Jogging tips?

Options
aimsmae
aimsmae Posts: 8 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have started jogging and it has been a little bit challenging. I would like some advice on how to improve jogging (a habit). Thank you!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • jcobb1980
    jcobb1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have never been a runner, but have set a goal to run a 5k this fall. I have been walking in the mornings before work. During my evening walks I have been trying to run at short intervals. As far as motivation I just look down at my belly and think of my brothers in firefighting and corrections who need me to perform at my best. Don't know if this helps.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I love running, but didn't follow any particular plan when I started, kinda fell into it. However, I have heard many great things, and am sure others will chime in with this recommendation, for using a Couch to 5k (C25k) app (from Zen Labs I believe is the one generally recommended). It using run/walk intervals, slowly increasing the run intervals over time, to get you up to a full 5k. If you decide to continue beyond that I believe they also have a C210k program as well.
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Start by doing 1 mile, then five minute walk then a second mile. Repeat a few times, then do 1 mile, five minute walk second mile five minute walk then third mile and a five minute walk. Repeat a few times then try and build up to five or six miles. Once you can do this, take out the five minute walks. Aim to try and get to five or six miles in under an hour.
    Good luck!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    C25k

This.

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Tip 1: C25K
    Tip 2: Call it running, not jogging. :)
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Look up Chi Running or Pose Running... it will help with your running form and your shins and knees will thank you!
  • aimsmae
    aimsmae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have another question: how do you usually breathe while running? I have google this but there is many different ways to do it...
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like running and find it fun. There is this thing i do that i call the point of no return. For the first 10-15 maybe 20 mins, the run will be tough and possibly miserable/not fun. After a certain point the miserableness/not fun goes away for me and the rest is a peace of cake and enjoyable. This is quite possibly what they call "Runners high". This might help if you focus on it, for me its really subtle and sometimes i don't even notice it, but if i think about it while running i usually notice it.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    And as for breathing you want to breathe from the bottom of your lungs (taking slow full breaths). This prevents cramps that happen to your sides.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Tip 1: C25K
    Tip 2: Call it running, not jogging. :)

When I run with my mother she always says "run like they called you a jogger!" :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Start small. C25K or some other running program will give you a focus and daily goal to reach, which makes your training easier.
    Run slow. You'll think you're already going slow but you need to slow down yet some more. Speed will come in time.
    Get good shoes, properly fit at a Running Store. Your body will thank you.
    Run slower. Really, one tool is to not run fast. It is possible to run slower than you walk.

Have fun. Never forget to do that.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Weights. To strengthen your
    Core and quads. Will make running a breeze.