Do you use heart rate monitor for exercising? which one?

Options
skyhowl
skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I just bought a heart rate monitor a week ago, i am enjoying doing exercises using it so far. i am wondering if many people on MFP rely on heart rate monitors for calories burned? and i noticed that the numbers that MFP put is way off from the ones the monitor records... but still i don't know to which degree the monitor will be inaccurate? hundreds or less?

The difference between calories burned estimated is mostly double the calories recorded from monitor, so this is a great difference
For people using monitors for longer periods, do you eat all of the exercise calories back? have you noticed any stalling in weight loss when you did that?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Garmin 225 for running. Love it.

And I've found the numbers to be pretty much the same as MFP's... I've always eaten back all my exercise cals and list weight.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    Garmin 225 for running. Love it.

And I've found the numbers to be pretty much the same as MFP's... I've always eaten back all my exercise cals and list weight.

what's you fitness level? :) i guess maybe the MFP burn range for people.
    i am not really fit so this maybe could explain that the calories i get from my monitor is way less than i get from MFP calculator? i am not sure though
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    In my view (Channeling Bernie Sanders), if you want to be serious about your training, you MUST use a hr monitor. You can't go wrong with Polar products.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    In my view (Channeling Bernie Sanders), if you want to be serious about your training, you MUST use a hr monitor. You can't go wrong with Polar products.

That's the one i use, thanks for your reply :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have a built-in HR monitor on my stationary bike and rower and use an old analog Omron HR transmitter (chest strap) on the bike and a Garmin ANT+ digital HR transmitter on the rower. Can't use them interchangeably. Don't need to use a HRM otherwise.
  • shurst19
    shurst19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into the polar ones as I feel my Fitbit hr is not as accurate with my hr and calories burned.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin fenix 3 HR, and it monitors heart rate 24/7. Seems to be pretty accurate so far. I also have a fitbit Blaze, but it does not have the advanced features like the Garmin.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Garmin 235
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Polar H7
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. I use it all the time and have had for over 3 years. Works great, very accurate.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4 but only for specific steady state workouts

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivofit (chest strap). LOVE it! Was a Polar devotee until my last upgrade and had a bad experience with the seller and then with Polar. :disappointed:
  • skyhowl
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Garmin Vivofit (chest strap). LOVE it! Was a Polar devotee until my last upgrade and had a bad experience with the seller and then with Polar. :disappointed:

I never had any other hr monitor, i've bought a polar one with chest strap aswell. Was it a problem with the hr monitor itslef or with the company that made you get the Garmin?
  • skyhowl
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I use a Garmin fenix 3 HR, and it monitors heart rate 24/7. Seems to be pretty accurate so far. I also have a fitbit Blaze, but it does not have the advanced features like the Garmin.

How does the Garmin monitors 24/7, is the hr in the watch itself or do you have to wear like a chest strap all day?
  • skyhowl
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

I actually looked into thw one you mentioned :D, it doesn't have chest strap, nice... But i don't think i would be able to afford it, the polar one i got is even an old model :)
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin fenix3 watch and use a scosche rhythm+ HRM. This combination is awesome. I also have the hrm-run but it's a chest strap and not as comfortable as the scosche. Personally if I was serious about using a HRM I would be using an arm or chest strap version over a wrist based one. At least for now as they seem more accurate.

The scosche pairs with most watches and trackers as far as I know.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT4 for years, I've always liked it. I use it for all my workouts, even lifting (and yes, I am fully aware that that is not actually going to be an accurate reading), and generally eat I'd say at least 2/3rds of my exercise cals back, and this seems to work for me. Honestly, I tend to calorie cycle, so it's kinda hard to see in my diary, but I am for my weeky net goal. For running I have a Garmin Forerunner 220 with chest strap. I did, however, just order a Garmin Vivoactive, and I'm really excited to play around with it! It is a daily tracker but it will also connect to my Garmin chest strap for my exercise sessions. Coming from Amazon Prime today, yay for new fitness tech toys! Lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 - used it while losing weight and getting fitter. Probably overestimated by about 15 - 20%.
    Most people with under average fitness levels are going to get an overestimate.
    Still ate all my exercise calories, you just simply adjust your calorie goal based on actual results over time - consistency and willingness to make adjustments beats accuracy!

Polar FT60 - seems really accurate when calibrated with my tested VO2 max and max HR settings. Agrees almost perfectly with expensive power meter equipped trainers.

Garmin Edge 800 for cycling - underestimates calories burned. Badly underestimates on lower intensity rides as I can produce reasonably good power output at low HR.
  • chalerine88
    chalerine88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work out at OrangeTheory fitness and was lucky enough to join my location just as it opened, so I got a good deal and a heart rate monitor for no extra charge. I definitely recommend these workouts if you are financially able to join and there is one near you!
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap sport line from walmart (no chest strap) I was wondering how accurate it was but it seems pretty accurate. On a brisk wall I burn around 100 calories in 10 mins. My calorie burn was roughly 300 for a 30 min walk give or take depending on where I go.

Since I had a baby and push a stroller now I burn an extra 60-80 calories during a 30 min walk.

My problem was the steps from my HRM and fitbit flex where about 1500 steps off.

But when i was eating back half of my exercise calories according to my HRM I was still losing weight before (before my baby) and now that I don't my weight is at a stand still and I'm cranky... so I think my cheap $50 one is fairly accurate.