Is 145lbs too thin?

Options
So I'm currently on a journey to lose weight and I'm at 192 or so.. And I'm 5'7" and I wanna get down to 145 but people are telling me that's too small... What do you think?

Replies

• themakeupbelle
    themakeupbelle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @astrocosmiczoom but you looked great
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's well within the "healthy" weight on most charts. I think you continue on your journey and you can reassess when you get close if you think you might look too thin.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Nope! I'm 5'6 and 140 pounds, which is about the same BMI you're aiming for. I've been as low as 120 pounds and people started to say I looked unhealthy. I think I look best around 130 pounds. For you, 145 is a healthy BMI, but your goal weight should depend on personal preference.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and felt my best at 135 lbs. But this included years of weightlifting, so I had way more muscle than I did when I was 120 lbs. When I got up to 145, I started to feel a bit flabby, but that's because my body fat % had increased. So it really depends on the amount of muscle, I think. If you are 145 and are at that weight because a good amount of it is muscle, I think you can look great.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8" and felt my best at 135 lbs. But this included years of weightlifting, so I had way more muscle than I did when I was 120 lbs. When I got up to 145, I started to feel a bit flabby, but that's because my body fat % had increased. So it really depends on the amount of muscle, I think. If you are 145 and are at that weight because a good amount of it is muscle, I think you can look great.

Yes! I agree. Above I was 132, but I had little muscle. Now, I'm more muscular, so I don't think I would feel comfortable at that low a weight.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Too many variables to answer that. Are you smaller or larger frame? Naturally muscular or not? On some women at that height is will be thin but others will still be slightly overweight.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It depends on your muscle to fat ratio. I'm 5'7 and 145lbs now and so little muscle and so much fat that I look overweight. (I'm so not posting a pic :) ). I'm aiming at 130lbs and I've also started lifting a bit. My initial weight was 165lbs this February.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Hopefully not...that's my goal weight. I'm 5'6" and about 13 pounds away...still not looking too thin by any means. I think how thin you will look depends on how you carry your weight. Mine's all in my abs...yay!
  • kittyy250
    kittyy250 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No I'm 5'6" 138lbs and I feel fat!!!
    But everyone's frame and structure is different.
    I think 145 is a very reasonable goal
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I'm currently on a journey to lose weight and I'm at 192 or so.. And I'm 5'7" and I wanna get down to 145 but people are telling me that's too small... What do you think?

It's up to you, not 'people'.

You can always stop before you get to 145 if you get to a weight you're happy with.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hopefully not...that's my goal weight. I'm 5'6" and about 13 pounds away...still not looking too thin by any means. I think how thin you will look depends on how you carry your weight. Mine's all in my abs...yay!

This is true. I tend to carry weight forgivingly. But at a certain point it does start showing. So now I'm trying to work on looking good in a bathing suit which is a whole different standard. People in general aren't too good discriminating between a few pounds up or down. But 5-10 pounds can be a lot when one is close to goal. It can mean a whole dress or pants size.

• Yourprivateislandxx
    Options
    I'm 5'9 138lbs and miss being 125-130... I think it really depends on the person! I am very small framed so 138+ on me makes me look chubby. Astrocomiczoom you're hot as hell!! Wish I could look like that at that weight! You look more like 115
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you look and feel. Im around that height and just want to hit 140 at the moment.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 140-145. It's not too thin on me (I could go as low as 130 before I would even worry about it). I'm a US size 8. That said, a lot of it depends on your build. As you get closer you will be able to decide where to stop.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm 5-7" and my goal is 135. Currently 155. Hoping to get there by the end of the year.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,903 Member
    Options

What’s your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

145 is too small only if you have a very large frame and a lot of muscle, which is not common.

Are people objecting to 145 specifically or the thought of you losing almost 50 pounds? Their objection may be due to having a hard time seeing you needing to lose 50 pounds.

Lose 40 pounds and reevaluate.
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and currently 139 pounds. I am definitely not skinny. I would describe myself as curvy. I am still trying to lose 5-10 pounds but I accept that at this stage weight loss is very slow.

Body composition varies wildly as does personal preference. Don't worry too much about the number on the scale or about what other people say you should weigh. Just work on getting to a weight at which you feel happy and healthy.