I'm fat and I CAN do yoga!

Options
This is a follow up to my post, "Do fat people do yoga?" I went to my first ever yoga class this morning and I LOVED it. I have been dealing with a lot of stress lately and it was just what I needed. So relaxing. It was definitely hard, though. Plank is a killer. Child's pose is uncomfortable because I have bad knees and Hero pose (I think that's what it was) really hurt my knees. I've never been able to sit like that very long without pain. But I was able to do everything just fine and it turns out I'm a lot more flexible and strong than I thought. My legs have gotten so strong that chair pose was really easy. I'm just really lacking in the arm strength...I was shaking a bit with downward facing dog and plank, but I held them! So proud of myself. It was kind of sucky at first because I got there right on time, but the desk directed me to the wrong room so I had to find the darn class and walked in late. I was kind of embarrassed because they were already started, the lights were dim and soft music was playing and I dropped my stinking keys! Then had to go to the front and get a mat, so I had some anxiety in the beginning, but as I got into it, I forgot all about it. I will definitely be going back Thursday! I think I may become a yogi? (that's what they call themselves, right?)

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to try it! :) So glad I did!

Replies

• Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'm happy you tried it and love it, don't know what I would do without my regular yoga :)
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    That's great. Way to step out of your comfort zone and go, and kudos for not giving up despite the anxiety that occured prior to the class.
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    Options
    I love yoga. I do hot yoga. I think I've been to 3 classes. I also do pilates.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Anybody can do yoga - it is not about getting into the posture perfectly, it is about going as far as you are comfortable with. Next time, talk with the teacher a minute before the class & let him/her know about your knees. There are always alternative versions of postures that they can suggest to you. There is a version of child's pose where you are not on your knees. Or they can suggest a completely different posture for you that will stretch the same muscle groups but get you off the knees. As you learn the postures & get more comfortable with yoga, you will know to just get out of a pose if it hurts. Yoga is not about pain at any time, and you do drop out of poses if it gets too hard. You should always be able to maintain your breath. If you find you are struggling to breath, or are holding your breath trying to stay in a pose, come out of it, breath, and go back in it.

I've been taking yoga for 28 years, and for a lot of those years I have been in the 200-230 lb range, up and down. It's definately easier to do some poses when you are thinner, but I can see that I do other poses better than some of the skinny people in class. You just go with what you can do & don't worry about everyone else in class. Enjoy!
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    There is hope for me yet!
    I have yoga and pilates DVDs here at home and my daughter loves them but I couldn't do many of the roll up type exercises.
    Ugh!
    Now that I have lost almost half of my goal wt...maybe I should give it another go...

Thanks for posting and I am glad you found something you are really enjoying.
    Gotta love that!

Btw, Rhondast, what is HOT yoga?

Keep on...keepin' on...
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    That's great. Way to step out of your comfort zone and go, and kudos for not giving up despite the anxiety that occured prior to the class.

I totally almost walked out too. I kind of stood there for a minute debating whether I should just come another day and get there on time, but when I turned towards the door a woman was like, "there are mats at the front" so I went and got one and so glad I stayed! :)
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    Anybody can do yoga - it is not about getting into the posture perfectly, it is about going as far as you are comfortable with. Next time, talk with the teacher a minute before the class & let him/her know about your knees. There are always alternative versions of postures that they can suggest to you. There is a version of child's pose where you are not on your knees. Or they can suggest a completely different posture for you that will stretch the same muscle groups but get you off the knees. As you learn the postures & get more comfortable with yoga, you will know to just get out of a pose if it hurts. Yoga is not about pain at any time, and you do drop out of poses if it gets too hard. You should always be able to maintain your breath. If you find you are struggling to breath, or are holding your breath trying to stay in a pose, come out of it, breath, and go back in it.

I've been taking yoga for 28 years, and for a lot of those years I have been in the 200-230 lb range, up and down. It's definately easier to do some poses when you are thinner, but I can see that I do other poses better than some of the skinny people in class. You just go with what you can do & don't worry about everyone else in class. Enjoy!

Yeah, actually the breathing was the hardest part for me. I missed the beginning when he was talking about breathing for one thing, but it was hard to keep my breathing even. I have always had more shallow breathing, though...I think this will be good for me. :) I was surprised to see that I was more flexible than some of them with the stretches. The belly DOES get in the way of some of the poses, though, can't wait to lose it!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I miss Yoga!
    Keep going, it can be very challenging and extremely rewarding.
    In addition, if/when you feel like a little adventure. Try Bikram Yoga (Hot Yoga). Trick is to make certain you go at least 3 times. The first couple of classes are very difficult to take with the heat. However after the 3rd time you get used to the heat and the poses.

Good luck !
  • Buckeye_Jenn
    Buckeye_Jenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is about yoga, but I sweat like crazy in my class! I usually go to a Vinyasa class and I will sweat more than I would have on a few mile run. It feels fantastic and I love it, but I'm a little self conscious when I walk out of there drenched and others seem just fine. Tonight I think I'm going to try Power yoga just because it's what works for my schedule. I love taking a yoga class at night because I come home so centered and relaxed for the evening.
  • nicolenayima
    nicolenayima Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you liked it! I have my beginner's yoga "graduation" tonight, but am planning on continuing to go. Last week was the first time I felt I really could not do something yet because of my weight, and it was the headstand...It just hurt my head too much to put that much weight on it! I'm going to have to work up to that one...
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I used to make fun of yoga... thought you couldn't get a "real" workout from yoga. Then I went for a flow class. I just started two weeks ago, and I can see a real difference already! Definitely firming up after just two weeks.

Yoga really gives me a great workout!!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    So glad you tried it! Good for you! I'm fat, and so can I!!!

I absolutely adore yoga and I do it several times a week. It is strength, flexibility, cardio.. all in one! And yes, it helps one relax, learn to breathe, and it DOES burn a lot of calories depending on the practice.

Yoga is a "practice" for a reason; perfection is not the point. It's the benefits you get from it and just the joy of doing the postures. Do it a few times and you'll see huge changes, seriously.

Bikram is my favorite but I haven't been in awhile. Definitely agree that it's also fantastic!

Gonna go do my yoga right now, as a matter of fact!