Ketosis

Options
I need everyone's help please :) ! I started the ketosis diet 2 weeks ago. I lost 4 pounds the first week and this week I have gained 1 pound. I went over my carbohydrates one day in the last 2 weeks because I didn't know there was so many carbohydrates in peanut butter :'( , (that was Sunday so I believe I should be back In ketosis by now). I have went over on my protein a few days too. But I also went over on protein last week and lost 4 lbs. So I need all the information I can get from you and I'm doing my own research as well. My settings are calories 1490, carbs 19, protein 93, fat 116. I am mainly watching the carbs though. I want to lose 15 lbs. Also, do i use keto stix or are they inaccurate and a waste of money? I wanna give a shout out to alexandriaaymelek who has been a big help! Thanks all!

Replies

• DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    4 grams per table spoon (after fiber) isn't a lot. Is it?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I need everyone's help please :) ! I started the ketosis diet 2 weeks ago. I lost 4 pounds the first week and this week I have gained 1 pound. I went over my carbohydrates one day in the last 2 weeks because I didn't know there was so many carbohydrates in peanut butter :'( , (that was Sunday so I believe I should be back In ketosis by now). I have went over on my protein a few days too. But I also went over on protein last week and lost 4 lbs. So I need all the information I can get from you and I'm doing my own research as well. My settings are calories 1490, carbs 19, protein 93, fat 116. I am mainly watching the carbs though. I want to lose 15 lbs. Also, do i use keto stix or are they inaccurate and a waste of money? I wanna give a shout out to alexandriaaymelek who has been a big help! Thanks all!

You only have 15 lbs to lose, so it is going to be slow no matter what diet you follow. 3 lbs lost in two weeks is great! Some of that is water, of course. Are you weighing yourself daily or just once a week? Your diary isn't public so I can't see how much peanut butter you ate, but most brands only have about 5 or 6 g per 2 tbsp serving. You've only been doing this for two weeks, weight loss is not linear. Your macro set up looks fine. Honestly, I'd just keep on doing what you are doing and be patient. Perhaps consider weighing yourself daily so you can get used to the perfectly normal fluctuations that happen (maybe use the trend weight app so you can see the downward trend).

• ConstantStruggle
    ConstantStruggle Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well....I weigh myself more than once a week but not daily.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't need more information. You need to calm down and critically examine the information you have. You need to stick to the things that have a big impact and worry less about minor details. You have to have realistic expectations. You have to set an appropriate calorie goal. You have to track intake accurately and stick to your calorie goal. You have to eat food you like. You have to be patient. You have to measure your progress properly.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    Well....I weigh myself more than once a week but not daily.

It's totally up to you how often to step on the scale. That said, with only 15 lbs to lose you really can't expect to see a lower number every time you step on the scale. Averaging your losses will give you a better picture of what's going on. Also know that it is perfectly normal to have a big loss in the first week or two of a low carb diet, and then to have a week or two where you don't lose anything, or even regain some of that (it is mostly water, after all). If you stay the course and stick with your plan, you should see loss resume. Give it time to work.

• JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Regarding the Keto Stix ... I cannot comment on how accurate they are. However, from what I've read, they are largely unnecessary. If your body is burning fat, then by definition ketones are present. The stix are telling you something that the scale has already said.

However, from my own experience looking at the results from the stix can be a great encouragement on days when the scale says you've gained weight ... so do what makes you happy.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend too hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ketostix aren't very accurate. If you are well hydrated that can affect it too.

I have been in ketosis for about 14 months but I raerly register beyond trace ketones unless I fast. If you are eating uner 50g of carbs per day, you are in ketosis. Just keep eating at a deficit amd you will lose weight.
  • formylover
    formylover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you need to make sure that you are respecting your carb and your protein ratio. If your protein's intake is higher than it should then after a few days your body stared converting proteins into sugar and maybe even storing it.
    By the way are you exercising ?
  • ConstantStruggle
    Options
    I am not getting alot of exercise right now because I am studying for a board exam. I do walk daily on each of my 15 breaks and on weekends I try to walk/jog 4 miles (saturday and sunday). Before studying became a priorety I walked every day (on breaks plus the 3-4 miles.
  • ConstantStruggle
    Options
    50 g of carbs sounds like A LOT!!!!! Everything I am reading says you have to consume no more than 20g to be in ketosis
  • Usa9872001
    Usa9872001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been averaging 35-40 g carbs and stay in ketosis!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    50 g of carbs sounds like A LOT!!!!! Everything I am reading says you have to consume no more than 20g to be in ketosis

Ketosis is not on or off. All low carbers are in ketosis at some time. If you keep your carb intake below your glucose needs (of usually around 130g when you first go low carb) you will be in ketosis at some point. At 50g of carbs you will be in mild ketosis most of the time, and at 20g of carbs you will me deeper in ketosis all of the time. Probably. It also depends on your own body's gluconeogenesis.
  • ConstantStruggle
    Options
    Ok..I thought I posted this lastnight but can't find it anywhere.
    When do I know if I am in ketosis or not? When do I have to switch up my carbs and protein measurements? How long do I go without losing before I have to switch things up? I was under the impression if I was in ketosis I would lose every week.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When you go to the scale, remember that a gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs. With that in mind, comparing weight measurements week to week has more to do with your body's hydration levels than actual fat loss. It's better to see weight loss trends on a chart over the long term.

If you are holding strictly to 19 carbs per day, then you are in "ketosis." Please be sure to drink plenty of water.
  • ConstantStruggle
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. Easily a gallon most days. If I am in ketosis than shouldn't I be losing?
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. Easily a gallon most days. If I am in ketosis than shouldn't I be losing?

Ketosis doesn't automatically mean you're losing weight. You also have to be in a calorie deficit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »

Ketosis doesn't automatically mean you're losing weight. You also have to be in a calorie deficit.

Yep, a calorie deficit is the key to weight loss no matter which way of eating you choose. One could easily put on weight doing LCHF, granted it would be harder, but doable.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »

This. People gain lose, maintain, or gain, all while being in ketosis. It is simply a metabolic state. Yu still need to create a calorie deficit. And with only 15 lbs to lose, you aren't going to see consistent losses every week. Over time, if you stay in a calorie deficit (keto or not, that's up to you), you will lose weight. A reasonable time frame to lose 15 lbs is about 30 weeks.