Incapable of moderating sweets

Options

Replies

• StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i buy energy bars for my cycle rides, but i have to keep them next door in sons house with strict instructions that i am only allowed when out on bike !!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I sympathise. There are a lot of people around who are incapable of moderating. Sometimes they learn, sometimes they stop trying, and sometimes they just keep muddling on.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

The mindset is important. "Mindful" eating and being aware and cognizant to plan in treats is very key to keeping weight off.

I agree with this. The more I plan, including treats, the better I am able to manage my weight.
  • RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well you stopped sweets for 8 months, so it's not really a shock that it's hard to moderate now that you've reintroduced them... that's why banning a food type is never really a good idea.

What I'd do in this case is not keep it in the house, but if you really crave something, make room for it and go buy ONE serving.

I was like this before I dropped the sugar as well. I've never been able to moderate because even if I eat just a little I get crazy cravings and it throws off my blood sugar and makes me more hungry than I would have been otherwise. If I didn't eat sugar in the moment I would overeat other foods for the rest of the day to compensate. This is the first time I have found controlling my food intake easy and that is because I had to take sugar out of the equation.

I dropped sugar for 8 months due to it being a trigger for post partum panic disorder(I.e. It causes me to have panic attacks out of the blue). I actually don't plan on reintroducing it in the near future because I feel much better without it. Plus, I wouldn't really consider it a food group as it has no nutritional value and serves no purpose. I can get my sweet fix from fruit and that causes me no problems with my mental health which is doing awesome at the moment.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Those who do best with moderation tend to be the "forbidden fruit" type of people - tell them not to eat something, they want it all the more and pine away for it, increasing the chances that if they do indulge, they end up over consuming it.

Um.....no ;)

From what I've read here, learned from others in real life who choose moderation, and from what I've experienced, those who choose moderation tend to not demonize food (via "forbidden fruit" as you call it. :)) and choose to eat all things in moderation. There is no food type deprivation, hence overindulgence of calories is kept to a minimum.
  • lindseycallihan
    lindseycallihan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sugar cravings can often be a sign of a need for more protein. Catch 22 when you're craving the sweetness of a protein bar? Yes... But, my recommendation would be to ditch the protein bar all together and seek out more natural sources of protein. Replacing the highly processed sweet bar with more natural sources (slices of meat, eggs, nuts, seeds, cheese etc...) may help give your body the protein it needs to moderate the sugar craving without stimulating the craving with, you guessed it, sugar. You can compliment the natural protein with fiber rich carbs such as berries and fruit (though dried fruit may stimulate your cravings more). For example: apple with peanut butter, a few nuts and fresh berries, slice of cheese and some pear. Giving your body whole foods in place of processed sugary ones helps our brain and body get what it needs. Also make sure you have plenty of protein at each meal and snack... Good luck! (Source: Registered Dietitian)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I decided to teach myself moderation, because life without beer, wine, and ice cream seemed sad. It took a lot of time, patience, awareness that I would have some challenges, and very conscious decisions on what to bring into my house, how much, and how often. It was a deliberate process of learning.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    In reading the numerous threads that pop up constantly on this very topic (abstaining vs moderating) it seems there are two groups of people. Those who do best with moderation tend to be the "forbidden fruit" type of people - tell them not to eat something, they want it all the more and pine away for it, increasing the chances that if they do indulge, they end up over consuming it. So, yes they are better off working in a moderate portion regularly. Then there are those who do better abstaining - these are the people for whom that moderate portion seems a paltry tastebud tease. The small portion they can work in only serves to make them wish they could have more and they pine away for it because they can't have more than that small amount. They are better off not indulging at all (or very, very rarely) because regularly having small amounts leads to feelings of deprivation making them more likely to overindulge, defeating the purpose of moderation in the first place.

Neither is the "correct" or "superior" method. You have to do what works best for you. Sometimes it's moderation, sometimes it's abstaining, sometimes it's a hybrid of the two. There is no right or wrong here.

I'm definitely in the bolded group. If i can only have a 'serving' of ice cream or cereal or chocolate, I'd rather not bother at all! It's annoyingly small and non satisfying.

• battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate too much to ever cut it out. Sometimes exercising portion control is hard - though I tend to think of portion control as what will fit into my calories rather than the label serving size. 25g chocolate? No. Make it 70g. - but I would find it harder to avoid it completely.

That said, I cannot have large sharing size bags of potato chips/crisps in the house. Because I will eat them all. I ALMOST bought a big bag of cheese puffs because I kept telling myself I'd portion them out into reasonable serving sizes but then I got real with myself and acknowledged that no, I'd eat the whole bag in one sitting. So now, when I do buy those kinds of things, I get the multipack of individual servings which for some bizarre reason have less of a mental hold on me. There's still 7 individual serving bags in the cupboard out of 10 that were bought a few weeks ago. There's also 4 sharing size bars of chocolate that have been there for a week or so and I hadn't paid them any attention.

Actually, now that I think about it, there are some things I haven't been buying because I know if I have them in the house I'll eat the lot. Peperami sticks for one. Sliced salami is another. And donuts. I haven't made cupcakes for a while because I know in a couple of days the entire dozen will be gone. And pork sausages. Hmm. Weird. I hadn't even realised I was avoiding certain things until just now.

But chocolate has to stay. Always and forever.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Those who do best with moderation tend to be the "forbidden fruit" type of people - tell them not to eat something, they want it all the more and pine away for it, increasing the chances that if they do indulge, they end up over consuming it.

Um.....no ;)

From what I've read here, learned from others in real life who choose moderation, and from what I've experienced, those who choose moderation tend to not demonize food (via "forbidden fruit" as you call it. :)) and choose to eat all things in moderation. There is no food type deprivation, hence overindulgence of calories is kept to a minimum.

I think maybe you misunderstood me. I meant for some people, abstaining from certain foods would result in the "forbidden fruit" phenomenon (not everyone experiences this, btw). IOW, if they were to cut out certain foods, they would fixate on those foods and want them all the more. For those people, moderation makes sense; nothing is "forbidden" so they don't fixate on anything. For other, like myself, moderation means needing to limit portions, often to sizes that are a "tease". IOW moderation leads to feelings of deprivation. It's easier for me to skip the ice cream altogether than it is to try and be satisfied with a crummy little half cup.

For example - my youngest child's birthday was a few days ago. I made her a chocolate cake. Now I ordinarily don't eat cake (I abstain). I did decide to have a small slice on her birthday. Then I had to white knuckle it for a couple days while dealing with cravings and feeling like I wanted more, more, more. Finally that passed. I'm not in a big hurry to eat cake again. When I am abstaining, I'm not thinking about cake, even the quarter of a cake that's still in the fridge. It's only when I try to incorporate a "moderate" amount that I suffer. For me "everything in moderation" means endless suffering. Making certain foods off limits means I don't eat it, so then I don't think about it. I understand that if you are a forbidden fruit type person, you may find this very difficult to understand, just as I never understood the forbidden fruit thing very well (who are you rebelling against in that scenario, exactly?). If someone tells me not to do something, especially if *I* tell myself not to do something, it doesn't suddenly become irresistible. But I guess for some people, it does. Those people should moderate. Hope that clears it up!

Maan i could have written this, but you explained it far better than i could. I'm in 100000% agreement with you.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    yes, very well put, tlflag1620!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a Food Safe for totally irresistible items... I tend to avoid buying those items, but if I do I eat a serving and then lock them up.

http://www.thekitchensafe.com/
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I lived alone I just wouldn't buy the foods I couldn't control myself around, or leave enough calories for a full packet or tub.

Living with my partner has been difficult, I could take a picture of his desk last night where he had mint sweets, Starburst and Hobnobs. I think I am getting better though, I keep some low calorie jelly in the fridge if I want a sweet hit. I freeze grapes as well for sweet hits.

My proud moment though, I bought a bag of mint Aero bubbles on Monday, a third of the packet is still sat on top of the fridge! I find if I keep it out of my eyeline then it helps a lot. Also I will weigh a portion out in a bowl rather than eat from the packet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Um.....no ;)

I think maybe you misunderstood me. I meant for some people, abstaining from certain foods would result in the "forbidden fruit" phenomenon (not everyone experiences this, btw). IOW, if they were to cut out certain foods, they would fixate on those foods and want them all the more. For those people, moderation makes sense; nothing is "forbidden" so they don't fixate on anything. For other, like myself, moderation means needing to limit portions, often to sizes that are a "tease". IOW moderation leads to feelings of deprivation. It's easier for me to skip the ice cream altogether than it is to try and be satisfied with a crummy little half cup.

For example - my youngest child's birthday was a few days ago. I made her a chocolate cake. Now I ordinarily don't eat cake (I abstain). I did decide to have a small slice on her birthday. Then I had to white knuckle it for a couple days while dealing with cravings and feeling like I wanted more, more, more. Finally that passed. I'm not in a big hurry to eat cake again. When I am abstaining, I'm not thinking about cake, even the quarter of a cake that's still in the fridge. It's only when I try to incorporate a "moderate" amount that I suffer. For me "everything in moderation" means endless suffering. Making certain foods off limits means I don't eat it, so then I don't think about it. I understand that if you are a forbidden fruit type person, you may find this very difficult to understand, just as I never understood the forbidden fruit thing very well (who are you rebelling against in that scenario, exactly?). If someone tells me not to do something, especially if *I* tell myself not to do something, it doesn't suddenly become irresistible. But I guess for some people, it does. Those people should moderate. Hope that clears it up!

Eh. I just said I couldn't have something too, and didn't for 4 months... then my sister brought me my favorite chocolates and I ate the whole box.

I can't really see how it's a long term solution for everyone. I can't imagine NEVER eating that stuff again because, well, I love food, food makes me happy, and I love sweets, and life's too short not to enjoy chocolate. And I'm definitely not one of those people who will stop thinking about cake just because I don't have any.. quite the opposite actually. I keep thinking about something, then the day I have it, the craving is gone, and I might not crave anything else sweet for a couple weeks.

So all I'm saying that this logic is not going to work for everyone. I guess people have to figure out what works for them. But I do get the 'serving size so little that it's not satisfying' thing. I laugh at people who are happy with one bite of dessert or a mini danish (seriously, WTF?). I can say though that now I'm satisfied with less too... but I'm more likely to eat less a week to fit a 600 calorie dessert than just try to fit in a 100 calorie portion, because yes, that's just sad.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Elimination for me is what I have had to do. However it took until all of those foods were making me super nauseous and sick after eating them to stop. My doctor advised going gluten free and I feel like a brand new person. I still eat some chocolate though but I only buy a single serving. I buy GF cookie mixes occasionally but not that often. Mostly I make flourless muffins and that helps my cravings.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I have a Food Safe for totally irresistible items... I tend to avoid buying those items, but if I do I eat a serving and then lock them up.

Do you also have the key? It seems weird to lock food away but then be the keeper of the key. Or is it just an outta sight outta mind thing?
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

Do you also have the key? It seems weird to lock food away but then be the keeper of the key. Or is it just an outta sight outta mind thing?

I don't think it has a key. It's a timer lock.