Can we settle this calorie debate???

Options
If MFP says my goal is 1500 calories, and I burn 600 calories, should I be eating a total of 2100 calories? Or get my 1500? I've been told both by friends on here. I don't use a food scale every time so I adjust for variage counting. I would love to get a definitive answer on this. Thanks in advance....

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    No. You should eat back about half of the 600 calories which means your total would be 1800
  • bujiebuke
    bujiebuke Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calorie counters on treadmills and machines etc account for TOTAL calories, which includes the calories that you would have lost during that time by just sitting on the couch instead of exercising. To calculate NET calories, find your BMR, hours spent working out to get resting calories lost. Subtract resting calories from TOTAL calories lost. This is only an estimate since treadmills and other machines are inaccurate.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is weigh everything on the food scale in grams and eat back half of your exercise calories. You may see a temporary increase on the scale from increased calories, but that's normal.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It is all just estimates. However 600 kc is a pretty hard workout. It is really excellent that you are exercising that hard.

As IllustratedxGirl said you have to see what happens to know if your calorie counting, exercise estimates and what your body actually does with the food gets you moving to where you want to go. It is also something you have to watch because things change all the time. For example your metabolism can change or even the impact your workout changes as your muscles adapt. Sometimes the changes can be very good for weight lose, such as maybe as you lose weight you become more sensitive to insulin and end up with less of in in your blood. There are many things going on in your body, so you have to watch it over time to see what is really going on.

I basically don't pay attention to the exercise estimates on MFC. I think they are too high in general. However I don't even really pay attention to the estimates coming from my fitness tracker. I'm also eating about 400 to 800 kc more than what MFP recommends but I'm still losing weight for now. In fact I'm probably losing weight a little too fast right now. I'm sure that won't last.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well, I've always eaten back all or most of my exercise calories and I've been successful at both losing and maintaining at goal for 5 years here on MFP. The system is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories, but some people don't eat all of them back since it's common for exercise calories to be over-estimated. I wouldn't skip ALL the exercise calories, though. You have to fuel those workouts and then recover from them, you know. I'd think people who never eat back ANY exercise cals would burn out over time. Doesn't seem sustainable to me. But that's just my opinion. If it works for other people, who am I to judge? Just experiment and see what works for you. :)
  • Motions28
    Motions28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a math teacher. It drives me crazy there isn't a set answer to this....a yes or no would be fantastic. I've been doing this for 50 days and have lost 11.5 pounds so things are moving in the right direction. I just want to know if what I am doing is causing my body harm. I don't plan on staying at this once I reach my target weight...but it seems like the consensus is to eat half workout cals back. I'm never going to be hungry...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat all of my exercise calories back , other times some or none, it depends how hungry i am.
    I don't do intense exercise though, just lots and lots of walking. Plus, i think my fitbit overestimates so this is another reason why i try to avoid eating back 100% of them.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I eat all or most of my exercise calories back and have been having success
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I eat all mine from my Fitbit zip which logs steps only and my polar ft4 (which I use advisedly based on type of workout eg will knock a couple of hundred calories off for strength training)

Bio feedback and trend sites with extrapolations based on moving averages like trendweight.com are the way to go if you are into numbers IMHO
    (Also Weightographer or apps like libra and Happyscale)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I ate my exercise calories back (and I estimated conservatively). I did just fine, weight loss wise. MFP is designed to eat back exercise calories. So, I think it is very important that members take exercise into consideration in your calorie calculation, whether it be the MFP method or the TDEE method (which takes exercise levels into consideration before-hand). You need to make sure your overall activity level is properly fueled.

That being said, I think it is very sweet that you want a definitive answer (and I honestly don't mean that in a bad way). I've been here since 2012, and there has never been a consensus. Ever.

If I was using the MFP method, I would put my stats in, along with my activity level without exercise. Maybe start eating 50% of your exercise calories back, and within a few weeks, see how your weight loss is going and adjust. I found MFP calorie estimates for walking (my main exercise) to be fairly accurate. For other exercise, I used a HRM with a chest strap.

It takes some experimentation, some times, to find your sweet spot :).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, i think I'll just stick to estimating lol
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Motions28 wrote: »
    I'm a math teacher. It drives me crazy there isn't a set answer to this....a yes or no would be fantastic. I've been doing this for 50 days and have lost 11.5 pounds so things are moving in the right direction. I just want to know if what I am doing is causing my body harm. I don't plan on staying at this once I reach my target weight...but it seems like the consensus is to eat half workout cals back. I'm never going to be hungry...

Well there is at least one study that suggests you may be making some undesirable long term changes. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/4/906.long
    Declines in energy expenditure favoring the regain of lost weight persist well beyond the period of dynamic weight loss.

This is a well know issue, people diet and succeed but then gain back more weight than they lost. Anyway that is my primary reason I don't worry about what MFP thinks I need to eat. I've actually tried logging some exercise in MFP and the results were not trustworthy.

I mentioned I though my weight lost was too fast. That is about 13 pounds in 100 days, although probably 3 or 4 pounds of that is because the weather is so much hotter now. Most people would consider that very slow I think, but I like eating. :smiley: