Where are my fellow teachers?

Options
I need some other teachers to help motivate me. I know you're supposed to eat every 3 hours, but as teachers we don't get breaks every 3 hours. Also, how do yall do your water intake?

I need to friend some other teachers for motivation and support. People who go through the same daily struggles that I do as a teacher.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You don't need to eat every three hours. The idea that you do to keep your metabolism going is a myth. So don't stress yourself over that because meal timing doesn't matter as long as you're in a deficit. Otherwise I just keep a water bottle with me and fill when I can.

I'm an elementary art teacher, and typically went on walks during lunch. So eating was sporadic. Still managed to lose 20lbs this past school year.
  • kad254
    kad254 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher! I carry a water bottle with me everywhere and buy bulk 100 calorie almond packs for me and the kids. I definitely struggle with stress eating because of teaching though!
    That's great that you fit in exercise during the work day! And that you lost weight last year, congratulations!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was. Carry and drink your water. The small snack bags are great. They limit your intake.

My go to lunch was a glass container with Greek yogurt. Top with frozen mixed berries. Walmart at least in Canada has a great value brand. They are tasty. I could leave this out of the fridge. Perfect to eat at lunch because the berries thawed a bit and kept the yogurt fresh. I always ate steel cut oats and raisins for breakfast, often cold. My fav. I usually didn't need my snack packs but they were there for an emergency.

If I got hangry I would have a drink of water. That usually worked.

Apples worked great either on the way home or when I first got home, before I lost my willpower and raided the snack drawer. Too a while to chew!
  • bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    Apples worked great either on the way home or when I first got home, before I lost my willpower and raided the snack drawer. Too a while to chew!

This is what I need to do! I'm always starving when I get home, no matter what time it is. The hardest part is finding a snack under 100 cals that will keep me until dinner, which is usually around 6-6:30.

The hardest part for me is drinking enough water during the day. I try not to drink too much during the day, cause then I'll have to go pee!
  • marniepape
    marniepape Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stay out of the teachers lounge! Ha ha, but really there are days when I don't even go in there because of all of the goodies.

Do you allow your students a snack break (don't know if you're in elementary)? If so, you could always eat an apple or banana or something. I always try to keep snacks for after school like popcorn or almonds.
  • velostervixen
    velostervixen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just bought a mini fridge to keep healthy snacks, lunch, and cold water. I'm viewing the return to schedule as a help and trying not to let the stress be a hindrance.
  • amcneil25
    amcneil25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know it can be really hard to be at work and try to eat healthy. Mostly in the staff room when there's always treats/sign up for Friday goodies. In my experience, It's the mindset. I always sit in the staff room, I try not to even look at the unhealthy snacks and I make sure I've brought enough lunch so I'm not starving and tempted by my hunger. Remember to think of why you started in times like these. Also, for me it got easier with time (I know everyone says that...but it's true!) I used to eat sweets a lot! I have a huge sweet tooth and now that I've gone so long without- it's become much easier. Lost 45 lbs and don't plan to loose any more! I do go to the gym a lot but for me this is "my" time. I go straight from work (if I go home I usually won't leave) put my time in and it's a huge stress reliever and I feel awesome! Again it's really hard to start but after 1 month its second nature and it gets easier. I also drink 3 bottles of water at school (waiting for breaks to pee is awful) and make sure to get 2-3 in while at home!