Uh...bowel...issues during exercise

Options
smelliefeet
smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Sorry if this is graphic, but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. It's not something I need to go to a doctor for (I've worked in the medical field for 7 years, and I've never been diagnosed with any medical problem or any medical issues)

Sometimes when I really push myself during workouts I feel really good & energetic, and sometimes I feel very lethargic and like my body is working against me. Today was one of those days. I continue to try to push my body to exercise, even though I feel like my legs are led weights, and then it ALWAYS happens, in the middle of my work out (usually 20 minutes in) I have INTENSE stomach pains and I have to run to the bathroom, and 15 minutes later (on the... ehm...toilet) I feel exhausted like I just ran a marathon.

What gives?! I drink the same amount of water every day, I only have 1 cup of coffee per day, I work out around the same time, and I've been doing similar exercise for the past several weeks (I am alternating P90X workouts - i'm not doing them as the routine states I'm alternating them with 40-minute cardio like running or elliptical some days and then purely weight lifting other days)

Usually the cramps come on when I'm doing intense cardio, like on my 40-minute runs when I am sprinting.

It happened again today, and now I definitely can't finish my workout. I feel dizzy/lightheaded and I'm just drinking water and I'm going to lay down for the rest of the day.

Let me add - I am TOTALLY regular! I go #2 the same time each morning and a very good consistency... haha. And I usually go 1-2 times a day, totally normal. That's why these exercise emergencies are alarming to me.

My diary is open if anyone wants to take a peek. I weigh my food and try to track as religiously as possible!

Thanks in advance for any insight <3

Replies

• Rach0792
    Rach0792 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds dumb of me but Do you usually go to the toilet before workouts too? If not then have you tried waiting to do your exercise after you have been to the toilet that day?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    There were a couple of things I had to work on when I first started my journey to fitness. First was my fiber intake. I wasn't getting half of what I needed. Second was my water intake, I wasn't getting a 3rd of what I needed. Once I fixed those two things it made me very regular. As in every morning when I get up I drink a cup of coffee and then a pre-workout drink and have no issues going to the bathroom before my workout. It took a couple months, and if I slack off on water intake or fiber intake at all it can screw up my rhythm. Too much sodium can also do it because you'll need 2x the water that day to compensate or your body just absorbs it trying to flush out the sodium. Anyway, just a thought. I dunno about being lethargic unless it's just a symptom of constipation for you, but you may want to think about coffee or a pre-workout if it helps as well. Get a gallon container of water and make damn sure you drink it each day and start tracking fiber with MFP, I don't track sugar so that fiber shows up at the bottom of my diary and I can keep an eye on it.
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    Let me add - I am TOTALLY regular! I go #2 the same time each morning and a very good consistency... haha. And I usually go 1-2 times a day, totally normal. That's why these exercise emergencies are alarming to me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    1. Your fiber intake is low. I see no (as far as I know) source of insoluble fiber in the most recent 3 days. You had constipation, it's even possible with daily regularity. But also you had a bowel mass that was moving slowly through your gut. Something about your physical activity stimulated your bowels to move.
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    1. Your fiber intake is low. I see no (as far as I know) source of insoluble fiber in the most recent 3 days. You had constipation, it's even possible with daily regularity. But also you had a bowel mass that was moving slowly through your gut. Something about your physical activity stimulated your bowels to move.

I am going to have to flatly disagree. I eat A LOT of fruits and veggies daily. Like, that's the basis of my entire diet. If I eat an egg or some yogurt or tunafish, there's always a fruit / several veggies I eat alongside it. I eat celery almost every day, even if I may not log it (tryin' my best).

I don't know that I agree about the constipation... I mean, I wish I could have taken a picture of the TWO bowel movements I had before exercising today... and the two yesterday. I mean, they were... substantial. I am lactose intolerant and the last time I drank milk I got constipated and it was a similar pain in the stomach. I have not had milk in a long time. I wonder if I have some other food intolerance and that might be what is bringing on these bouts?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Could it be an electrolyte issue/dehydration? muscle weakness and cramping and diarrhea are symptoms of it.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid runner and I have this problem sometimes. For me, it's eating before the workout. How soon do you exercise after eating? Some people are more sensitive than others. I have to wait almost two hours after eating anything at all.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've had similar problems when eating too many fruits, veggies and fiber.
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    1. My first inclination was dehydration, but I drink lots of water on a regular basis and my pee is clear!
    2. I prefer eating on an empty stomach but if I have to wait until the afternoon to run, I also wait at least two hours to run after I eat.
    3. THIS is actually accurate sounding. Like I said, the majority of what I eat are fruits and veggies, but I don't plan on changing that any time soon. I feel my solution may be just deal with it when it happens and try not to let it set me back.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Maybe consult your doctor?
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    about 2 weeks ago I nearly went code brown on a run. I made it in the house walking on tiptoe with my cheeks clenched.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I sometimes fart when I run...
  • smelliefeet
    Options
    It's really comforting to know that this happens to lots of people. It sounds like it's not actually a problem - it's just something that happens sometimes and it's largely unavoidable. Bodies are mysterious things!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I think the key is your statement "when I really push myself"... Stop pushing yourself quite so hard...

This article is from Runner's World, but it's pertinent to what you are experiencing as well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/skip-the-pit-stops
  • samanthak1213
    samanthak1213 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner and after my last race 2 years ago I developed bad cramps and couldn't get off the floor and couldn't stop going to the bathroom. I didn't exercise for a week after and then as soon as I went to the gym bam! I had to run to the bathroom. It only was when I ran. Even it was 5 minutes. I stopped running and switched to other forms of cardio and eventually it started happening anytime I got my heart rate to a certain point. I was exhausted all the time and got up to going to the bathroom 30 times a day and went from 120 to 98lbs which seemed to be almost overnight. I went to the doctor and they did blood tests and couldn't find anything for 8 months. Finally I had a colonoscopy and they told me I developed microscopic colitis which was exercise induced. I learned how to manage it today but sometimes jump roping or something similar still irritates me. If I go running I have to take an anti diherea pill! Haha. Hope this helps
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is very common in runners, I've had it myself take a look at this link. http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/why-do-i-have-to-poop-when-i-run_70934
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Put it this way, don't squat if you need to go for a number two either, very nearly had a bad experience after having severe cramps. I had been constipated for about 4 days. Your issue really sounds quite normal tbh, my sister always says she needs the toilet when she runs - she does 10k
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. Doesn't matter what I do, about 5-10 mins into my walk/run I often end up feeling that horrible cramping and need to rush home for a bathroom. And even worse, sometimes it's just gas! :( Full disclosure, I do have IBS, so that's part of it. The other part can be what I've eaten recently. The worst experience I had was a couple hours after eating a LOT of steamed broccoli. I was laid up in bed afterwards for the rest of the evening with stomach cramps and gas. :/ I'm sure you wanted to know all about that though hahaha. :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I sometimes fart when I run...

Does it sound like a machine gun? :lol: