My 50K training update!

Options
ktfranke
ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
Hey everyone! Just wanted to give you an update on my training! I'm gunna be running 30 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail in early August!

I'm up to running 36 miles a week! I typically only run 3 days a week now. So I ran a 12 mile, a 6 mile & an 18 mile last week! And I'm averaging 10-11 minute miles!

I've been trying to choose routes that are on actual trails, or that have good elevation gain! And I've been running with my 2L hydration pack, so that I can get used to packing the weight! And I'm feeling pretty confident so far!

I've discovered that I really need a caffeinated electrolyte drink around the halfway mark on my long runs. And I've also really enjoyed using honey stinger gels every 3-4 miles!

The one struggle I'm having right now, is finding the right shoe/sock combo to prevent blisters... I bought some hokas a few months back, and some five toed socks to keep from blistering between my toes! But I'm getting terrible blisters on the outside of my big toe and on the inside ball of my foot, which makes me think I need a wider toe box, or maybe I need to start wearing compression socks to prevent swelling?! I've tried gold bond powder, and body glide foot stick. And I've been wrapping my trouble areas with foam padding and tape, but it doesn't take care of the problem entirely... I just ordered some wide new balance trail runners, so we'll see if things improve!

The run date is August 5! Wish me luck!

Replies

• williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Outstanding job I have ran that kind of mileage in the past
    It is punishing
    Now I run 16 miles a week one of which is a 10 miler
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    The toe box in Altras is a fantastic shape and after trying HOKA the Altra are even better for me. I have good luck with either wright sock anti blister or swift wick. Toe socks always cause me some sort of issue.
  • ktfranke
    Options
    Thanks for the input @solieco1! I'll look into those!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    WOW, lady! That is impressive!
  • ktfranke
    Options
    Finished the run yesterday!!! It was a beautiful day! Great weather! Started just at day break, wild flowers, Mt. Rainier, it was gorgious! Took a nasty spill within the first technical 3 miles and scrapped my knees up! The blood running down my leg made it look far worse then it really was! But all the hikers I passed were so caring and asked if I needed help! Lol! I ran strong for the first half, but felt a strong need to stop and wait at a river crossing for one of my other comrades. I went back an extra mile to meet up with her, and we went the rest of the way together! Which in glad we did, because about eight miles from the finish, she tripped on a rock and fell and hit her face in a rock
  • ktfranke
    Options
  • ktfranke
    Options
  • ktfranke
    Options
    We walked the rest of the way, and I ended up running out of food because I hadnt planned on the extra time it took to walk out! And even though I didn't make great time, it was far more valuable to finish with a friend!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hey there, good luck with your 50k training. Have you tried KT Tape for your feet? You can wrap your feet/toes in them? I wrap my feet daily with it. Very helpful. Might want to see if some runners at a running shoe store near you can help customize ideal shoes for you. I love Mizunos personally and those are my favorite but we all have different feet, running patterns/form, etc. You can find KT Tape at Target, CVS, or at kttape.com where they have the videos that show you how to apply the tape. Enjoy your runs! Hope you find a solution and some ideal shoes for you.