NEW HERE... WITH 100+ LBS TO LOSE

Options
2»

Replies

• Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I wish your luck on your life change. This site is the greatest tool for reteaching us the proper way to eat and take care of ourselves. It is amazing at how much we have let our automatic lives destroy us and have been taken over by the Super Size Me Mafia. I Would like to congratulate you on deciding to fight back and not give up, that is the most important thing to do right now as you have decided to live (never thought it was a choice, did ya?). We are all here to help and answer questions and cheer each other on, and chew some *kitten* when it needs to be chewed. Just remember it is not a diet but a change of life, and my first piece of advice is to make your new life automatic, make it easy to do. If you don't have to struggle through our busy lives to eat healthy and stay fit the greater your success will be. Set your self some time alone to exercise and use it for that. Make your family respect that time also. It is a long and emotional journey, but you aren't alone. I always take new friends and love to help motivate people and give advice or chew some *kitten*. I have successfully reached my original goal, and have since made a new one. It takes time but it is one of the greatest things I have ever done. I am so moved by the experience that I love to help people do the same, so if you or anyone else want to add me feel free and I will tag along on your Journey! Good Luck!
  • elmobabie84
    elmobabie84 Posts: 112
    Options
    THANK U ALL SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT!!! I'M STARTING TO LINK MFP EVEN MORE NOW!!! I'M CURIOUS THOUGH.... WHAT DO YA'LL THINK ABOUT WATER PILLS? MY SISTER IN LAW SAID I NEEDED TO BE CAREFUL WHEN I TAKE THEM. ITS SOMETHING I AM CONSIDERING DOING BC I HAVE SOOOOO MUCH WATER RETENTION.
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well where to even start...... i guess i'm doing this for myself before i do it for anyone else. But i guess the real reason i decided to get on the ball and start losing weight is because my husband and i would like to have kids one day. And maybe if i start lose the weight and become more healthy then it will motive him to lose some as well. I feel like this might be a lost cause since no one seems to be very supported. I joined another site and since i had started that sight i lost 7.6 lbs but there was something about this site that caught my eye. I would love to have some friends on this site so we could encourage each other to lose the weight (no one likes to do this alone... at least i dont). I just really dont want to feel like this is a lost cause. I need motivation to exercise so if anyone has any ideas i am more than willing to accept them. 9182155.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

i think at some point in the beginning of this weight loss journey we all feel this way. but trust me, you will find support and friends here. i have quite a bit of weight to lose myself and overall ive lost 27lbs, 6lbs on MFP. its really hard but the outcome is well worth the hard work. one day at a time, just keep reciting to yourself that you will succeed and have faith in GOD. You're welcome to be my friend. i like emailing because its easier for me to respond while im working. :) I wish all success and hope that your husband starts with you too.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Welcome here!! Feel free to add me!
  • hnnybnny
    hnnybnny Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm just signing up and your post caught my eye. I love the sayings you put there, I have read them before and was tickled to see the reminder. You have encouraged me by your successes. I know by the numbers that you have been doing something right both in what you are eating, how you are moving and most importantly how you have changed your thinking about food. I need to lose anywhere from 150 to 180lbs to get to the size I am comfortable. (I'd have to lose 200 to be where the BMI chart recommends) I have been over 300+ for the better part of the last 2 decades. I had lost 50lbs a few years ago but I got pregnant and had bad complications- ended up on bedrest for weeks before delivering a stillborn and spending the next three years in and out of hospitals and doctors offices. The weight came back on rapidly and everytime I have tried to lose weight since then I have gotten sick. A friend of mine joined this sight and told me to join with her, so here I am and at first glance it seems very cool. Anyway, if you would be interested I would like to have you as a friend. I believe having a friend who knows what it is like to need to lose more than 100lbs would be a blessing. (even more so since you have already seen such success on this journey) Best wishes either way!
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Support is a big key in staying on track. I too am fairly new to this and I love it already. Feel free to add me as a friend. I can always use a shoulder to lean on, or I also have a shoulder to lean on if you need one. Good Luck and happy life style change to you!!
  • dreamer4
    dreamer4 Posts: 27
    Options
    THANK U ALL SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT!!! I'M STARTING TO LINK MFP EVEN MORE NOW!!! I'M CURIOUS THOUGH.... WHAT DO YA'LL THINK ABOUT WATER PILLS? MY SISTER IN LAW SAID I NEEDED TO BE CAREFUL WHEN I TAKE THEM. ITS SOMETHING I AM CONSIDERING DOING BC I HAVE SOOOOO MUCH WATER RETENTION.

Water pills will not take of fat it will take off water. Are you on medication that makes you hold fluid? Maybe the doc can change to something else? If you lower your sodium intake do you still hold fluid? I know my ankles swell if I eat fast food, but if I don't than I have no issue with holding fluid. Maybe diet modification would help you too? Be careful if you are talking about medical medication induced weight loss. I have seen people diet from them. My sister tried a crazy doc like that and ended up in the ICU a few days.
  • Schrodi
    Schrodi Posts: 12
    Options
    Getting motivated for me has been hard and personally I'm tired of beating myself up every time I look in the mirror.
    I've been trying to get the ball rolling by making good decisions each day when it comes to food and by the end of the day, I feel so proud of myself that I actually want to work out. It's only been about 20 mins each day but it helps when you think about what each thing you do is doing for your body.
    For instance, every time you eat, think to yourself ' I need only this amount of energy to keep myself going.' Well, that's what I think when eating to keep myself from over doing it.
    Then when I get around to exercising, I think to myself 'It's just 20mins.'

I know it might seem silly but that's what keeps me going for now.

Hope you find it helpful.
  • willowmjc
    willowmjc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    wow ...i just joined tonight an also have 100lbs to lose ...reading all the posts here has given me encouragment to see i have started in a good place...u can add me as a friend an we can help each other ..my husband an i both have a lot to lose (although we r done having kids )now we have to do it to enjoy them..but sometimes he is the one stressing me or making me feel guilty for not doing excersizes when he is ready ..cuz he doesnt like to do it alone but sometimes id rather do my routine alone to be in the moment with my own spirit ..an it is hard to keep up with his pace of walk (im much shorter lol) ..instead of just supporting i feel like he is dependant on me ..
  • elmobabie84
    elmobabie84 Posts: 112
    Options

Water pills will not take of fat it will take off water. Are you on medication that makes you hold fluid? Maybe the doc can change to something else? If you lower your sodium intake do you still hold fluid? I know my ankles swell if I eat fast food, but if I don't than I have no issue with holding fluid. Maybe diet modification would help you too? Be careful if you are talking about medical medication induced weight loss. I have seen people diet from them. My sister tried a crazy doc like that and ended up in the ICU a few days.

I'm not on any medication that makes me hold water. I've tried to lower my sodium intake as well and i still seem to hold water. I think i'll talk to my doctor and see what he thinks i should do. i've had the same doctor for years now and he never mentioned taking fluid pills it was something i had thought of doing myself. but i will definetly talk to him and see whatt he thinks is best.
  • hnnybnny
    hnnybnny Posts: 2
    Options
    A few things to help reduce fluid retention that isn't dangerous. Eat celery, drink decaf green tea, and take magnesium supplements up to 400mg a day (it helps to balance the amount of fluid in your body so that your body uses what it needs more efficiently and lets go of what it doesn't need. It can also help with headaches) There are other natural foods and herbs that work, you can look up natural diuretics online if you want more suggestions. (I have used all of the above and seen great success at both reducing fluid retention as well as reducing blood pressure caused by excess fluid)
  • bomomar
    bomomar Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some people to compete with in weight loss. I'm a competitive guy and figure it might be motivational to compete against others. If you want to compete please let me know. We will base standings on weight loss percentages. Each week the last place finisher will be asked to donate $5.00 to a charity of your choice. Only join us if you are serious. If you are interested please send me a friend invite. Weigh-in and donation is honor system. LETS GO WE CAN DO IT.
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Drinking water (a ton!) will help you to rid yourself of water weight. (best advice given to me on my first day on here....yeah it was on Sunday :-), she said chug, dont sip). If you do take water pills, take a potassium pill with it, or you may get leg cramping. Or at least i did when i took water pills. Once i took potassium (or eat bananas), it eased.

but try the water before the pills. the body needs alot to function. :-)
  • OnlyGodCan
    OnlyGodCan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP! We will motivate you! Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Fatcatsmom
    Fatcatsmom Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi, I still have 100lbs to lose, so I'm in for the long haul too. I'm glad that you will discuss diuretics with your Dr. as they should only be used if clinicly indicated(for example hypertension or congestive heart disease). I think that once you start logging your food, eating healthier (esp lowering sodium),etc retaining water will be less of a problem. :smile: Glad to have you here.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You will find that this site is full of very good information and tools!! The people are amazing! I, too, have over 100lbs to lose, please feel free to add me. I started my weight loss journey 8 weeks ago and am 24lbs lighter already. Drink lots of water, stay active and count every bite of food that you put in your mouth. If you have a day that's bad, then there's always tomorrow. I've tried to lose weight more times than I can count, this is the first time that I have ever been this motivated and I plan to stay that way. This is a lifestyle change for everyone on this site, whether they have 5lbs or 300lbs to lose.....everyone here will keep you in check when you're having a bad day. Best of luck to you on this journey!!
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    One pound at a time
    Set 5 lb mini goals
    Lots of water
    Food journal everyday no matter what
    Don't beat yourself up about anything (weightloss & life)
    YOU'RE WORTH IT
    Only focus on YOUR weightloss; don't worry about hubby right now
    Did I say water? And lots of it

The hardest part is starting! It does get easier trust me.

Welcome to MFP and believe in yourself.
  • ch112803
    ch112803 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend water pills without talking to your doctor first. Water makes up 55-60% of our body make up. So, if you are dehydrated...which the majority of us are...your body will retain water. You should drink at least 64 oz but I've seen equations that recommend drinking half of your weight in ounces. I weigh 266 so according tot he formula I should be drinking 133 oz a day. I've never reach that number but I do try to get 96 oz in a day. Cutting soda and switching to water will make a HUGE difference.

And be careful of those leg cramps...I hate those thing especially when they wake you up in the middle of the night.