How to log calories after vomiting?

Options
Sorry for the gross question, but I feel like one of my biggest issues with keeping track of what I eat has been that I have no idea what to do when I throw up. I feel bad not counting it, because I'm sure I've already digested some of the calories, but also its hard to ever feel full or satisfied when your tummy is always empty... I know this isn't a problem for most people, but I have a lot of health issues and usually vomit several times a week at best, or several times a day at worst, so it's a situation I find myself in a lot and I would really like to know what to do!

Replies

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I hope you're under treatment for your GI issues because that sounds like hell on wheels, and all that hurling can really mess you up. I'd ask the doctor about it, honestly. Doc knows you and your condition better than anyone here could.
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're not bulimic, but either way, go see a doctor. As someone who used to occasionally 'accidentally' throw up once or twice a week, it kills your teeth - I have a couple of years of college tuition in my mouth now in the form of dental work. If there's something wrong with your digestive system, there's no decent way to log because there's no way to know what else is going on in your gut and how many calories you're absorbing, and you may have real trouble.
  • LokiGrrl
    Options
    I'm assuming you're not bulimic, but either way, go see a doctor. As someone who used to occasionally 'accidentally' throw up once or twice a week, it kills your teeth - I have a couple of years of college tuition in my mouth now in the form of dental work. If there's something wrong with your digestive system, there's no decent way to log because there's no way to know what else is going on in your gut and how many calories you're absorbing, and you may have real trouble.

Seconded, my roommate had undiagnosed H. pylori for a long time and her teeth were just ruined before it was finally discovered and treated.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I can't think of why you would even want to log calories if you vomit so much. Why worry about it at all? You should be under a doctor's care and maybe a feeding tube.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Oh man yeah this sounds like something you should contact your doctor about
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to consult your doctor.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need help, Sweetheart! Are you in therapy?
  • lakealien
    lakealien Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lmao guys, I have a dr and a diagnosis and that's really not my problem. I have 3 separate chronic GI disorders + an autoimmune disease and just an overall *kitten* body haha. My teeth were destroyed looong ago, and I will probably have dentures before 25. C'est la vie.

ANYWAY. All I was really wondering was if anyone had an idea for calorie logging when you have such an unstable calorie intake. Previously I've just been trying to eat healthy foods and only eat when I'm hungry, but having terrible self control and a super restrictive diet it hasn't really....worked out so well...
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    lakealien wrote: »
    Lmao guys, I have a dr and a diagnosis and that's really not my problem. I have 3 separate chronic GI disorders + an autoimmune disease and just an overall *kitten* body haha. My teeth were destroyed looong ago, and I will probably have dentures before 25. C'est la vie.

ANYWAY. All I was really wondering was if anyone had an idea for calorie logging when you have such an unstable calorie intake. Previously I've just been trying to eat healthy foods and only eat when I'm hungry, but having terrible self control and a super restrictive diet it hasn't really....worked out so well...

I'm sorry Hun I just don't have the answers for you. I don't know that anyone can really answer your question because it's nearly impossible to guess just how many calories you've actually absorbed before vomiting.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope you find some relief from your ailments
  • rainydayvivi
    rainydayvivi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've heard you still absorb half when you vomit so half the calories. (??)
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Even still, if you are vomiting that much, there's no way people on a forum are going to be able to tell you how to log calories in your situation. It is still a question for your doctor.
  • LokiGrrl
    Options

Again I say... ask your doctor. I'm glad to hear you have one. While you're at it ask him/her for some antiemetics. They exist for a reason.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    log 38% of them.
  • LokiGrrl
    Options
    How on earth could someone know the calories in human vomit? It would be made of different stuff every time. And what size is "1 bucket." That's got to be a joke.

Also, gross.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor, although that much vomiting will likely result in malnutrition and dehydration/electrolyte imbalances. So it's probably in your best interest to eat until you are satisfied to attempt to get adequate nutrients/vitamins and other health sustaining dietary requirements given that your already on a restricted diet from the GI disorders. Most people who have GI issues have trouble keeping weight on, not losing. But again, a doctor can help you get a plan together that is modified for you and your specific needs. Logging calories isn't really going to work for you since you can't know what your actually getting. Good luck! I hope you get relief from your conditions very soon.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Like everyone else already said, no one is going to know the answer to that. But, I was actually curious to see if it was in the system. It says one bucket is 400 calories. That is weird that that is in there...

Next time you see your doctor you should ask him/her about all that. How to lose weight when you're throwing up.. Doesn't sound very healthy throwing up your food and not eating anything else.. I don't know how that works. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

In case anyone was wondering- Entries are user entered into this database. So yes, if you look hard enough you will find some silly things( like humans flesh or bodily secretions, vomit and so on) I would not trust any of the calories or macros for questionable items. It would be next to impossible for anyone to guess the number of calories anyone has vomited.
    Btw @womanofgod4893 I love your username!
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you have a lot more to worry about than counting calories...yikes.
  • LokiGrrl
    Options
    Like everyone else already said, no one is going to know the answer to that. But, I was actually curious to see if it was in the system. It says one bucket is 400 calories. That is weird that that is in there...

Next time you see your doctor you should ask him/her about all that. How to lose weight when you're throwing up.. Doesn't sound very healthy throwing up your food and not eating anything else.. I don't know how that works. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

In case anyone was wondering- Entries are user entered into this database. So yes, if you look hard enough you will find some silly things( like humans flesh or bodily secretions, vomit and so on) I would not trust any of the calories or macros for questionable items. It would be next to impossible for anyone to guess the number of calories anyone has vomited.
    Btw @womanofgod4893 I love your username!

Well, now I feel like a giant hypocrite, because I think human flesh is funny, but I was grossed out by the bucket of vomit and asked MFP to remove it. Live and learn.