Does house work count??

Options
I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids. All day long I'm running around the house cleaning up behind them, doing laundry, washing dishes etc. Does all that count as exercise?

Replies

• finallyproud
    finallyproud Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids. All day long I'm running around the house cleaning up behind them, doing laundry, washing dishes etc. Does all that count as exercise?
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    Well you'd think so, but when you enter your profile you choose your activity level so your daily stuff is already accounted for. Does that make sense?
  • finallyproud
    Options
    Yes that does make sense. Especially now that I have more energy and find myself doing twice as much.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    YES IT DOES COUNT BECAUSE WHEN U ENTER UR EXCERCISE IN AS CLEANING U CAN CHOO LIGHT MODERATE OR HEAVY VIGOROUS AND EITHER WAY UR BURNING CALORIES SO IT DOES COUNT EVERY LITTLE CALORIE U BUR NCOUNTS
  • finallyproud
    Options
    Very cool! :happy: Thank you...I had no clue what to put all that under. You just helped me figure it out!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I count things that are above and beyond my normal workload. So I wouldn't count the regular daily dusting, vaccuming etc. However when I do a big job and move the furniture, wash windows etc. then I count it.
  • sweetcorruption
    Options
    i would only count it if you break a sweat. But that's just my view.
  • ONAMISSION
    Options
    when you spend all day everyday cleaning up after people, i think that is definitly calories earned and burned. i count mine! but then again i have not lost much weight yet!
  • stormysmom
    Options
    Sure it does. I know I will get a lot of cardio this weekend, were moving ugggggggg
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't count it unless I'm sweating.

The way I look at it - I was cleaning house "before" and gaining lots of weight. Just like I was grocery shopping "before" (and a lot of people try to count grocery shopping as exercise).

I only count activities I do INTENTIONALLY for exercise.

Be honest with yourself and the pounds will drop off!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If it is part of your everyday routine, then no I wouldn't count it as exercise because you should just choose your activity level as active or moderately active when you set up your personal info and all that.

For example, I spend 8 hours a day sitting at a desk, so my everyday activity level is low. So if I do a decent amount of housework (that takes like an hour or more and I break a sweat) then I would count that as exercise. Just remember, you can cheat and count it as exercise, but in the end that won't do you any good if your basically eating twice the amount of calories from counting it as exercise and that being your daily activity.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Housework uses your aerobic energy system. If the house work you are doing meets your targeted heart rate and duration then it counts. If it doesnt then do your workout in addition to your house work or you are robbing yourself of progress.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Housework uses your aerobic energy system. If the house work you are doing meets your targeted heart rate and duration then it counts. If it doesnt then do your workout in addition to your house work or you are robbing yourself of progress.

I feel like I am on family feud!

Wanna yell...

GREAT ANSWER................GREAT ANSWER!!
  • metalpalace
    Options

I feel like I am on family feud!

Wanna yell...

GREAT ANSWER................GREAT ANSWER!!

LoL and you get a kiss on the lips from richard drayfus (sp?)