly be lacking barbells and a squat rack, but the few PFs I've been in all have dumbbells. I'd find a different beginner program, honestly...there's no reason to try to do Stronglifts if you don't have the equipment. Maybe one of the New Rules programs would work?
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Squat - Leg press machine
    OH Press - shoulder press
    Deadlift - you can simulate the deadlift movement on some seated row machines and cable machines, if you understand the movement
    Bench Press - chest press
    Barbell Row - seated row machine

If you're unsure about a machine, upload a picture or video of it.

I agree that you'll be missing a lot without freeweights. :+1:

Thank you for the recommendations.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yes and no...you can mimic most of those movements with machines (except for deadlifts), but you won't get the full benefit that you would with free weights.

I can adjust the Bench press machinemachine handles down, stand on the bench and dead lift. Not quite as effective I guess but pretty similar I think. There is a good dumbbell routine on here that I use.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I mean.. not really. It isolates the muscle so it's not working the same amount of muscles as free weights or in the same way.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have tried and tried, there just isn't a machine as good as squats (stuck with a fitness center for right now). If the leg press machine has a big platform you can move your feet around which helps target different areas, but I have never found anything as thorough as squats. I have learned to do variations of squats and lunges with dumbbells, having more luck with that lately, if you have access to them.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Progressive loading can be applied to almost any loaded movement, so yes, while you can find inferior machine proxies to SBD and OHP, eventually that weight stack on the machine will reach its apex. At that point you can alter the variables, like time under tension, or rep/set count. However, for strength development the barbell and plates can't be match.

Oh and for one moment, don't fool yourself into believing that the four plates on the leg press is equivalent to four plates squatted with a barbell.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Progressive loading can be applied to almost any loaded movement, so yes, while you can find inferior machine proxies to SBD and OHP, eventually that weight stack on the machine will reach its apex. At that point you can alter the variables, like time under tension, or rep/set count. However, for strength development the barbell and plates can't be match.

Oh and for one moment, don't fool yourself into believing that the four plates on the leg press is equivalent to four plates squatted with a barbell.

I agree with all the above, but on a practical basis, don't think most people will outgrow the weight stack on a machine.
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I agree with all the above, but on a practical basis, don't think most people will outgrow the weight stack on a machine.

You'd be surprised.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

You'd be surprised.

With all due respect, I've been going to a variety of public gyms for several decades. Seldom see anyone using the whole stack or loading a plate loaded machine to capacity.
    Options

You'd be surprised.

With all due respect, I've been going to a variety of public gyms for several decades. Seldom see anyone using the whole stack or loading a plate loaded machine to capacity.

I bow to your superior experience, and won't mention my decades of experience.