Low calorie, high protein suggestions?

Options
I'm having trouble hitting my protein goal for the day. I'm not a big meat eater so that's not an option for me. I just tried making my first protein shake yesterday but it made me nauseous. I'm thinking I'll try again another day for a time other than breakfast. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, greek yogurt, low fat cheese, soy products, beans.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I love boneless skinless chicken dipped in hot sauce. I get a lot of protein that way.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Triple zero yogurt
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, yogurt, quest bars, and jerky.
  • housemaus
    housemaus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quinoa or just google protein rich foods.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal, and why? Most people get enough without supplements. Have some food that contains protein for every meal, each food doesn't have to be high protein, it adds up: Grains, vegetables, eggs, meat, fish and shellfish, dairy and nuts.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Try experimenting with your protein shakes. What brand of protein powder are you using?

I'm not a huge meat eater and I've found that dairy causes me to bloat so I try to stay away from yogurt. I typically drink a protein shake on my way to work as my breakfast. I've found that my favorite brand is EAS 100% whey.... only chocolate. and I've tried about 15-20 other brands and always go back to it. I use Genepro when I want to mix protein powder in my fruit smoothies because it's flavorless. I also put it my 11 yr old daughter's smoothies and she doesn't know. Lol

In terms of variety, I mix the powder with water, coffee or almond milk. Sometimes I put I put in a banana, PB 2, real peanut butter, or 1 tbsp of sugar free fat free pudding mix.
  • justlosingtheweight
    justlosingtheweight Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Milk and eggs are good, you could buy some protein powder and mix a bit with normal milkshake flavour to try mask the taste
  • justlosingtheweight
    justlosingtheweight Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're not a big meat eater but chicken and tuna are also good for protein, you could try doing a salad or veggies or pasta with it or something
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Try experimenting with your protein shakes. What brand of protein powder are you using? ....... I've found that my favorite brand is EAS 100% whey.... only chocolate

+1 for this. All protein shakes are NOT created equal, in terms of taste and texture. I also like EAS the best, after lots of taste testing, but I go for their vanilla cream: it mixes well into things like oatmeal and pancake batter to up the protein in a non-obvious way. When I want a chocolate shake, I add some cocoa powder.

Also, I'm not a big fan of yogurt as a food on its own (or just with fruit or flavor), but I do mix it into other dishes to add flavor and protein. For example, I just about always add it to eggs.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lentils, Seitan, beans, hemp seed, different protein shake (the shake your drinking may not mix with you, does it have dairy in it?)
    What is your protein goal for the day. It's usually (.36 x body weight).
    1 cup of lentils is about equal to 3 eggs in calories and has the same amount of protein.