Breastfeeding burns calories? True?

Options

Replies

• KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Kellymom says a nursing mother may restrict calories to between 1500-1800calories. The website has a lot of very good info on nursing. I would recommend it. I have found I have issues w supply if I am below 1500 more than two days in a row and when I exercise I need to stay between 17-1800 or I get dips there too. FWIW, I am currently nursing baby's 3 and 4.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I found while nursing if I went below 2000 calories a day my supply tanked. Up until my son started solids I could eat 2500 calories a day and lose over 1 lb/week as long as I was active. (My issue is that I sometimes ate more than that and wasn't active lol.)
  • kflanrye
    kflanrye Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Unless you made a typo with your weight or height, you are already on the low end of the healthy BMI (19) do you really need to be worried about weight loss right now? If you want to continue to breast feed you need to ensure you are consuming sufficient calories and nutrition to sustain not only yourself but breastfeeding as well.

Totally agree here! When I had my son, I didn't even need to track cuz I couldn't eat enough. I remember days where I had to carry snacks for myself because my blood sugar would drop so fast during and after feeding. Silly as it sounds, often I was eating while breastfeeding. I lost an amazing amount of weight without trying by around 6mo-8mo way below pre-birth weight. It's when they start eating solids as well that you really should start watching because the weight can come on fast.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Yes, breastfeeding "burns" calories. While I had issues with both, I was able to partially breastfeed my first son. My second son would not breastfeed. It has been much much harder to lose weight after the second pregnancy. I am back to calorie counting because it's the only thing that has ever worked for me.
    At 5'9, if you want breastfeeding to go well, you should certainly be eating in the 2000 calorie range not the 1500 calorie range. After all, eating 2000 calories but "losing" 500 of them in the breast milk is the equivalent of eating 1500 calories if you weren't breast feeding.
    Also, I can say from experience that post-C-section, you retain a pile of water for a few weeks of recovery. Do NOT freak out about your weight while recovering. Don't even stand on a scale until you're fully recovered. You will pee out 5-10 pounds a couple of weeks after the birth, so why bother yourself with the scale before that happens?
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Be careful to eat enough so you don't affect your milk supply. I breastfed both my babies for just over a year each and didn't have any weightloss naturally until closer to a year with my second one :neutral: I wasn't trying to diet then, it just happened because I had moved into a new house and was busy with the kiddos.
  • aniamanning
    aniamanning Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, breastfeeding "burns" calories. While I had issues with both, I was able to partially breastfeed my first son. My second son would not breastfeed. It has been much much harder to lose weight after the second pregnancy. I am back to calorie counting because it's the only thing that has ever worked for me.
    At 5'9, if you want breastfeeding to go well, you should certainly be eating in the 2000 calorie range not the 1500 calorie range. After all, eating 2000 calories but "losing" 500 of them in the breast milk is the equivalent of eating 1500 calories if you weren't breast feeding.
    Also, I can say from experience that post-C-section, you retain a pile of water for a few weeks of recovery. Do NOT freak out about your weight while recovering. Don't even stand on a scale until you're fully recovered. You will pee out 5-10 pounds a couple of weeks after the birth, so why bother yourself with the scale before that happens?

My son is 2 weeks old so I may still have water retention or would u say It should be gone by now?
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You're still retaining water for like 6 weeks after birth. You need to not worry about weight loss for a while. But yes, exclusive breastfeeding burns about 500 calories a day. I would say that means you should make sure you eat enough that you can make enough milk. At 2 weeks postpartum, your supply isn't established yet.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

My son is 2 weeks old so I may still have water retention or would u say It should be gone by now?

After my fourth child I dropped 30 lbs in six weeks (13 at delivery, the rest over the six week recovery period). Yes, you are likely still retaining water. Plus it takes a while for your blood volume to go back to normal and your uterus to shrink back down to size (appx six weeks). All of that increases your weight. I always looked at my six week check up weigh in as my starting weight for post baby weight loss because of this. Being on the low end for your height, you really shouldn't be trying to lose at this point, especially while breastfeeding. At two weeks your supply is not yet established. Depending on your breastfeeding goals, you really need to focus on maintaining supply, which means eating enough to support that (maintenance plus appx 500 extra cal per day).
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Ps does weight matter? Like 150lb vs 130 lb women who nurse both produce 500 calories of milk?

So are you currently 150 with a goal of 130, or are you 130 now? 130 is already on the low end for your height. And as a new nursing mom, you don't want your BMI to drop so low that your body stops producing milk. Plus, you need proper nutrition to heal in these first several weeks. I'd say you need to talk to your doctor about your diet plans ASAP to make sure you're on the right track health-wise. :)

I'm 130 now, and I just want my son and I to be healthy

If you want both you and your son to be healthy then stop cutting your calories to an absurdly low amount that can affect the milk supply that sustains him. You're already 130 pounds right now so weight loss shouldn't be your focus. Your son and recuperating should be the only two things you're focused on right now. Eat at maintenance and after your six weeks are up, add in some resistance training a few days per week.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

You may well still have water retention. Your body is holding onto water to help itself heal from the surgery.
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    At only 1500 calories/day, you risk losing your milk supply (as your body requires 500+ calories just for the milk production)... I was told nursing moms should consume at minimum 1800 and that 2000 was safer bet. Do you have access to a nutritionist?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused right now, so let me make sure I have this right. You are 5ft9in, and 130 lbs. And you just had a baby 2 weeks go, so you are still recovering from that. And you are breastfeeding.

If I have these correct, you should not be too worried about weight loss right now. You are still healing and establishing a milk supply. 1500 is probably too low; you could/should probably be higher than that.

It isn't about you now. Do what you need to do for the baby right now. Weight wise, you are fine. If you feel puffy or whatever, by God woman, you just had a damn baby. Take care of yourself.

I actually recommend you see a doctor, one who knows about postpartum issues and breastfeeding.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    If your stats are correct your optimum weight NOT taking into consideration the fact that your weight will naturally reduce over the next few weeks... is to GAIN 3lbs and get to 133lbs.

Cutting calories has you heading straight towards being unable to nurse your baby.
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    You have plenty of time to lose the baby weight. Putting yourself into a rush is only going to impact your health and therefore the health of your baby. Post-partum is a physically taxing experience just as much as pregnancy was in the first place. Do yourself a favor and relax.

It may seem like a win to be able to get into your pre-pregnancy jeans a month after birth but I gotta tell ya, now that my kids are older, no one cares. People care that you are healthy. Your kids depend on you to be healthy. Don't force an unhealthy state because you're in too much of a hurry. The well worn platitude of 9 months to put it on, so it'll take a while to take it off, while annoying, has some truth to it.

• Rlha2017
    Rlha2017 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love breastfeeding, regardless of calories