Ate Bad This Week

Options
been eating pass my macro this few days but is all healthy & clean food what should I do? :(

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How do your calories add up? That's what matters.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hangyeeee wrote: »
    been eating pass my macro this few days but is all healthy & clean food what should I do? :(

If you're over your macros, presumably you're over your calories too? By how much?
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just Shake It Off And Move On, Do Your Best To Stay As Close To Your Goals As Possible, And You'll Be Fine!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You seem to be falling into one of the classic pitfalls of diet and nutrition... Labeling foods as "clean" or "bad". Try to think focus on the quantitative things like calories, macro and micronutrients. Things you can definitively measure.

The reason why... You can gain weight eating nothing but "clean" whole foods, and you can lose weight eating nothing but highly processed "junk" foods.

Ideally you will strike a balance between nutrient dense foods with some "treats" thrown in that allow you to stay within your calorie, macro and micronutrient goals on a sustained basis.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    hangyeeee wrote: »

Ultimately calories are what matters for weight loss, so don't worry too much if you don't hit your macros perfectly. Also, if you are going with the macros set by MFP, they may not be the best ratio for you. I found the carb percentage the site gave me was much, much higher than what I eat normally, so I just adjusted the ratios to be more in line with how I eat.

If you are finding that you are above on macros but are still within calories, the entries you are using in the database are probably incorrect. There are 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs, and 9 calories per gram of fat, so you can check the math on your entries to see if things are adding up properly.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What can you honestly do?? Draw a line in the sand and move on, it's all any of us can do. We're all ( mostly) guilty of having a blow out, it's not the falling down, it's how you get up. Xx good luck xx
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    @hangyeeee did you go over your calories or macros?

No need to beat yourself up over it. Dust yourself off and move on. I go over sometimes, I'm sure we all do, but to gain a pound, you'd have to be 3500 calories over your maintenance for that week.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are minimums not maximums. It's fine to go over as long as you're within your calorie goals. Also "clean food" is not %100 necessary. If you can fit treats within your calorie and macro goals feel free to do so (it will make dieting much easier to sustain).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    If you're over your calorie goals, just stop doing that, and get back on track.

Not so easy? Getting hungry or having other negative effects from eating less? Experiment with changing the composition or timing of your eating to see whether you can find a more satisfying routine. Everyone's different when it comes to satisfaction.

Composition of eating: Within a healthy range of each, vary your macros and specific foods. Some people find protein more filling, some are more satisfied by healthy fats, some like high-volume/low-cal foods (which are usually high-fiber veggies). Some need some good carbs (whole grains, carb-type veggies), some do better low-carb.

Timing of eating: People here do anything from 5-6 small meals or snacks spread across their day, to one or two large meals in a short time (intermittent fasting). Some do better with a big breakfast, some with none. Some need to save calories for after-dinner snacks.

Try a new approach for a couple of days, see if you feel better or worse. If it's good, continue. If not, try another routine.

Diary review is your best tool: Every couple of days, review your diary, and see what foods weren't worth their calories in terms of nutrition, satiation, or tastiness. Replace those in the future with something else you like that better meets your goals. Rinse and repeat.

And think about whether non-food factors you can control/influence are contributing to missing your goals. Some possible hindrances you can do something to improve are poor sleep, high stress, insufficient hydration, boredom.

And +1 to the idea of avoiding characterizing food as "clean" or "unclean", "good" or "bad". Instead, focus on eating foods you enjoy that you personally find filling and delicious, and that add up to well-rounded daily nutrition.