Eating carbs on rest day

Options
AndH
AndH Posts: 13 Member
Hi I need help! Totally confused as I have been following a 3 month training plan in which you eat low-carb on rest days and moderate carbs on training days (the body coach). Now I am looking to graduate to counting macros and the advice I have read is to eat carbs at 51% every day. I train 4 times per week. I am worried that I will not get lean if I eat that many carbs. Also the advice tells me to eat 2798 kcal which seems a lot!
I'm new to all this so would welcome advice
Thanks
Andrea

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You seem to be confused as to the reason training plans advice this. They recommend extra carbs on training days to fuel your workout, carbs being the key source of energy burned, this is the opposite on non-training days your body doesn't need that extra fuel. It has nothing to with toning or loosing weight.
    Eat your macros as you wish, its always wise to have a little carbs in the bank for training but your body will find other sources if you choose to go low carb full time.

As for the calorie intake I would use a TDEE calculator rather than plugging details into an app, safer measurement in my eyes that way you know what you are burning and what a suitable calorie range should be for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2800 cals seems a lot if that number includes a deficit? Is that what mfp gave you?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel like you wont get lean if you eat carbs ?you seem to be mistaken. Carbs don't cause people to gain weight or not lose weight. A calorie surplus does. Carbs are nothing to fear unless you have a medical condition. I ate about 190 G of carbs per day while losing and had no problems. I lost all my weight and have kept it off without issue. Don't believe the hype, carbs aren't your enemy.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Do not eat less carbs on rest days, how do you think you repair? The TDEE you calculate is for EVERY day taking into account the 4x a week exercise so imo you shouldn't really eat any less
  • AndH
    Options
    2800 cals seems a lot if that number includes a deficit? Is that what mfp gave you?

It's what the website Train Eat Gain calculated for me, based on body weight 156lb and activity level of moderate activity and body fat 23%. So my maintenance is
    2811 kcal with protein of 120g. Then it has calculated a deficit = 2699 kcal.

How will I ever eat that much. Does that sound right to you? Eating will be a full time job
  • eypat2016
    eypat2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should be eating around 11 calories per pound of bodyweight. That gives you 156x11= 1716. Macros at 40% carbs, 30 % protein and 30% healthy fats.
    I don't know where the app you mentioned got those figures they gave you from, but they are way out.
    Unless you want to gain fat of course!
    No didn't think so. Try it. It will work.
  • AndH
    Options
    eypat2016 wrote: »
    You should be eating around 11 calories per pound of bodyweight. That gives you 156x11= 1716. Macros at 40% carbs, 30 % protein and 30% healthy fats.
    I don't know where the app you mentioned got those figures they gave you from, but they are way out.
    Unless you want to gain fat of course!
    No didn't think so. Try it. It will work.

Thanks that seems much more sensible. I will go with that