Hypothyroid Weight Loss Support?

Options
Hi guys - I'm back on the wagon here at MFP, after numerous failures in the past (getting frustrated over no progress after weeks of obsessively calorie counting and weighing food).

I'm female, 5'9 and currently at a high of 98kg/216lb.

I was recently diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis which has made me hypothyroid. I also have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type 3, and the two combine to cause me a fair bit of tiredness and pain. As I work between 5-7 days a week I find I'm left with very little energy to do physical activity, never mind join a gym and start a workout plan! But it seems that calorie restriction alone is not terribly effective for me. My endocrinologist told me I was not likely to be able to lose any weight with my current thyroid condition.

Anyone else with thyroid issues who can offer some more positive motivation or support? Any tips for fitting in exercise with a job/family/social life and heavy fatigue? Any tips on making diet changes that really make an impact? Just knowing that there are others fighting the same fight would be an inspiration. Thank you. <3

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I have autoimmune hypothyroid disease. It may be a factor that makes it a bit harder to lose weight, however between taking my medication, making "to do" lists, logging what I eat, and working out the little tricks that work for me (like eating more protein than I thought I needed), I've been maintaining a healthy and well proportioned body mass for decades.
  • janifonfa
    janifonfa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have autoimmune hypothyroidism, and I too, have recently been instructed that I need to focus strongly on increasing my protein and really focus on 6 small meals a day. Along with very strenuous (mentally) full time work, I am a graduate student, I am an older adult- and I work out at least 4 days a week. I learned that we need to put our needs and our health as a top priority to be the best we can for our family, friends, and career. It took me almost 50 years to fully understand this. Don't let it take that long for you.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid caused by autoimmune. As long as I take my medication I'm fine I lose weight easily. I take namebrand Synthroid.
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism for years. Totally understand the lethargy/lack of energy. If you can push hard enough to overcome the initial struggles of starting an exercise routine (I recommend group fitness, it's fun and planned already) especially if you can build more muscle... As your metabolism increases in 2 ways the calorie burn from the workouts, and the after-burn of building muscle so your basal rate increases. It's worth investing into because in my experience, the more energy I can put out the more energized for the rest of my life it becomes. Stay positive and believe in yourself :)
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    On the nutrition side, diets higher in protein and fiber help a lot. Here's an article about fiber: http://www.southdenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/fantasticfiber.pdf
  • Justme_1
    Justme_1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    On the nutrition side, diets higher in protein and fiber help a lot. Here's an article about fiber: http://www.southdenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/fantasticfiber.pdf

Thanks for the article