How long till the brain recognises the smaller me?

Options
I've successfully lost almost 50 pounds and I am super proud of myself but the sad thing is when i look in the mirror I see see the obese me. I know I'm smaller because I take progress pics and I know I weigh less because I weigh. But I still feel so huge. I know it takes a while for the brain to catch up to the body but it's rather depressing. Anyone else feel this way on their journey? e5rfa8c3nfd4.png

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss - good job!

It took quite awhile for the fact that I was actually smaller to click in my brain. I mean, I knew I had lost weight, I could see it but it just didn't feel like my brain knew it. It finally registered that yes, I was much smaller when I went to buy pj pants and realized I had absolutely no clue what size I needed to buy. I actually had to go try them on and was amazed that the smalls fit.

Just give it time and keep taking pictures. Your brain will catch on soon!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is my brain plays tricks too. When my auntie retired she gave me a huge box for scrubs. Not a single one fit. I was wearing 2xl scrubs at the time. So when I pulled out the box and they all fit (size large), my brain was saying "well maybe they stretched somehow" lol. I know it's not even possible but so weird what the mind does.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    First, you look awesome, don't let your brain tell you otherwise.
    I lost 30 pounds last year and my brain still sees myself as overweight but I have extremely distorted body issues.
    I find pictures help.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Sounds like the rest of the journey is going to involve learning how to love and accept your new body how it is. Good luck!
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think the same way it's gonna take some time to get use to our new transformation, the same way we were in denial of how big we had become. I think over time when we get used to shopping for a particular size that reality will set in.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I think it does take time. I've been maintaining since April after losing 90 lbs and even though I only weigh 120 lbs I still feel fat. Sometimes I see a picture of myself and feel surprised because I look so small but don't feel it! I'm starting to become more used to my new body and more comfortable with it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Months

Shopping for new clothes helps
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    55 lbs down ... and there are times I still think of myself as 55 lbs heavier.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The head adjustment does take time. I've been maintaining a 150 pound weight loss for ten months and the mirror and trying on new clothes still blow my mind. It is getting easier. Hang in !
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am approaching 200 lbs lost and still see the fat me in the mirror. Of course I still have a lot more to loose, but my upper body and arms are still big, so I feel like I haven't made much progress. When I do finally think I have done well, I usually meet someone that knocks me on my weight and it sets my mind frame back a few months. Can't wait to be a normal size and see it looking back at me in the mirror.

Congrats on your weight loss, you look great.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Brain is a weird thing isn't it? I have lost 95 pounds and all I can see is my clothes getting bigger. I still worry if I would fit into chairs when going to a new restaurant although logically I shouldn't be worrying. I still under-estimate the amount of space available when I need to squeeze through behind something. My eye still goes directly to the brands of clothes that have a 3x/4x sizes. I actually see people around me get bigger instead of me getting smaller as if I'm holding on onto this image of myself (and I might be for various reasons). It's freakishly weird and fascinating. It's been two years for me and it still boggles my mind. I know this isn't helpful, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've maintained for over a year (within 5 kgs after a 30-35 kg loss) and I still regularly do a double take when I see myself in the mirror, or forget I can now look at the former samples rack in clothes shops and reasonably expect to find something that might fit. It's weird.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining in a 65 - 70 kg lost range, I've been in this 5 kg weight range for just over 2 years now. My mind still plays tricks when I look in the mirror though, I can't always tell what size I actually am. I can judge my size better when I look at photos, so I've learned to always take a photo if I'm trying clothes on. I also have days where I feel huge and days where I feel very small, I don't know if that will ever change.

So you are definitely not alone!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I lost 78 pounds and I still feel huge. It's been over 2 years...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your progress! Awesome job!

As for your brain catching up, it depends on the person. June 2015, I was 139 pounds and now I'm 108 pounds. I still have days where my brain doesn't get the immense amount of progress I've made. I bought shorts this spring and it took a few weeks for me to be confident enough to wear them without leggings or tights underneath them. Sometimes I wake up and think I'll be in my old body or one day I'll just start gaining weight again out of nowhere, but I know better.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Great job!

Wife and I each lost over 50. It's weird to see yourself and think your still obese but it's real.

Now 9 months into maintenance the new weight seems normal again. It does help to have someone point out how much you have changed.